Monday, September 21, 2009

A good bathroom

I was in the bathroom at my local Burger King today.

The one by the Kennewick Walmart. It's convenient since it's more or less up the street for me.

Anyway, back to the bathroom.

While I certainly wouldn't call it the finest of public restrooms, I did notice a few things that I highly prize in that sort of public facility.

A. The purse hook .
The purse hook was down fairly low.
I know that may seem a small thing, and it is, but I like it nice and low.
The fact that a,"How to avoid being a victim while traveling" show,
pointed out that a thief could always reach in and grab your purse from the hook just under the top of the door, has made me even more cautious than usual.

Granted, even I have to admit that the logistics of such a theft seem pretty unlikely.
But, better safe than sorry I always say.

Back to my pleasant restroom experience:

B. The sink.
The sink was another high point.
It was a nice, normal, easy to reach the faucet, pedestal sink.
It seems that these days a lot of public sinks are made for looks more than proper functioning. One of the new designs is to have one long and very deep sink, with several water spouts and soap dispensers included in it's one piece design.

Attractive; Yes.

Functionally Appropriate; No.

The problem with those streamlined sinks is that the water faucets are set too far back into the sink itself.
You have to lean across the stupid thing to use it.
And just try to find a child who can navigate the silly thing without leaving a huge puddle of water right in front of it.

I am SICK of getting my clothing wet because of all the water you can't avoid. I guess for those lucky few who are more than six feet tall it probably isn't a problem. But,for we, the shorter majority, well you just better plan on using plenty of paper towels.
Of course the paper towels provided do little when it comes to soaking up the small lake in front of the sink.

I know.

I've tried.

Side note: It has been my experience that Hotel sinks are the same way. There's no way to avoid getting toothpaste globs everywhere because the faucet (the source of the water you know) is so FAR away!

Now while I'm on the subject of paper towels, I do need to include my general approval of them.

C. Paper towels.

Yes they are worthless for sopping up all of the excess water.
But brother, if I have a choice between a pitifully weak hand blower and a handful of paper towels, you better believe that I'll take those towels every time.

I have found ONE exception to the typical,wimpy, lethargic, hand blower.

Target,
the new one in Richland, not the old Kennewick one, for those of you who are local.
Their bathroom employs the use of a hand blower that is so strong I bet it could power an Airplane.

I LOVE that thing.

You get to watch as the skin on your hands, tries it's hardest to jump ship. I never realized just how loose the skin on my hands was until I used that thing.
How they fit a category 3 hurricane into that innocent looking, little silver hand blowing machine on the wall, is a mystery to me.
But damn, I love it!

Well that is pretty much it as far as Burger King's bathroom is concerned.
It was clean.
It had a decent sink.
Plenty of paper towels.
And a nice low, theft preventative purse hook.

By no means a grand bathroom.
No automatic anything.
No decor to speak of, not even any noticeable color.

But as far as public Restrooms go, I have to give it a Big Thumbs Up!

Ten BIG points for you, 27th Ave, Kennewick, Burger King!

11 comments:

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Target probably has one of those Dyson hand blowers.. those things are amazing!!

Amanda said...

Susan, I just love the way that you write!! You have made some valid points.
We are just back from a weekend away and the sink was so high and far back that I had to lift Callum up just to wash his hands or to spit out his toothpaste.

I'm sorry that I haven't been by to "visit" for a while. I'm off now to read through your previous posts. Hope you and your family are all well.

Love,
Amanda x

Amanda said...

Susan, I just love the way that you write!! You have made some valid points.
We are just back from a weekend away and the sink was so high and far back that I had to lift Callum up just to wash his hands or to spit out his toothpaste.

I'm sorry that I haven't been by to "visit" for a while. I'm off now to read through your previous posts. Hope you and your family are all well.

Love,
Amanda x

Jeanette said...

I agree on all points! I would add a toilet that isn't too low. Being 5'11", when the toilet is too low, I almost always fall trying to sit down. Public bathrooms are not the place I want to fall on the floor. :) At work, we have those extreme hand dryers. If you are sitting in the lounge you can hear it. I always know who washes and who doesn't. I mentally put them in my "ick" catagory when I hear they didn't wash. ;)

dani said...

i concur on all accounts, suz!!! i even prefer paper over the dyson blowers (although they do rock, ha;) because i like to use the paper to use on the door handles when i exit... (i've never understood why bathroom doors don't open out instead of in???)
much love,
dani xxx

Amy J. said...

Oh my goodness...your description of the Target dryer has me rolling!!! Love it.

I too have a huge respect for clean public bathrooms. A huge pet pieve of mine is the dark hard water stains around the faucet! These do come off people with a little bit of scrubbing! I know, I clean my dad's bathroom at the autobody shop and after ONE time of chiseling that nasty dark crud off with a knife...it wipes clean every time. I can't tell you how many times I have been tempted to pick away at that stuff just to show their cleaning person that yes, it can be done! They probably wouldn't notice.

My Three Sons said...

I love this post! You love a clean public restroom as much as I do! Go BK!

btw, I've never seen the youtube video for the twins' "favorite song", so now I'm nervous...off to youtube I go, as well, and my apologies if the video isn't as harmless as the song!

Jennybell said...

I was in an awesome bathroom yesterday! Next time I'm taking my camera!
The mall in Strongsvill OH has a family restroom with about 5 changing areas, 2 rooms with rocking chairs and privacy curtains for breastfeeding, a microwave, baby wipes, and the room with the toilet has an adult and a child potty and sink. It had the paper towel or blower option.
The entrance has a lounge area with couches and a TV that's always tuned in to old cartoons.
This post also reminds me of a this... A relative said they went on a road trip with my Great Aunt and when they stopped to use a gas station restroom my Aunt Helen went in a stall and exclaimed "Oh great! Another woman's restroom designed by a man!" apparently there was hardly room to turn and to sit down and rise back up without hitting your head on the door was a challenge.

SuzanSayz said...

I just realized that that was going to be another reason why I liked BKs bathroom. The stall was big enough to accomodate turning around, sitting, basically anything one would need to do that so many other bathroom stalls are too small for.
That's what happens when I rush my way through a post.

Heidi D said...

If we're on the road I can almost always count on McDonald's to have the best bathrooms.

If I'm at the mall, I either go to Macy's, JC Penny's, or Nordstrom's.

Lisa Christine said...

You better hope that Jennifer doesn't come across this post....she literally freaks out at the mention of anything bathroom related!

He he he.

thanks for the bathroom info. Next time I find myself in need to go while near 27th and HWY 395 I know where to go.