Monday, April 21, 2008

My First ever Blog

After seeing how much enjoyment Donald and Lisa get from their blogging, I have decided to start my own blog. I decided last night to start one and I think Lisa's even more excited than I am.

The first thing I will write about is the weird night I had last night.

Now I am not a very talented sleeper. I usually get to sleep semi OK but then I wake up and am not able to get back to sleep. Usually for hours. It was truly horrible. My Husband, GEEZ, he can fall asleep in minutes stay asleep and wake up feeling refreshed. In fact a bad night for him is waking up. That's it, just waking up! He goes right back to sleep in less than a minute usually, but to him, that 30 seconds of consciousness means a bad night sleep.

Well, a few months ago I visited my Doctor for probably the fourth time in a year and a half, pleading for some help with my lack of sleeping prowess and she started me on Welbutrin. After a couple weeks I really started sleeping much better. It has been wonderful.

Last night after deciding to start a blog I woke up and instead of going right back to sleep I started thinking of what I wanted to write my first blog about. I couldn't believe I was staying awake thinking about something so silly. I was drifting in and out of sleep and after a couple of hours I realized I had a song running through my head. I should mention that this happens to me quite often when I can't get back to sleep. Now it's usually a song that I really like and that's why it's there in my head, annoying but not too torturous.

So last night was definitely a first for me . I realized after about an hour of it playing in my head that the song intruding on my consciousness was none other than the song " If you sit on my lap today the gift of a toy is the price you pay". That's right, that horrible song from that horrible Bankin Rass Christmas special "Here comes Santa Claus" I hate that show. I hate that song. And I have absolutely NO IDEA how that song got in my head!
After I realized what I was thinking I tried my hardest to stop thinking about it, but of course I couldn't. Even worse was the fact that I don't even know most the words to that idiotic song, so that one line " If you sit on my lap today etc." kept going over and over in my head. Every once in a while it would change to "Oh what a good girl. Oh what a good boy Blah blah blah blah blah all because of a toy" It was absolute TORTURE!!! It actually seems kind of funny to me now, but it sure as HELL wasn't at 4 in the morning. On top of all that I had to get up at 6:30 to shower and get dressed because I had to take my daughter Courtney to the Dentist early this morning so I couldn't even sleep in like I normally would after a bad night.
Well, to make what is turning into a pretty long story short { Are you still with me?} I finally sort of solved the problem myself. One of the songs that I quite frequently have in my head, "Honeymoon" by Everclear, a song that I really do love, came to the rescue and flushed that stupid Santa Claus song right out of there. I was finally able to get back to sleep for a little bit at least. I am hoping that this won't turn into a self perpetuating problem. You know you're afraid it will happen again so it does. I will try to keep a good thought and hopefully tonight will be better.

5 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

Welcome to the blogging world Susan. I can't wait to read the inner thoughts of one of my favorite people!
That did sound like a torturous night! I hate it when I get something stuck in my head. The last time I had a song stuck it was that one from Chicago that we like "we both reached for the gun". It was in my head for a few days. Uh oh....I shouldn't have thought of it. It's running through my head again.

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Su!! I can totally relate to your bad night. I *ALWAYS* have a song running in my head. ALWAYS. And it often gets stuck on something I hate, which is torture... Especially in the middle of the night... If they could come up with a pill to fix THAT, I'd definitely consider taking it. Maybe something like a Tums that works quick and isn't something you need every night. I'm happy to say I can't remember which song it was that was tormenting me most recently, but it was pretty similar to your experience. And I try to jump-start something I like, to shove it aside, and it works until I stop consciously playing the new song, and then it's right back to crapville.

And so many people don't seem to understand!! Good to know you do. I'll call you the next time I'm lying awake and tortured at 3:30 am, and sing the offending song. Maybe that'll transfer it to you so I can get some sleep!

-mike(y)

Anonymous said...

So it must run in your family to have bad songs stuck in your head at night time. You need to check with the other 6 siblings to see if they have the same problem.

~The Donald

Anonymous said...

You and Kelly both, always having strange dreams, or odd sleeping stories. It must run in the family. Good luck with all of your sleepy en devours. =)

KaTrina said...

Great, coming back to this has got that song stuck in my head! just to win a contest!! is it worth it!? lol


...Also, having strange dreams MUST run in the family :-p