Thursday, October 2, 2008

Shawn's shopping list

I decided it has been awhile since I have done a Shawn post. So, I am going to do a Shawn post. I have mentioned in other posts, at least I think I have, that Shawn loves to go out with me to run errands. One of Shawn's favorite places to go is Walmart. Well I had gone (with Shawn, no less) to Walmart on Monday.

I thought I was good for the week.

Apparently not to Shawn's way of thinking. Yesterday, early, he came to me with the disturbing news that we had run low on sausage patties.

Low mind you. Not out of. Just low.

To Shawn a less than half full bag of something means an emergency that must be attended to ASAP. One of his favorite breakfasts is a sausage muffin. That would be an English muffin with a microwaved sausage patty in the middle.
He has quite a few other favorite breakfasts, but this week he seems to be stuck on having a sausage muffin every morning.

I told him that we could go to Walmart and get some more when I got the chance.

The problem with telling him this, is that to me "when I get the chance" could mean anywhere from a day to a week from now.
Unfortunately, for Shawn, any positive answer at all, even if I was to say "next week" means, "why yes Shawn what a good idea, we will leave immediately".

In other words he hears what he wants to hear.

So by not giving him an absolute "no", I had left the door open for him to assume that we would be leaving soon.

Today.

I really didn't feel like going to Walmart again. But Shawn had other ideas.

An hour later he came and knocked on my bedroom door. (I had just gotten out of the shower.) "Yes Shawn, what do you need. You can't come in right now I just got out of the shower."
Shawn's line: "Um, I'll come back later".

Shawn prefers the face to face type of communication, which is kinda funny because he isn't comfortable looking you in the eyes when he talks to you. But I guess he likes the talking through the door even less.

I got dressed, I put on make-up. I watched most of the Today show. I watched part of the View. I got something to eat, and went upstairs to check out my blog. All in all it had been a couple of hours since Shawn had tried to talk to me through my door.

Don't worry, I hadn't left him hanging all that time.

He was in his room watching his morning shows. Sesame Street, Mr Rogers and what ever comes after that. He enjoys his morning shows quite a lot so I didn't feel too guilty for putting him off.

Side Note:
Shawn's TV watching is sort of funny. He loves most kids programing as I just pointed out. But after watching PBS Kids for a while he will then switch over to a channel like USA and watch something like "The Terminator".

He has a wide range when it comes to watching TV.

Don't worry, he only gets to watch the edited TV versions, even though lately they seem less and less edited. He knows if something gets too graphic he needs to turn the channel and most the time he's pretty good about it.

Back to our story:
I think it was around noon when Shawn came and found me to report that we were out of his "manly" body wash. Also his Dandruff Shampoo was down to it's last few ounces.

Panic Alert! Panic Alert!!!!!

I realized that no matter what I did, a trip to Walmart was in my very near future. He had also pointed out a few other things that we desperately needed.

Of course by now he was grasping for straws.

Whether he was willing to admit it or not, we still have about three BIG boxes of Kleenex.

I had a sudden flash of inspiration for holding him off until at least after lunch. I told him that since he was the one who seemed to know all the things we were in danger of running out of, that he should go make up a shopping list so that we would be sure to leave the store with everything we needed.

(This was mostly for my own protection. I didn't want him deciding that we needed still more items a few hours after we got home.)

He went into his room and shut his door. Then he went into the bathroom and shut that door. He was in the bathroom for a really long time. Nothing too off about that of course, Shawn is just a typical guy when it comes to bathroom time.

I had finished reading and commenting on my blog, so I headed downstairs. Before I got to the stairs however Shawn came out of the bathroom beaming. As usual I reminded him to go wash his hands. He told me he hadn't gone to the bathroom so he didn't need to wash.

So what on earth were you doing in there all that time?

This is when he presented me with his LIST. I love his lists. He always tries to be as specific as possible. This list was no different. And it also explained his long time in the bathroom.

He had been writing down the names of all the personal care products he felt we needed.

He had also gotten the sausage patties out of the freezer because he didn't know how to spell sausage. He had written down soup. I had bought him a few cans of Campbells newest all natural soup, and Shawn had really liked them.

Well by now there were no more stalling tactics available. We headed to Walmart.
Health and Beauty first. Looking for an appropriate body wash. Shawn, as I'm sure I have mentioned before, is NOT a fan of Store Brands. He hates the idea of buying or using something that doesn't have it's own commercial. Oh and as soon as a new product comes out, even if it's just an update or improvement of an old product, Shawn is hooked. He must have it and there is no reasoning with him.

So consequently we have quite a few New and Improved products around our house.

I still can't believe it. I got him to agree to a "never heard of before" Body wash. He decided it would be adequate since it had a pump. We got a new bath puff as well. Shawn was a happy camper.

On to Shampoo.

I actually had a coupon for the Pert Plus large bottle of shampoo. They had a dandruff PertPlus. Even better. He was happy with this good buy, after all Pert shampoo does have commercials.

Happy Shawn.

He did want me to buy a 10 pack of SafeGuard soap. I told him we had plenty down in my bathroom. I also tried to get him to tell me why we needed soap. After all, our sinks all have liquid soap pumps. No need for soap there. Shawn does think that the well dressed sink must have a bar of soap as well as a soap pump. I have told him several times to stop putting bars of soap at all the sinks. He obeys that order fairly well, but it probably does cause him some distress.

We finally escaped from Health and Beauty and made our way to Food. We got about six cans of the new Campbell's soup. A chicken noodle, some Mexican tortilla and he thought he would like to try the Italian Wedding soup, so a few cans of it.

It took forever to find those stupid sausage patties. I don't know why, but every time I buy them they are always in a different place. And when I finally break down and ask a worker to show me where their new spot is, they act like "this is where they always are".

Yeah right. Maybe this week.

We had gotten everything on Shawn's list. Except for the un-needed soap and boxes of Kleenex. I stopped in the candy aisle and got Don a few bags of Licorice, and myself a couple boxes of jujyfruits.

We were done. Shawn was happy. I was happy. Our shopping trip was a smashing success. And just because it was so accurate and so cute, I have put a picture of it right here for you all to enjoy.

Isn't it cute?

Oh, and for a quick update, I needed to go to the Pasco Walmart for my mom today. That makes three days this week and it's only Thursday.

Oh well, I actually do like Walmart. Just not in such big doses.

14 comments:

KaTrina said...

Woo! First and everything!

I looove the fact that you posted his list and I loooove his list! It's adorable =)

Alicia said...

I liked this post. I'm glad Shawn has a mom like you to go shopping with. I remember shopping with you when I was younger, and it was always fun! I don't remember what the one super bargain store was that we used to go to in the tri-cities, but I got a sweatshirt there for fifty cents! I was a happy camper!

Jeanette said...

I love it! I am glad to hear that others have adventures in shopping too, but unlike you, I'm not a fan of WalMart. Rude/no customer service. Unfortunatley, my wallet is. :]

Jan said...

I love that list Susan. He is such a great guy. We all need a little Shawn in our lives :)

You get the shopper award for the week.

Janice Head said...

One of Miranda's favorite breakfasts is an english muffin with a microwaved sausage patty, plus a slice of Winco american cheese. I know some other people in our family too (who I won't name) who panic when they are down to their last container and a half of something. Genes are a pretty powerful thing. I think I went to WalMart 5 times last week. (I think at least two of them were for Mom.) I'm actually embarassed that I know the people at the front door so well.

Anonymous said...

And to think that it all started with some sausage patties:)

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I was thinking early on that post that I would love to see the list - and then there it was! LOVE IT!

Marilyn said...

Susan, I absolutely love this post, especially the icluded picture of THE list. As I was reading, I was just imagining what it is like to live with such a terrific guy like Shawn.

Anonymous said...

This post was too long to hold my attention, but I did like his list. Oh, mister Sheeoown!

dani said...

tee-hee, shawn rocks, suz!!! you tell him that your friend dani says that "old spice" is sooooooooooo yesterday. and that he needs a new scent if he wants to make the female persuasion swoon:b
love,
dani

Debie Spurgeon said...

Reading this brought a big smile to my face, I loved it. I'm so glad you included a copy of the list, very cool.

I'm a little like Shawn in the fact that as soon as something runs low it's on my list.

Anonymous said...

What a cutie!
His note is perfect.

Walmart 3 times? Yuck.

Anonymous said...

I forgot...

Thanks for noticeing my Lemony Snickettness last week.
You were the only one to comment about it.

It's nice to be noticed!

The Donald said...

This list proves to me that my brother is not a Russian spy, but a double agent. I loved this post Mom, and I am very impressed that Shawn Wan made a list! Way to go brother!