Sunday, April 21, 2013

A lot more good than bad






I actually am going to write a new post. Last week, Don and Shawn and I were in Portland. We spent one day riding the TriMet trains through Downtown Portland.

We love the adventure of it.

At one stop, while waiting for a train, I saw a young mother with two little boys. She was talking to the oldest one about how she expected him to behave when they got on the train. Her youngest son was in a really old beat up umbrella stroller. I was really impressed with how she was with her boys. She sat by us on the train and she was just so good with her little boys it made me smile.

I suddenly had an idea that I wanted to do something nice for her. I quietly pulled my wallet to the top of my purse and looked in it to see how much cash I had on me.

I had 27.00.
Not much really.

But then I thought of my youngest daughter Courtney and how 27.00 to her is a lot. Especially if it's money she wasn't expecting.
So, I took it out of my purse and kind of folded it into the palm of my hand. When we got to the young woman's stop I quickly stopped her and handed her the money and told her it was for her and her sweet little boys.

I know it really took her by surprise but she was extremely gracious and thanked me and was a little choked up. I watched her as we went on by, showing the money to her oldest son and it felt so good to see how happy they were. I've decided that I'm going to try to always have at least 20.00 on me at all times in case I run into someone who needs a little shot of sunshine in their lives. Because, you know, it just felt so good to make a little difference to someone like that.

I know I'm not alone in doing these kinds of things.

After the week we've had, seeing the worst of humanity, but also the very best of it. I have to really agree with the sentiments that have been going around that there is much more good in this world than bad.

I really do believe this.

I think we have an obligation to this world to be nice and kind and to be on the lookout for people who need a little extra happiness in their day.

I don't mean money either.

Just to smile at people and to say kind things to them and have patience with them. Everyone is capable of bringing little bits of happy to those around them.

Sorry, if this sounds preachy. I don't mean it to.

I just want the good people of this world to so completely outnumber the bad. And I would love to hear about whatever you do to make someone's day a little bit brighter.

0 comments: