Saturday, April 26, 2008

Grandma Thoughts

I am sure that everyone who reads my blog also reads my Daughter-in-law Lisa's blog [this is of course, where I would put a link, if I knew how to create links. So please for me imagine a nice link to Lisa's Blog. I know everyone knows how to get there anyway]

OK, I definately know that everyone knows about my precious, youngest, Granddaughter Elisabeth.

Ever since we even started to suspect that Lizzi couldn't see, I would always get right in her face and say, in a soothing voice, Elisabeth it's Grandma, it's Grandma. I do this every time I see her which is quite a lot. I also do Lisa's thing of taking her precious, wecious, chibby, chubby, dimpled little baby hand and touching my face with it.

I knew that someday this would pay off and she would start to know Grandma.

Well I was there today and she had just woken up from her nap and Lisa had put her in her reclining bouncy chair. I always go and lie on my stomach next to her and talk to her and give her the, this is Grandma routine.

I was still talking to Lisa while I was getting down on the floor next to her. I looked at Lizzi and she was starting to smile. I nuzzled her and started with my this is Grandma. She just smiled as big as she could and it suddenly occured to me that she was smiling because she knew who I was!

I was so thrilled my sweet little Elisabeth knows her Grandma!!!

She just kept smiling and she was being so attentive when I took her little Paddywad, [old family name for baby hand] and touched my face with it!!

I pointed out to Lisa that I was sure Elisabeth knew who I was, and Lisa agreed that she was sure she did too.

I have kind of suspected this for the last couple of weeks. I thought she was smiling just for me, and today I am sure of it.

I think another thing that helps is that when I go over there Lex and Lori always come running and screaming GRANDMA!! GRANDMA!!

I truly can't think of anything in this world that brings me more joy that my five beautiful little Granddaughters.

This is definately the BIG pay-off for raising kids. Those of you with young children please learn to enjoy them now, because it goes by so quick. And to all my fellow Grandmas out there have a great day!

5 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

Susan...this is the best part of blogging. Getting to record moments and experiences before we forget them. It was a simple moment today, but a special one.
I am so glad that Elisabeth knows 'Grandma'.
And I loved your beautiful description of her dimpled little paddywad :)

Anonymous said...

That was sooo sweet :) It made me smile, a lot.

Lisa Christine said...

OK.....this post is from Saturday!!! It is Wednesday. I have been checking back diligently for a new post. Maybe today????

Marilyn said...

Susan, this was a joy to read. I love reading about Elisabeth's progress and reading about her recognizing her family members brings a sweet smile to my face.

Granddaughters are so special.

KaTrina said...

Re-reading this makes me appreciate Elisabeth even more. She's such an adorable little girl, and the fact that she recognized you is amazing and heartwarming.