Monday, September 29, 2008

Tag! I'm it.

I have been tagged by my great friend Mandi. I've only been tagged once before and I managed to make a super long, extremely wordy, post of it. So watch out here I go.

Five weird things about myself you don't know.

1. Hmmm, this is going to be hard. I'm not exactly a secretive person, which means I've probably revealed more about myself already than common sense would ever dictate. I think though that I will start with this one.

I love a good Dictionary.

And by this I really do mean a GOOD Dictionary. I can't stand those wimpy little dictionaries that don't even have a word like conundrum a word that means "a riddle, or something confusing". No these dictionaries have cat but not contraption. Is there really anyone out there that needs help spelling jam, or house? I am actually a pretty good speller, but that's not the point. Sometimes I just like to verify that I have a spelling correct. And as many of you know the spellcheck here on blogger is pretty dismal.

2. When I was a child, I hated soda pop, potato chips, popcorn and chocolate ice cream. For the most part I like all those foods (and drinks) now. Well that's not entirely true. I only like chocolate ice cream if it's a nice dark chocolate with lots of interesting things swirled into it. Like those small containers of Godiva ice cream?

Heaven.

Also I still don't like many Cola drinks, or any soda that is highly carbonated. I do however LOVE popcorn. Especially Movie popcorn. I don't like a lot of the microwave popcorns however. They are WAY too salty. I hate that. I usually look for Home Style. Just the right amount of salt and artificial butter flavor.

3. I love to read. I don't limit myself to a certain genre either. I can enjoy a well written kid's chapter book as well as Anne Rice's Vampire series. I think books written a couple hundred years ago, can be not only entertaining but also extremely interesting from a historical standpoint. You get to see into the social and moral thinking of that time. They really did think and act in a way that would be very foreign to us today. And don't think for a minute that their morality was superior to ours. Believe me we have definitely evolved in this area. To see what I mean pick up a copy of "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein" or "Uncle Tom's Cabin" by Harriet Beecher Stowe. NOT the children's abridged version either, get the real thing and read them. They are a fascinating look into the thinking and values of the 19th century. I love most of Stephen King's books. However I have never been able to make heads or tales out of his "Dark Tower- Gunslinger" series. I also recommend Chris Bohjalian. A few of his books can be slightly graphic but he tells a really good story. I won't get into any more of the books I read. It would take up way too much space.

And yes, I guess this isn't too weird that I read a wide variety of books, but hey, I'm reaching here.

4. I somewhat enjoy the smell of Skunk Spray. In not too concentrated doses of course.

5. I have mentioned this before so maybe this won't count, but I love speaking in front of an audience. I love giving talks to groups big and small. I didn't always of course. When I was in school I was so shy and introverted I never raised my hand, or spoke out if I could help it. I don't even remember when I discovered the joy of public speaking. It has been within the last twenty six years or so, I do know that much. I think it all started about twenty six years ago when I saw an incredible Psychologist, Dr Orr. He helped me to completely change how I saw myself. I had some real issues left over from my childhood. They are still there and sometimes they come out at the most inopportune times, but for the most part I am a much more confident and happy person than I was thirty years ago. My love of public speaking was one of the bonuses that I got from that. I have discovered that I have a real talent for it.

Well there you go. Five things about me that are perhaps a little bit weird, that you may not have known about me. You know what they say, confession is good for the soul. So on that note, I choose to tag, my little brother Mike, and my niece Alicia.

Have fun with it.

14 comments:

Debie Spurgeon said...

So what was on your list of favorite foods as a kid? Some good chocolate ice-cream sounds really good right now. I agree, the more chunks and swirls, the better.

Jan said...

Yummy. Chocolate ice cream sounds so good. I never thought about a good dictionary before. You always make me think about some things that never have crossed my mind before :)

My Three Sons said...

What a great gift, to love speaking in front of an audience! (You're good at it too, I enjoyed your's and your husbands talks a lot!) I, too, love popcorn. However, I can't imagine not loving chocolate ice cream, but you're right, it is even better with lots of chunky yummies swirled in!

Anonymous said...

Skunk? Really? And yet you're picky about icecream. Go figure.

Cute list.

dani said...

suz, milk just came out of my nostrils on the skunk spray!!! bahahahahaha!!! go figure:b
love,
dani

libbie said...

Oh this is GREAT! Number 5.. . . . your love of public speaking. I have to give a talk in three weeks and I was wondering if you could just do it for me????? I think they would totally go for it!

Lisa Christine said...

Skunk Spray????? eewwww...

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Wow, I can't believe you didn't like pop, chips or ice cream as a kid! Now, was it just chocolate ice cream?

Remember how Dad always had Ice Milk instead of Ice Cream? Nobody seems to carry ice milk anymore. He said it made the best milkshakes... in the TexanWare plastic cups... with a towel wrapped around them to absorb the condensation...

SuzanSayz said...

Oh, I loved ice cream, as long as it was vanilla. And believe it or not, they still do make what, for all intents and purposes, is ice milk. They just have given it the far more sophisticated name of Lite ice cream.

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Well there's another similarity between us - I'll take Vanilla over chocolate ANY TIME!!!

Mandi said...

Well done Susan!!! My youngest doesnt like soda either, she can take her pick from Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Lemonade etc etc and she will always choose water!!! Just before she was born I decided as a household we drank far too much soda, so we had to buy a new refrigerator so I got one with ice and water in the door - well that was it the kids loved it and my little one has always used it. So a good purchase all round. 11 years later the ice machine part is playing up (must get that fixed) and the water works sometimes), must get hubbie (who was a plumber for 10 years) to fix it, but dont they say plumbers pipes always leak and builders homes are never finished!!!

Michelle Alley said...

I just finished my weird post too! Skunk spray? Too funny! Good for you to speak in front of people - he must have really helped you! Love this post Susan!

Amy J. said...

You are too funny. My husband also likes the smell of skunk...from a distance of course! Your wierd things are all huge talents woman! Seriously, you are amazing!

The Garden Maiden said...

I love these sorts of things because the unordinary things are what give a real insight into someone. We have so much in common. I think our minds work in similar fashion. :)