Wednesday, March 17, 2010

American Idol-One Over Ripe Banana

As I have stated before, I am an American Idol fan.

However. . . .

I am NOT a fan of all the stupid ways they come up with to stuff the show.

Stuff it beyond recognition, that is.

I don't give a flying fig about the contestant's families. I couldn't care less about hearing all of their "heartwarming" back stories. I don't want to meet the parents. Or the spouses. Or the children.

I don't give a rip if they came from such a small town that it only has one stop light, one gas station and the closest drive through is twenty miles south.

And I absolutely DO NOT CARE if they have overcome hard times, grown up in poverty, or overcome childhood illness. I really don't need to hear how they came to this country at the age of ten and their (oh so brave) family had to start from scratch.

BIG FLIPPIN' DEAL!!!!!!

If I want to watch that mushy gushy crap,
if I want my heart (and mind) manipulated (which, trust me, I don't) I'll watch Lifetime or the Hallmark Channel.

I just want to see and hear people sing.

Is that really asking so much?

It is a singing contest isn't it?

It really steams my vegetables that they have to keep the songs so short that it seems they just barely get a good momentum worked up and POOF the song is over.

Last night was a TWO HOUR LONG SHOW!

Twelve contestants.

That means six per hour.

Even taking into consideration commercials and of course the blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, from the judges, there should have been at least three and a half minutes for each singer to do justice to their song of the week.

Instead, we are treated to. . . . . Even more

boring,

cloying,

gee don'tcha just feel the love,

mind numbing,

Family background drivel on EACH and EVERY one of the contestants.

Why do we put up with it?

Or more importantly, why am I putting up with it?

I realized last night that out of the twelve performances there were only maybe three of them that I actually enjoyed.

Then I realized that I can watch those same performances on You Tube, almost immediately afterwards.

I don't have to watch that nasty, can't keep his big fat hands to himself, egomaniac, Mike Lynche.

I don't have to suffer through another pathetic song by "How the hell did she end up there in the first place" Katie Stevens.
Ditto that for Tim Urban, Didi Benami and Lacy Brown.

And sorry Andrew Garcia, you really did bring the house down with your super cool audition rendition of Paula's "Straight Up", but it appears that you are the closest thing to a One Hit Wonder that American Idol has ever produced.

I've decided that it's just not worth my time to sit through roughly 50 minutes of WINDBAGGERY for a fleeting few minutes of way too short, Payoff.

Crystal Bowersox, you are amazing.

I hope you come out ahead. I hope you put out a CD, and I hope that "said CD" has your incredible version of "Long As I Can See The Light" on it.

And I hope,

for your sake,

I really, truly,

hope,

you don't win.

I think you are way better than that.

It would absolutely break my heart to hear you sing some asinine song about rainbows and taking chances that Kara Diogaurdi, will no doubt write and force the winner to sing.

Come to think of it maybe it would be fitting for someone awful like "Big Mike Lynche" to win and be forced to start his pathetic career with another horrible American Idol "Winners" song.

And of course I'm sure that there will be another "Idol Gives Back" episode this year that I will need to avoid at all costs.

Yeah.

As if THAT'S not one of the most painful 2 to 3 hours of bloated, gosh-isn't-this-just-the-most-generous-forced-feel-good-TV-event, ever, thought up by TV execs.

I really do hate to give up a show that I thought I was a fan of.

I just can't take any more of the pointless, mindless, blathering and idiotic, time wasting filler just so Fox can make the most of their advertising dollars each week.

If,

and I know that this is one big

IF,

but if,

things change,
and
the show decides that it really is a singing show after all
and
decides to get rid of all of the fluffy "how well do you REALLY know this years contestants" filler claptrap, crap.

Well, give me a shout and I'll come back and become an American Idol fan once again.

Of course, I do realize that if this really, truly, is, Simon's last year, that there most likely won't be enough of the show left to amount to anything next year anyway. In which case i would just be delaying the inevitable.

And I try to never do that.

So good bye American Idol.

You are a textbook example of how Hollywood can NEVER, EVER, leave anything good alone.

I can only assume that 150 years from now you will be a nice little footnote in a chapter, on the Demise of "American Pop Culture at the turn of the Twenty First Century" in some first year Anthropology student's textbook.

Oh to be a fly on the wall of that classroom.

16 comments:

Jennybell said...

I don't watch Idol anymore, but they do this with EVERY show that becomes popular. Try to keep it fresh I guess, but they need to just stick with the basics. We can find out about their back grounds if they win. Why don't they look at their back grounds a little better before they let them on the show. Seems like every year someone gets sent home because they've committed some crime.

Stephanie said...

I think you should forward this post in the form of a letter to Fox.

Heidi D said...

The precice reason I love my DVR. I record it and only watch the performances. I also don't care who gets sent home. It's rare to ever hear from any of them again, or remember their names even.

I watch the mediocre performances, sometimes good, and then hit delete. As for the results show, I fast forward to the last 5 minutes. Delete.

I love technology. Now and forever.

Heidi D said...

precise, I meant to spell check that.

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

We stopped watching Idol several seasons ago. It became a "if you've seen it once you've seen it a million times" kind of show. NO THANKS!

Alicia said...

You are such a great writer Susan! I haven't watched even one episode of American Idol but your post was so enjoyable to read.

Lisa Christine said...

This post makes me sad :(

I suppose we won't have anymore American Idol chats anymore.....oh well.

And for the record, I really enjoy the background clips. I think understanding an artist can sometimes help you understand their work better. For example....that hymn that you don't like in the hymnbook at church; suddenly we find out about the composer and the circumstance he was in when he composed it and there is a whole new light shed on that piece of music. Now we know that he was in the midst of WWII and was told that he was being sent into a most likely fatal battle withing 3 days and he sat down and wrote that song. Now the 'darker sound' makes sense, and now I have a deep appreciation for that song. We have to know the WHOLE STORY to understand the music....we just have to. And that is just one reason why I like the bio clips.

Also, I really like Tim Urban. I thought he sounded amazing on Tuesday. So did David. I felt bad that they completely trashed his version of the song because I LOVED it.

So let me think.....what shows do I have left now to discuss with you????

you don't watch The Office....you don't watch Glee....you don't watch Modern Family....you don't watch The Amazing Race...

Well.....how 'bout them Dodgers?

Lisa Christine said...

This is me Susan, I'm on Lisa's computer.
Lisa, I don't mind learning more about artists that I enjoy. My problem with AI is that they try to make every single interview as heartwarming/gut-wrenching/sensationalistic as possible. For some reason, I just don't enjoy listening to people with absolutely NO public speaking experience talk about their child "The American Idol Contestant" and what they did as a toddler. Most the time nothing of any real interst or revelation is learned other than the fact that so and so's mom probably needs to brush up on grammer 101. Now online I read a few items about Crystal Bowersox performing in coffe shops and such and THAT was interesting. I just don't like "made for the camera" Warm Fuzzies shoved down my throat.
As for Tim Urban, I don't dislike him for his abilities, he just reminds me of this guy I went to school with who always got on my nerves. A good move for him would be to lose the horrible 70's high school boy haircut that just about every guy in my graduating class had and I might be able to find him more appealing.
Btw, one of the reasons I've lost a lot of interest in the show is that you aren't ever around to call and talk to during the commercials anymore. THAT was one of my favorite aspects of the whole show for me. Maybe we can find a way to do that again and then I promise to come back to the fold.

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Welcome to the Promised Land, Su!! Like Cindy said, we quit watching several seasons ago, and I feel freed from an awful prison! That's 2-4 hours per week that I now get back to do something I WANT to do!

It really helped make it easy that whenever I do catch an episode - always playing in the background, as I truly DO NOT actively watch it, I've been appalled by how bad everyone sounds. Enough that I'll blog about it, or at the very least, vent on facebook. And the Cult of Idol always rushes in to tell me that last night was "just a bad night" and all sorts of similar claptrap. (hope you don't mind that I stole your word - I love that word!) In my young life, I've learned that when EVERY TIME I encounter something it happens to be having "a bad night" it's just a bad thing. And Idol has graduated from "Cool and Fresh", to "Past its Prime" and now on to "WHY IS THIS CRAP ON TV?"

Again, welcome to the promised land.

Lisa said...

I've never been a fan. I only watch the very first shows that have all the idiots making fools (or is it fools making idiots?) of themselves.

I do TiVo SYTYCD for the same reason though, so I can just watch the DANCING!

dani said...

it's not a very good season, but, for some reason we are still watching...
l,
d xxx

David said...

this is my last season watching. with simon gone i think i won't have any interest.

susan, i agree with you to a point. I don't like that the singing time is reduced to 90 seconds due to the fluff. But I don't really mind the fluff itself. But I wish the songs were longer. And there are FAR FAR worse shows, as far as filler goes. The worst offenders on television are Dancing With the Stars (cheesy bit on the week of rehearsal followed by the dance, then interview with contestants, then judges thoughts, then advertise something while contestants walk to back room, then ANOTHER interview in backroom, then judges scores, then commercials, it's unwatchable!) and The Biggest Loser (get on the scale, cut to contestants reacting, music swells, then...commercial..come back to show and rewind back to person stepping on scale, then reaction again, then back to scale, and FINALLY the weight, then a sob story about the result. It is totally unwatchable.)

David said...

I need to break my last comment into two comments so it's not too long..

i too have noticed how every contestant comes from a small town with one stoplight! every one of them!

crystal is terrific, but she has one drawback, which is that every week it is the same thing. Stand there with her guitar performing a song. Yes, she does it very well, but one performance doesn't distingiush itself from another. To paraphrase something Simon might say, it's becoming a bit boring and predictable. But she is good, no question.

Which leads me to my favorite, Siobhanbhan Magnus. Yes, I learned on the AI site that her nickname is Siobhanbhan lol Everything about her cracks me up.
She talks sooo slooooooooooowly. Everybody tells her she's odd, and she genuinely seems not to understand it. She's and apprentice glasssblower (come on Susan, even you have to think that's the most interesting backstory we've seen yet on Idol!)

Her performances stand out, each one different than the last. After Paint it Black, Marc and I were totally cracking up at how peculiar it was, He commented that it was like an artsy foreign film that you have to reflect on for a while before deciding what you think about it lol

And her voice is equisite, great range lo to hi, pitch perfect, sometime soft, sometimes screaming, i love the variety.

and I'm with lisa, I like Tim. He won't and should not win, but he's more interesting to me than Katie, Andrew, Didi, Lee, and Paige.

SuzanSayz said...

Oh I like Siobhan a LOT! In fact SHE'S the one I hope wins the whole thing. And I'm completely in agreement with you on Crystal being the same every week. But the thing is I think she is absolutely perfect the way she is. That's why i don't expect or want her to win. I think that she is already a finished product, and I really have no desire to hear her do Country, Show Tunes or Michal Jackson week. I have recently discovered Brandi Carlile and how much I love her, in fact I've been listening to her mostly non-stop for almost a month now. I don't care if she can do different types of singing because she is so good at what she does do. If I want different genres then I'll listen to a different singer. I actually think that's one of the weak points of A I. That every singer is treated as a blank canvas and expected to excell at each style of singing. I doubt that even Streisand could manage that every week. I just hope that the show gives Cystral enough of a leg up that she comes out of it with a recording deal.

David said...

brandi carlile's The Story is a great song. too bad that lacey butchered it!

Jeanette said...

We got a tivo when they first came out(10 years ago). We paid a small fortune for the thing, but it changed our lives!!! No more watching commercials and now easily fast forwarding through dull parts of shows. We now have a DVR that our cable company gave us and I can't imagine watching live tv anymore.

You should watch Glee. I think you would love it!