Monday, June 27, 2011

Susan's Fashion Flubbery

Another oldie but a goodie. This blogging business really is the closest thing to keeping a journal I have ever done.


It is quarter to six Monday evening and I am home alone.

I like being home alone.

It hardly ever happens.

And the reason I am home alone is because I didn't go to the function I was suppose to go to with Shawn.

Don went instead.

I was going to go to this function and then use it for fodder for my blog. Well obviously that won't happen now. But I just now realized that I can write a blog about not going.

Confused?

I will explain.

I wonder if any of you know Donna Tracy? I know that Kim and Richard do because apparently she lives by them. Well Donna is one of the sweetest most sincere people you could ever hope to meet.

How do I know her you might ask.

I know her, because she works, as one of the directors, at the ARC. She is the one letting Shawn be a volunteer this summer at Partners and Pals, the ARCs summer camp. Well Donna called me last Tuesday or maybe Wednesday ( I never remember details like that.) She called to tell me about a golf tournament, slash, fund raiser, dinner, being held tonight to benefit the ARC. The Arc has outgrown their current building in Richland and they are planning to build a new one to better serve their needs, and because of this they are doing various fund raising type activities.

Donna didn't tell me about this particular fundraiser because she thought I should be up-dated on the ARC's every move.

No. She told me about it because she wanted Shawn and I to go to it and kinda be spokespeople for the great programs through the Arc that Shawn has participated in and enjoyed so much.
I told her yes of course we could do it.

Then comes the STRESS!

It is being held at the Meadow Springs Country Club from here on known as MSCC. It will be attended by MSCC type people. People that have money to donate to causes such as this. People that are used to fancy dinners. People that know just the right way to dress for occasions like this.

People who are Movers and Shakers.

I am not a Mover or Shaker. I have no desire to be one either. But I do have a desire to help out the ARC because they are such a worthy organization, and they have done so much for Shawn, and for so many other people like Shawn.

So I told Donna yes, and then immediately started to freak out. I had absolutely NO idea what I would wear to something like this. She said she wasn't quite sure either. Something she said, like business casual.

Business casual?????

Even though I can picture what that would be for a man, after all it is a golf tournament. So the men will have on nice casual slacks and nice polo shirts. But I could not picture in my mind what that would translate into for a woman. Donna wasn't really sure either. She said that she was probably going to wear some nice slacks and a nice shirt.

AAAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH! ! ! !

I have nice casual clothes. At this time of the year, I wear mostly Capri pants and nice casual tops. I think I look pretty put together for a stay home mom. But, and this is a big BUT. I see women all the time that work, and look very polished and professional. Also I watch "What Not To Wear" and "How Do I Look. "

I have always wondered how Stacy and Clinton would pick me apart.

I don't have the slightest clue how to look polished and professional. I have always admired women that are, but that is not me. Well I decided to go out and at least try to find something suitable.

I went to Catherine's. The store for Larger Women. Because no two ways about it I am a Larger Woman. Now this doesn't really bother me too much, believe it or not. I'm more comfortable with myself now than I have ever been.

Okay, off to Catherine's.

They have nothing, NOTHING. Everything has a sailor motif with stars and anchors. Or jungle prints. And last, but not least, embroidered flowers. Mind you I don't have a problem with embroidered flowers.

FOR MY MOTHER.

Okay, I tell myself, don't panic. Where have you seen the kind of clothes you have in mind. Hmmm? Gee where do I spend the most time shopping and where do I buy a lot of my clothing?

Walmart.

That's right Walmart and I'm not even embarrassed to admit it. They have a lot of really cute plus size clothes. I can also fit into quite a few of their regular sizes in an extra large.

Yeah, Walmart, good idea.

Well I get to Walmart and start looking around and they suddenly seem like Super Casual Central. There are a few nicer looking, slack type Capri's. The problem is that they have cuffs and they are so long, that instead of looking like nice corporate type Capri's, I will look like I am ready for a flood. So, no, to the nice cuffed slightly corporate looking Capri's. Then I think, wait a minute. In my closet is a pair of very nice looking blue and white plaid Capri's that look really nice on me.

TA DA!

I will wear these. Okay pants problem solved. One less thing. Now what to wear with my nice blue and white plaid Capri's? I usually wear a cute white short sleeve top and I think I look pretty good. But, Usually when I see the women dressed the way I am hoping to dress, they don't have on knit tops. Oh No. Woven. It's almost always some kind of button down woven top. Okay. Okay, I tell myself. Don't panic. How hard can it be to find a nice button down woven top? I go back to the plus size section of Walmart. And there it is. A really cute, sort of young looking, woven, button down, plus size top, that even comes in white. And it looks like the tops I have seen in several other stores, which is good, because even though I do love to buy clothing from Walmart, I didn't really want to walk into the MSCC wearing something that screamed,

Yeah that's right, she bought me at WALMART!!!!


And, as luck would have it, it's even the kind of top that Courtney keeps telling me I should get. Okay, time to try it on. Now I am a little bit nervous because it has puffed sleeves. Puffed sleeves seem to be really popular right now. And even though I don't have a problem per-say with puffed sleeves, I do think that women with a certain arm circumference are best off avoiding puffed sleeves. I suddenly remember that, this is exactly why I haven't let Courtney talk me into buying one of these shirts. Oh well. Oh well. Desperate times and all.

I do end up getting a much bigger size than I need because those sleeves look SO TIGHT.

And as a matter of fact they were tight.

New dilemma.

Do I get the size that fits me all over but is a little squeezy on my arms? Or do I go with the comfortable arms and look like I am drowning in the shirt?

I decide to do what women have done throughout history. Suffer for fashion. I get the size that fits all over but kinda squeezes my arms.

Boy, if I were only in charge of sizing plus size clothing. Of course that is a whole different blog.

Now I have the top. I have the Capri's. What else do I need?

Proper footwear of course.

I have some really cute white slides that are just a little bit dressy without really being dressy. Yes, Yes, those will be good. But then I start to think. I have been wearing these since last summer and maybe they aren't as nice looking as they use to be because they have seen a lot of wear.

AAAAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! AGAIN!!!!!

Well I finally came up with a solution that was so perfect I really don't know why it took me so long to think of it. Do you want to know what I finally did? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


I told Don to take Shawn and go to it instead of me.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

10 comments:

Debie Spurgeon said...

Oh no, no. I really, really wanted you to go and report of the lifestyles of the rich and famous. But if you would have gone I wouldn't have got to read these hilarious thoughts of yours.

I know Donna and she is an angel.

Lisa Christine said...

This was great. I enjoyed reading every sentence. You are a very talented writer.....I know where Donald gets it.

That is totally something I would have done. But I decided several years back to make a solid effort never to attend any function in which I don't feel totally comfortable. Terrible, I know, but it's my life and I don't want to put myself through any unwanted stress.

However, sometimes these functions cannot be avoided. So I have one "back up" outfit sitting in my closet that I can where if the occasion rises....which hopefully it won't.

So, I am sure you must have asked Don what people were wearing. And I am sure you didn't get an answer that gave you any clear picture.

Stacey and Clinton....love them. They would tear me apart too, I'm sure, but I love them still. The chemistry between them is classic.

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Okay, as the first "Guy Commenter" to this post, I have to admit, I dress "Business Casual" monday through thursday. It is NOT my natural wardrobe choice, but I've learned to be comfortable in it, and losing 40 pounds has certainly helped.

My secret weapon in this fashion jungle is my wife Cindy, who is also my personal fashion designer. Just last week, she came home from Costco with three new shirts (woven, button up) and a new pair of slacks for me to wear... I'm wearing one of the shirts today, and I've got to say - I am SO glad I don't have to actually pick this stuff out myself!!

So what did Don wear? What did Shawn wear??

SuzanSayz said...

Yeah I guess I should have mentioned that. I went to Walmart and got Don a nice pair of dark blue slacks and a really nice white with small navy stripes polo shirt. He looked so corporate. Shawn, who refuses to wear any kind of buttoned shirt with a collar (that even includes polo shirts) wore his sunday khaki pants and a nice striped short sleeve T-shirt.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, boy can I relate! I may be able to find cute stuff for Mike but I often look like I got dressed in the dark! yoga pants and t-shirts work pretty much daily for me. The daycare kids don't seem to mind and Mike likes the "casual, I just got done working out look"- blech. These kind of events stress me out too, although I do think its fun to dress up once in a while. Glad Don could make it in your place :)

I think you are always beautiful and well put together!

luv ya, Cindy

Jeanette said...

Loved the post! I think you stole my thoughts from my last shopping experience!

My sister Suzette (click on her profile through my blog to see more) works for the ARC of Houston. I don't know if it's the same there. She is an autism teacher and spends her summer now taking autistic and down syndrome children, teens, and adults on camping expeditions. If it is the same organization, it's amazing.

The Donald said...

I was wanting to go to the shindig, but the old man informed me at work that he was going to be the replacement for your original replacement. Me.

Anonymous said...

it is those times I am glad I don't live by you...I have a feeling I would have been sucked into the madness.

Closed for Business said...

I shop online. We don't have stores for giants around here.

Marsh was a Partners & Pals counselor. He LOVED it! It is also where he discovered that he is ADHD. He said these kids are just like me!

David said...

i went clothes shopping this week, and i wished that i had stacey and clinton with me!