Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I (don't) like Mike


I have become a pretty big fan of American Idol the last three-four years or so.
I never used to watch the opening rounds with all of the really bad auditions. It seemed to me like if you've seen one person butcher Mariah Carey or Michael Jackson you've seen them all.
I'm not sure why or even when I changed my mind but I do know that for last season, as well as this one, I've been there for the show from the very beginning.
I know that the season is far enough along now that people already have started to pick out their favorites.
I like to think that I pick my favorites strictly on sheer talent. I try to avoid becoming emotionally attached to any of them. I don't let a good back-story or cute personality sway me too much unless they have the talent to back it up with.
I think that the Sanjaya debacle of a few years ago bears me out here.
The contestants I have the most interest in right now are
A. Crystal Bowersox
B. Lilly Scott
C. Siobhan Magnus
D. Paige Miles
and as for the guys
A. Lee Dewyze
B. Casey James
I like a few of the others but I won't get into them because that's NOT what this post is about.
The one contestant that I do NOT like is
Mike Lynche.
I refuse to call him "Big Mike" or give into any of those "cutesy" other names the producers of American Idol have come up with while trying their hardest to push him in people's faces. However for the purposes of this post I will sink to it for a little while.
And do you know why I don't like him?
Because he is a flat out
BULLY!
I HATE bully's.
I first noticed it during the auditions and Hollywood week. He seemed to think he had earned his place as America's favorite because he was there auditioning and doing American idol while the little wife was at home giving birth to their first child.
I swear.
Could he have possibly been more manipulative?
He shoves his face in the camera no matter who it's focused on. And it made me so mad the inordinate amount of time the producers spent on him and his "oh, so, melodramatic," waiting for his wife to give birth.
Sorry contestants.
I don't buy it for a minute when you give us your bogus "heartbreaking" renditions of how you are
"Here for my son". or "I'm doing this for my daughter, so we can have a better life".
Uh huh.
Because, as we all know, the only way to give a child a happy, well rounded life, one filled with opportunity and love, is for mommy or daddy to become a. . . . a,
big
fat
famous
Singing Star.
Oh yes.
Why haven't the child rearing experts hit on this one before now?
I mean, just look at little Sean Preston and Jayden James "Spears".
How could the experts be so blind as to not see that the best chance for childhood happiness is for one's parent to be shoved into the national spotlight as the newest . . . .
American Idol.
So, sorry, "Big Mike".
I don't buy the whole, "look how much I'm giving up for my child and wife" schtick. As far as I'm concerned you are nothing more than an everyday, run of the mill, "Me First" selfish jerk, that cares more about himself than anything else on God's Green earth.
This is just one of the reasons why I'm not ever going to be a part of the "Gosh, but don't ya just have ta love him" Big Mike publicity machine.
Of course my big, BIG, reason for my strong dislike of him is for the reason I stated earlier,
He is a Bully.
I noticed it when he kept picking people up and SQUEEZING them.
Every single time he did it he was asked to NOT do it again. Did that stop him?
Of course not.
Instead, in typical bully fashion, he laughed it off and turns it on to the person "complaining" as if they are being the problem. I noticed the first week of "Real" competition, you know where America finally gets it turned over to them, so they can "vote for their favorites".
If you paid attention to his reaction to the judges, the first thing they did was to tell him that he had hurt them by picking them up. Ellen and Randy both told him that in no uncertain terms.
Did he apologize?
Hardly.
He did what bullies have done since time immemorial. He first of all tried to laugh it off. Then he acted as if he didn't even hear them. He tried to make them look and sound foolish for giving him any grief about anything.
"Oh come ON?!?!" "You all KNOW that I'm just a BIG Ole Lovable Teddy Bear?!?!?!"
And,
AND. . . when Simon finally made serious, and gave "Big Mike" his trade marked, no holds barred, judgement, of not only his performance but also his behavior, did Lynche finally show a little humility and own up to the fact that he's not as ALL THAT as he obviously likes to think he is?
Of course not.
The big jerk instead, basically said; "Hey Simon" while showing his bulging flexed bicep.
Yeah.
Oh Boy.
What a cuddly teddy bear of a guy.
The thing that I can't believe is that America seems to be buying into the whole "Big Mike" thing.
Can't they see what a jerk he is.
Can't they see that he forces himself into just about every shot of whatever contestant is having a bit of screen time?
If you don't believe me, go back and watch it for yourself. It's always with a "aw shucks, I'm just so darn likable, you know they all want me sharing their big moment with them" smile and mugging for the camera.
I hope America catches on pretty soon. Cuz, I just can't wait for the blessed "results" show when I will get to see my fellow Countrymen finally show
Big Mike
THE
DOOR!

11 comments:

Heidi D said...

I skimmed through your post, I've heard it live a couple of times.

I don't think he'll last he's not that good.

Lisa Christine said...

I think that choosing to miss the birth of his child so that he could be at Hollywood week is the most selfish act I have ever witnessed. I was outraged by it. And I too HATE it when they say they are doing it for their child....ya, right.

Okay, the kids are in bed and I have read your post. Now I better go watch the show!

Kristen said...

I have never really gotten into American Idol. My mother-in-law is big time! I watched it with her and even enjoyed it when we lived with them for six months when I was pregnant with Cayman. For me, it's one of those shows that if had someone to watch it with I could be into it. But I don't enjoy watching it alone. (Mike is not a fan)

Jeanette said...

I am not a fan of the show. I don't watch it for reasons too long and boring for your comments section. Oh, wait! That may be a great post idea for my own blog. ;)

I think missing the birth of your child for this type of reason sends a message to your wife-"My dreams are first and you can suffer by yourself!"

I will say that on the View (which I do not watch, but it was on while I was doing chores...) they commented that this season is more about the stories of the contestants than the talent. American Idol is trying for ratings and drama sells.

BULLIES STINK! America should show him what we think of bullies and boot him off!

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

We watched it the othe rnight. I don't have afavorite but I did wath the Simon interview on Leno and his favorite this year is Crystal too. We shall see??

Oh and this "BIG Mike" shoudl have been home with his wife. What an ass!

Jennybell said...

I haven't watched Idol for several seasons now. My husband watches it, but not as faithfully as he once did.
I did see this guy last night when they panned on all the boys sitting together. He's a big dude.

Jen A. said...

your post is too long to be read at the library:( Love ya!!

KaTrina said...

I used to watch AI all the time...as a matter of fact for like the first 4 or 5 seasons, there wasn't an episode I missed...Then they started focusing on everyones sob stories and I got annoyed, so now I very rarely watch it.

Stephanie said...

you hit the nail on the head with this post. I never really watch idol until it is down to the last few contestants. I did however see part of the episode where 'big Mike's" wife was in labor. Booo Hisss!

dani said...

we refer to him on the lane as the NOTSObabydaddy!!! i agree with every word you wrote, suz, and was completely untouched by his performance this week. i thought maybe it was just me?
hope you are having a lovely weekend:D
much love,
dani xxx

David said...

And what makes it worse, is that he should have been out of the show. He's the one whose dad leaked that he made it and the show was going to boot him off and then didn't, which adds to his sense of entitlement.

If you hate him, and I don't like his and Marc doesn't like him, it gives me hope, that there MUST be other people out there who feel like we do. We cannot just HAPPEN to be the only ones who see through his act.

I hate when he sits on the couch during the results with that cocky smile that says "yeah i know i'm safe, i've got this locked up because I know y'all love me. I'm the coolest guy on earth"

No, I don't want him to win. Even if he had to sing songs about rainbows and taking chances, it would boost his ego to the stratosphere to be the people's choice.