Monday, March 22, 2010

book fair

Every year in March I go back to my kid's old Elementary School and work the Book Fair for the School Librarian Tana, whom I've become friends with over the years.

Several (and I do mean several, like about 12) years ago it was my daughter Courtney's last year at Eastgate. I think I had volunteered to work the Book Fair every year since she was in First grade. Tana, the Librarian told me that she didn't know who she would be able to count on the next year since I would no longer have a child at the school any more. I told her that I would do it the next year anyway.

She was so happy and relieved. And I have done the Book Fair for her every year since.

The demographics of Eastgate have changed considerably since my oldest children Donald and Heidi started there over 27 years ago. Most of the kids these days, come from poor families and the biggest percentage of them are Hispanic. That basically equals zero parental involvement.

So my coming back every year to work the Book Fair is a BIG DEAL to my friend Tana.

Plus, I love to do it.

My favorite part each year (well for the last 5 or so) is when Lisa brings the girls to see me and to buy books.

It's so fun to have them come and to be able to show off my darling little granddaughters. Plus, I love watching how excited Lex and Lori get over all of the Books.

This year Lorelai actually came up and whispered to me that she wanted to buy a specially packaged three pack book set for Alexandra with her very own money.

Oh be still my heart.

Is there anything more rewarding than seeing the love that your little granddaughters have for each other?

Well, I guess that about sums up my Book Fair experience. Lisa took lots of pictures so I'll just shut up and let them speak for themselves.


Lex and I share a few laughs.

Elisabeth decided that taking off her socks was a good way to pass the time.


Oooh. Pencils. Of course the girls never really want for pencils, but DANG, these are Eastgate Book Fair pencils.


I share a happy "Hi to Grandma" moment with my precious little Elisabeth.




Those pencils just wouldn't stop screaming their names.



Happy, happy times.
See ya next year Tana!


12 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love that you still volunteer. Reading was always one of my favorite things to do in school. Little house on the Prairie, the Box street kids......and so many other wonderful adventures.

You are a jewel.

Lisa said...

Fan-freaking-tastic. I love that you share you time for such a worthy cause. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside (or is that the fresh baked choco chip cookie?)

I hope, when I'm not so crazy-busy (and just normal busy) to be able to do such things as well.

Happy Monday!

Lisa Christine said...

I have just fallen in love with this little tradition of bringing the girls out to see Grandma at the bookfair. And I think it's fun for them to see where their Daddy went to school!

And you think that 50 cents a pencil was bad???

Alexandra is having a fundraiser at school right now (she's trying to win the pizza party!! oooh!!! Aaaahh!!!) Anyways.....$2.00 a pencil!!! Want to buy one????

Oh ya...they are scented! Imagine that.

See you next March Eastgate!

David said...

i like that you and lisa have your comment box pop up. that way, i don't lose your main page. most everybody else directs you away from the blog page.

SuzanSayz said...

I know David I hate that too. The thing is I haven't done anything to make it this way, it's just the way it came. I wonder if everyone else has changed to make the comments it's own page. It's so much friendlier I think to get to stay right there as you write your comments.
Which, speaking of, I sure seem to be not GETTING HARDLY ANY!
hint hint hint

Jennybell said...

Isaiah's school had their book fair earlier this year. I love that they still had the ice cream cone erasers that I thought were so cool when I was little!

Jim's Tool Box said...

It is great that you volunteer. And at a place that doesn't directly benefit you. Imagine what a difference it would make it MORE people would follow your example.

Jim's Tool Box said...

The last comment was from me Jeanette. Jim must have logged on my computer earlier. :)

Amanda said...

I'm trying hard to get my boys to share my love of books and reading. It's not happening, but i won't give up trying!

David said...

if i'm not mistaken, 'big mike' did that bear hug thing again this week! i think to miley cyrus? his act has worn way thin with me.

Jeanette said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Would you be surprised if I told you this is the SAME teacher that has been bullying her? Did he know previously that she is LDS? YES. A few months before the bullying began he asked all the kids what religion they are. Since I posted about her bully teacher, a young woman in our ward asked if it was him. When I told her yes, she said he made her life miserable when she had him. I grew up with my share of LDS hating teachers around here. The south is still the bible belt and many still see us as a cult or anti-Christian. It was never fun, but it made me gain a testimony early on. Thanks again for your comment.
~♥Jeanette

Jeanette said...

I meant to add-
so much for seperation of church and state.