Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A few of Susan's rules to live by

I have a few little rules I try to follow as I navigate through this experience we call life. For the most part I follow them without even thinking. They have become that ingrained into my thought process.

Occasionally I'll take shortcuts. And sometimes nothing bad happens.

But there have been a few times when, well, let's just say that I'm sure I'm not the only one who has faced a major screw-up or two.

In no particular order, or degree of seriousness, are some of the little things I have learned along the way that I am willing to share.

******************Susan's rules to follow********************

1.) Don't buy the first TV you see. In fact, if you have the time, don't buy it from the first store you visit. You can always go back you know. If you don't have the time to do a little comparison shopping then you're better off waiting a bit. (this goes for cars, houses, and bedroom furniture too.)

1. b.) There will ALWAYS be another REALLY GOOD DEAL!

2.) Don't race up escalators.
It's RUDE, and you could hurt someone. Do you really want to spend the rest of your life remembering the look on the face of the little girl you almost knocked down?

3.) If you don't know where you are going, then ask. If you get halfway there and still feel unsure, ask again! (This isn't meant for traveling. That's why GPS was invented. This is for those times when you are trying to find the right office, department, or person in charge.)

4.) If it doesn't look good on the model, there is no chance in, you know where, it's going to look good on YOU.

5.) Always wash your hands afterwards. Whatever afterwards may consist of, is no one's business but yours.

6.) If a nice thought goes through your head about someone (i.e. the person taking your payment, the woman sharing the elevator with you, the waitress bringing you your food, your friend, your sister or brother, anyone you have any contact with) then share it with them. It makes everyone feel good, and for all you know it could be just what that person needed to hear.

7.) If you really can't stand someone, try to remember that God loves them too. It's still fine to not like them, but at least you will have put things in a better perspective.

8.) Forgiveness is usually more for your benefit than the one you forgive. (That makes it a little easier I think)

9.) There's nothing wrong in questioning the things you are taught.

10.) Don't steal a parking space that you know someone is already waiting for.

11.) Don't go to a movie you really don't want to see just because every one else wants to. You know your own limits, stick to them!

12.) This one is SO obvious, but I will still include it.
If something sounds too good to be true, it almost always IS!


I have a lot more of these little "rules", as I'm sure most of you do too. In fact I would love for you to share a few of yours with me. I am always willing to learn from others and hear the things that matter to them.

(Not that I won't ever question it, of course.)

13 comments:

Heidi D said...

Think really hard before you say never.

Don't say anything online that you wouldn't say in person.

Talk radio is a plague.

The Carpenters are also a plague.

Don't judge others for their iniquities, yours may be different, but just as bad. After all, you aren't the judge.

Coca-cola is medicinal.

All creatures great and small, Heavenly Father loves them all.

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Hey, I like talk radio AND the Carpenters!!

SuzanSayz said...

Mike! You LIKE the CARPENTERS?!?!???

Heidi D said...

See, you're infected. Plague.

Lisa Christine said...

I found #7 to be interesting....keeping in mind certain events of the past month.

I try not to impulse buy. If I see something I like and think I HAVE to have....I wait. And if I am still thinking about it a week or two later, I go back and buy it because I know I really loved it. If I never think about it again (the case most of the time) I guess I really didnt miss out, did I?

When I was out Christmas shopping I came across the most adorable black ruffled skirt. But I resisted the urge to buy it....it was Christmas afterall and who has funds to be spending on themselves when there are a million and two other things to be buying? Anyways, I had been thinking about it ever since then, about 6 weeks...and I finally went back an bought it! I love it! And I love it even more because I waited for it and proved to myself how much I truly loved it :)

Lisa said...

I do love your lists.

#6 is my favorite on this one.

Lisa said...

pS- Love the Carpenters!

Jeanette said...

I love your list! I think everyone should have a list to live by-IF it is as great and positive as this one.

Jen A. said...

What fabulous rules.

K- I have a couple.

Smile at people when you are the grocery store.

Offer to help old people.

When your the "new" person~ start introducing yourself.

Keep your sinks shiny! (this is a new one for me)

oh~ and eat plenty of chocolate! :D

Alexandra said...

hi grandma nice post.I am back to bloging again.I started bloging on about January 30. It feels nice to blog again.

Amy J. said...

I love number 6---I try to remember that one.

A rule that I have FORCED myself to live by...
Make sure that you are in lots of pictures. You may not like them but everyone looks at you everyday and you look the same to them in the photo. You don't hide in a closet all day long so you might as well get your picture taken. (did that make sense...I don't think it did.:)

libbie said...

i LOVE all of these . . . but the forgiveness one was definitely meant for me! thanks Susan! I always love your posts!

Jeanette said...

I miss you. You need to post again. :)