Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Just Thinking

I don't have a specific topic today, mostly just the "Stream of consciousness" thing going on, I even have a commercial.

There is a house I drive by quite often. It is in an old, not very affluent, neighborhood. Now the house itself would not stand out as any different from any other house on the block. It's not painted with a really wild color, it has the same windows as all the other houses around it. It doesn't have anything new or fancy to distinguish it from it's sister houses, like say a brand new solid oak door with windows and intricate carving all around. No, none of that. It's just your typical 50 to 60 year old, 13 to 15 hundred foot, boring old house. So why do I, not only notice this house, but find it interesting enough to write a post about it?

Because it has flowers.

I'm sure you are thinking, "Flowers? Big deal. Almost every house I see has flowers." and you would be correct. Flowers are certainly an ordinary enough kind of lawn decor to not raise any eyebrows. But this house, well more like the people that live in the house, have tried something new in the beautification by flowers shtick. The lovely flowers gracing this yard are all. . . . . . .


Artificial!

Yes artificial. And I don't mean that they have a vase out front and it contains a bunch of fake flowers in it. Believe it or not I have seen that use of faux flowers before and if done correctly it can be quite attractive. But no. No tactful decorating for these people. They have an actual flower bed, and that flower bed is planted with real, artificial, flowers.

I suspect they are from the dollar store.

I suspect that, because, there are also all kinds of little statues or figurines, whatever you would call these kinds of things, all over the yard as well. Don't get me wrong. I don't have anything against the dollar store. I find it a handy little place to go to find all kinds of useful items.

It just never occurred to me to go there for my landscaping needs.

So yes, we have in my town a house decorated with, well I guess, planted with, would be the better description, all kinds of lovely artificial flowers. These people definitely know how to decorate with flowers. They not only have them in the ground, but to add a more sophisticated air, they also have several potted fake flowers. There are other fancy decor items stuck into the ground as well, like pinwheels.

I remember when I first laid eyes on this house.

I had to go around the block to come back and take a second look, in case my eyes really did deceive me. I wanted to park in front and really take my time looking at all of that artificial beauty. The problem is the house is right off of a major street in town and there really isn't any where in front, appropriate for parking. Plus I didn't want to be that obvious.

To be honest that house with all of it's "creative" yard work, really brought out my inner critic. I do admit to an inner critic. In fact a lot of the time it isn't even very inner. It's usually more of an outie.

I considered that house to be the very definition of TACKY.

Fortunately I have Courtney. Courtney, unless it has to do with me of course, has a pretty quiet inner critic. She is with me quite often when I drive by the "tacky" house. It bothered her that I found it so lacking in taste. She informed me that she always thought of it as the "FUN" house on the block.

That got me to thinking.

The next few times I drove by, I decided to see it the way Courtney sees it. I started to think that maybe, it was an eccentric little old lady that lived there, who due to arthritis and just plain being very old could not do the garden thing anymore. I realized that for someone who couldn't get out there and dig and plant, and also, probably, would have very poor vision, that fake flowers would seem like the perfect solution. Or, or, maybe a young couple live there. Maybe they always wanted a well flowered yard. Maybe they both work and don't have a lot of free time to spend on a garden. Or, perhaps every live flower they have ever planted died within a week.

That does happen sometimes you know.

I have realized that I actually really liked this house now. I have decided to no longer see it as tacky. I have decided to join in with Courtney, and see it as one of Kennewick's "fun" houses. There certainly are other unusual and interesting houses sprinkled throughout my beloved Tri- Cities.

Next: School Supplies

What is it about school supplies that make them so irresistible?

This is the second year that I have been without a child to send back to school. In some ways it's really nice. When I was sending Shawn off to school every morning, I had to be up by 6 AM to get that kid ready in time for his bus. He is not an easy person to try and hurry up. So my solution was to get up nice and early. You honestly can NOT rush this kid. If you tell him he needs to hurry, every single time he will have one response. "I am hurrying!" That is the best you will ever get when trying to rush him along. So that is one thing about having a child in school that I will never miss.

But boy do I miss buying school supplies.

I'm not entirely sure what compels me. I guess I just have a weakness for crayons, pencils, notebooks, and binders. And on top of that, those darn office supply stores, as well as your local Walmarts and Targets have all those things on sale for the most indecent prices. How on earth is someone supposed to stay away from crayola brand 24 pack crayons priced at 22 cents. And then there are all of the notebook paper sales. I don't know about you but 15 cents for the first two reams of college rule is just too tempting to pass up. In fact I have so much leftover notebook paper, I could probably see a kid through at least five years of school. I have found a somewhat acceptable method of avoiding the temptations of unnecessary school supply shopping.

I simply refuse to look at those stores' adds. So far I have not bought so much as even a package of "Two packs of pink erasers. 25 cents" Well I guess I did buy two packs of "Twin Glue sticks" for 20 cents each. Get that? That makes them 10 cents a piece!!! But hey, there are all kinds of non-school related uses for glue sticks. Aren't there?

Well aren't there???

And now a word from our sponsor (in other words, here is the commercial)

Do you ever get cold sores? I do. I have only had a few of them, but they sure are awful. That's why as soon as I started to get a cold sore last Wednesday, I rushed right into Target and bought myself a tube of ABREVA. I had never tried ABREVA before but I was so horrified at the thought of a cold sore that I was willing to give it a try. The last cold sore I had took more than two weeks to completely dissapear. I started applying the ABREVA to my cold sore five times a day as directed and within two and a half days there was absolutely NO SIGN of a cold sore anywhere. I couldn't believe it. How many times have you ever bought an over the counter medication that actually worked. I am completely sold on ABREVA now.


The only thing that worries me is the FDA finding out that it really works and pulling it off the shelves.

They do that you know.

Oh, they will never admit to it but they do. There used to be this OTC cough syrup that actually worked. Every time. So guess what? When I went back to buy more, it was no where to be seen. I asked the pharmacist about it and he said that he did remember that certain brand. He also agreed that it was a most effective cough remedy. Then he told me in "mostly" all seriousness, that the FDA must have made the manufacturers stop making it because it was too affective.
So I just might buy a couple more tubes of ABREVA in case our friend the FDA decides to pull another cough syrup, incident again.

Well these are the things I have spent the last few days thinking about. Your thoughts?

18 comments:

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

First off, that's a great picture of you playing Spokesmodel!

The "Fun" house doesn't sound so unforgivably tacky... But there's a house here in Tacoma that definitely IS unforgivably tacky.

And Fun.

This house has its yard decorated year round, with dozens - even hundreds - of inflatable ornaments. This time of year, when there really isn't a holiday nearby which has visually identifiable icons, the entire yard is covered (yes, I really do mean covered) in American flags, flag pinwheels, flag holding figurines, etc. I guess the owner is very glad to be living in a land where he's free to decorate his property any way he sees fit.

I've thought for the past year or two that I need to make a year long photolog of that house. Maybe the coming year (starting maybe tomorrow) will finally be that year.

Then you'll know... that the fake flowers are quite tasteful and elegant in comparison.

dani said...

suz, you had me cracking up through this whole post!!!
i want to see a picture of the not tacky, fun house so that i can compare it with my mental image:b
as soon as i started reading about your back to school supply envy i could totally smell crayolas (even though that's all i have been able to smell for the past 3 days... i love allergies:S)
and, finally, i thought the same thing was going to happen with the zapzyt that i buy for katherine's blemishes. proactive doesn't work for her; but zapzyt does. there were a couple of weeks that i couldn't find it anywhere... probably because it works...
have a great night!!!
love,
dani

Jan said...

Kudo's to Courtney. I love how she did that little changing the way you see things trick. I really really like that. It happens to me to. Where I look at something different, and then it is way better.

Abreva huh. I will have to remember that. You might get a job now from that company. Or maybe become the new spokes person. You will be found out though. And they will love it. Thanks for telling us though. I do get them on occasion.

School supplies are all about cute in this house. Why do they have to make cute things to compete with the sale ones? Sneaky.

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I love the fun quarky houses around, they bring a nice or different kind of character to the neighborhood :)

see you this weekend!

Lisa Christine said...

OK, where is this house! We all need to go on a drive by together. I love Courtney's attitude. Why not just see it as fun...as someone who wants to add a little color and life to the neighborhood?

Now school supplies. Ah....one of the many reasons that I love fall. Is there anything better than school supplies...I don't think so. Why are they so tempting? Me, who is not one to buy just to buy...me, who hates clutter...me, who thinks everything must have a purpose...I have to wander through the school supplies aisle and take it all in. Love it, love it. And as you have just finished your years of justifiable school supply shopping...I am just BEGINNING!!! Hurray!!! Years and years ahead of me of HAVING to buy pencils and paper and fresh beautiful crayons. I am giddy just thinking about it!

Great pic...if abreva sees this they'll hire you on as a spokesperson for sure!

KaTrina said...

I'm pretty sure I kind of know what house it is...Now don't ask me to name the road but is it the one by the "curvy" hill before the grange?

The Donald said...

Mom, if you took a pic holding a tube of cream, why didn't you also take a pic of the house? I want to see it too.

Stephanie said...

I love school supplies at bargain prices too. But like you no more little ones to get ready for school And finally no more trying to get Elisabeth to the bus on time. Thank goodness.
I must admit I did break down and buy 5 boxes of 24 crayola crayons.
For 20 cents each I just had to have them for any children that come over. Paper I have enough for a year supply.

Ditto Donald's comment. I want to see a picture.

Marilyn said...

Susan, even though I don't comment here often, I do love to read your thoughts. The one thing that stuck out to me in this post, is that even though I don't know Courtney well, the one thing I have always felt about her is that she is a very non-judgmental person. She seems like an unconditional lover. I love that about her...and it makes me want to get to know her better.

tharker said...

I always get a kick out of those artificial flowers. Spencer's grandma used to have them in her flower beds. The dear sweet woman was getting too old to take care of a garden, but still wanted the beauty of flowers, so she "planted" plastic tulips and roses! It was so funny, but I have to say, I bet it really brightened her dark cloudy winter days to step outside and see a bright tulip staring back at her!

I too love school supplies. Does your stake have a school supply drive for their Humanitarian project? If they do, then you could buy all the crayons, pencils, and erasers you want and feel great about it!

Okay, I've always wondered about Abreva, and if it actually works. Now, I'm convinced I need to try it. Thanks for the commercial!

Mandi said...

I love your so called "Just thinking" posts!!!! Seriously.

From reading all the other comments, you know you have to take a picture of the plastic flower house now - dont you???

I love school supplies too, but they sound a whole lot cheaper there than here!!!

As for the FDA pulling effective products, that is such a pissy thing to do. I know that feeling. When my kids were younger the only asprin type products I could get them to take was Tylenol childrens chewable tables, they were quite hard to get here and I ended up having to order them in at my pharmacy - no problem that was fine. I would buy 4 boxes at once (which would last the whole year) anyway - they have completely taken them off the market and you cannot even order them in - no really, go figure!!!

I have found a replacement - Neurofen childrens chewables, (this is mainly for my 11 year old, the older once just take the normal stuff now).

Have a great day my friend......xx

Anonymous said...

yea, yes, and ditto.

We have a house like that in our neighborhood. It's a cute old couple that changes them when they start to fade. Pointsettias (sp?), daisies, roses, bluebonnets. Strangely endearing.

Medicine. I know that cough syrup you're talking about. I hate that! To hear from a pharmicist that the FDA would actually take it off the shelf for working too well...only in America! What awesome government employee got to make that decision. How do they even sleep at night?

Love you pic. Love your hair

Debie Spurgeon said...

What a sweetheart Courtney is, looking for the positive. Now I'll have to journey over to your area to check out the fun house.

I totally agree on the school supplies, I LOVE THEM.

I am going to Wal-mart today to get some ABREVA. Dallin has a cold sore on it's way. Thanks for the tip.

Janice Head said...

You know that could have been Grandma Brinkerhoff's house! I think they had 99cent stores when she was still alive, and I'm sure she loved them. Good for Courtney. I bet Eastgate or Park have boxes to donate school supplies, I know our church collects them for Marcus Whitman.

Jeanette said...

I love your stream of conciousiness!

I have mixed feelings about school supplies. When my oldest girl was going into Kindergarten, I bought all these cute supplies with the Disney Princesses and Strawberry Shortcake, etc. I carefully marked her name on all of her supplies and off she went for the first day of school. She came home crying because the teacher took up all of her supplies (as she did for the whole class) and then my daughter got someone elses supplies. I called the teacher and asked her why this happened and she said, "Some of the students in our district can't afford all the nice popular/trendy supplies, so we take them all up and then reassign them to even the playing field." So in other words, the mom who sent her child to school with the .15 plain jane, vanilla notebook gets to go home with my childs $1.25 Disney notebook. Now that's fair!? Oh, but the poor child has to have an ugly black mark from a sharpie where my child's name once was. Makes me so mad. It punishes my children. My husband calls them the "Supply Nazi's".

Sorry for leaving the rant in your comments section. I guess I should have left it as a post on my own blog!

p.s. I'd love to see the picture of the flowers too.

Amy J. said...

I think you are too funny! Your Prize Package will be in the mail on Tuesday (since the post office will be closed on Monday) Enjoy! (All three ladies that won are my cousins! Aubrey is my cousin on my mom's side.) How cool is that!

libbie said...

I have got to see this house also! Sounds like "FUN!!!"

My Three Sons said...

I think I know where that house is! Do they also have all kinds of other yard decorations to go along with the artificial flowers? I want you to know how much I enjoyed your's and your husband's talks yesterday. You both did a fantastic job and were very touching. I loved your story about the YW leader who prayed to know how many bandanas to buy...oh, how I wish I had that kind of faith!!