Monday, June 9, 2008

Good Stuff/Bad Stuff

I seem to be at a loss for something to write about. I can think of quite a few little things but nothing worth a whole post. So I have decided to ruminate on some things that make me happy and some things that really leave me steamed.

These, of course will be in no particular order.

This is probably really bad but here goes. I loved that there was a Sunday this last winter when the snow and various other weather conditions were so bad that they cancelled church. Now every once in a while I will wake up in the morning and just not feel like going to church. I think a lot of the time it's just the getting ready for church that I hate, not so much the going. In fact for the last four, maybe more like five, years, I have celebrated Mother's Day by giving myself the day off. That means not having to get myself ready. That means having a nice slow morning to stay in bed, to get up eventually, when I feel like it, to really take some time reading the paper.

You get the idea.

The only little kink in this guilt free day off, is that it's not really guilt free. Even though I tell myself that I feel no guilt I actually do. So when we got word that Church has been cancelled I was so thrilled to really truly have a real honest to goodness guilt free day off from church. And I refuse to fall into the trap of feeling guilty for not thinking, oh no they have cancelled church? But I love getting up and getting ready for, and then going to Church. Oh dear, a Sunday off? Whatever shall I do?

Nope. Sorry folks. I was actually giddy when I heard the news. After all, I am not a child anymore. My school days are far behind me. So I will take my snow days where I can get them.

All right now for something that gets me steamed.

Well obviously for those who have read my blog, you know how I feel about toilet paper so I will leave that topic alone. Well, except to say that I am definitely an OVER not UNDER girl.

Okay, hmm something that makes me lose it. Hmmm. Oh I've got a good one!

I HATE it when you are at a light going straight and there is a lane either to your left or your right that seems to go straight but you know (and everyone else knows) that the extra lane really ends and those people in it will have to turn off to the left or the right. So here I am, being a good citizen, sitting and waiting in my proper lane behind six other people who are also being good citizens. Then some little HOT SHOT who thinks they are too good to wait in line with everyone else comes speeding up to the front of the extra lane. You know that they are going to try to peel ahead of everyone in the lane that goes through and thus get to the front of the line, ahead of everyone of those patient good citizens who were willing to take their turns.

My own son does this. In fact he has made an art of it.

Now as much as this bugs me, and if I am to be completely honest, I have actually done this myself from time to time. (Hey, I never said I wasn't a hypocrite) But this is when I really get mad. It's when someone has done this and for whatever reason they couldn't get over into the going through lane, so it looks like they are going to have to turn right instead.

Of course they had NO intention of turning right they just wanted to get ahead of all the good people willing to play nice and take turns.

So what do they do? They try to bully their way into the lane where they really want to be.

I HATE THIS!!!!!

About the only time I ever tailgate is when I see some jerk doing just this. So I pull up really close behind the person in front of me so that mister pushy-pants can't cut in front of me. I know I know.

Turn the other cheek and all.

Well, they didn't have cars back then and I can't help but think that if they did it would have said "except when driving."

Okay, now something happy.

I love my Granddaughters. I have five you know.

In two weeks, my two oldest granddaughters, my daughter Heidi's two girls, will be done with school. They live in Spokane. Their names are Abbey and Lindsay. They are sweet darling delightful children, and I can't wait to have them come spend time with me in the summer.

Alexandra and Lorelai (Elisabeth is too young to remember them and besides she has other things on her mind at the moment.) well Lex and Lori love their cousins.
There are few things I find more satisfying than having all four of my oldest granddaughters together.

Last summer Lisa and I spent lots of time taking the girls to the park. It was probably one of the best things we did all summer. And it was great when Abbey and Lindsay were here because they could come with us and it was lovely watching them all play together.

The only little problem (really just a fraction of a little problem) when Abbey and Lindsay are staying with me, is that they sleep in my living room. I take the back cushions off my couch to make it a little wider and make a nice bed for Abbey. Then I take the two bottom cushions from my two matching chair- and- a- half's, and make a bed on the floor for Lindsay. Of course we bring in plenty of blankets. And of course their suitcase usually is kept in my living room. So every morning it is a pain in the neck putting everything back where it belongs. But like I said this is just a small inconvenience.

One more happy thought. I don't want to sound too negative after all.

We, and by this I mean We, as in I have the idea and Don carries it out. So we have a newly planted raspberry patch. Yahoo! I love fresh raspberries. I love to eat them. I love to make freezer raspberry jam with them. I can't think of anything more wonderful than to finally have my own raspberries.

For years Don has said no.

Somehow I have talked him into it. I had to go online to find the plants because I couldn't find anything locally. I somehow misunderstood the amount on the website. I meant to buy nine plants and somehow they arrived as thirty plants. Don planted them all. I'm not sure how they will do that packed together. Don says they will be fine, in the way that a man who doesn't want any more work will insist that everything will be fine.

We'll see.

If things start getting a little crowded I will probably start offering free raspberry plants to anyone who wants them.

We shall see.

Well my little post of this and that seems to have turned into a rather lengthy post of several this and thats. I can think of more happy things and unhappy things but they will have to wait for another time.

I would love to hear about your happys and unhappys. I do love comments even if we don't know each other. After all isn't that part of the fun of blogging.

So until next time, HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

14 comments:

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Excellent Posting! And I'll play along...

I HATE when it's nine days into June, and we haven't been above 60 degrees yet for the month. I heard someone the other day refer to this as "Junuary". Pretty much. But what REALLY gets me steamed is when our idiot weather people on the news try to justify it. Like today, when they pointed out that it was supposed to get very hot somewhere in Arizona. The report concluded with "Well there you go, don't complain too much about what we have here, because you COULD be too hot!"

Ya know what?? I'LL TAKE TOO HOT!! I'LL TAKE IT ALL SUMMER LONG!! I'LL TAKE IT AND LIKE IT!!!

And my happy thought? There was this one time... a long time ago, when it WASN'T FREAKING COLD OUTSIDE!!!

Jan said...

That was a random post and believe me, I love random. So funny to me.

Yes I agree on the drivers going in the lane as we are being patient and then they bully their way in. I sometimes wonder if they are the smarter ones, but then I realize I am a good citizen with a bad temper. :)

I am an over too on the TP thing. I could never understand the other way at all. But my husband seems to prefer under. Oh well.

Yum raspberries... have a great day and I enjoyed this random post.

Debie Spurgeon said...

I too enjoyed the little Sunday snow day, I wonder if we'll ever have to make that up. I can only ever remember that happening one other time.

I love this and that posts. Lots of information at a time is how I think.

Lisa Christine said...

Me...LOVED the snow day!!!! You think it's a hassel to get yourself ready....well add on 3 girls (I know, I know you used to be responsible for 5. Anyways, I rejoiced at the guilt free - no church day. Even though I do love to go, a day off is nice every once in a while.

Second....I was going to write that your own son is one of those drivers....but then you wrote it. But now I am writing it again. 'Drives' me crazy....but I love him anyways :)

Toilet paper...it's over in our household.

Abbey and Lindsay. They are two WONDERFUL girls and I hope that my older two follow in their footsteps. I am so excited for them to come visit. If it ever warms up enough we can get back to the park :) Good times!

And as for rasberries...I am going to confess to hoping that they get too crowded so that I can claim one or two plants for my backyard :)

Great post!

Anonymous said...

Sign me up for xtra raspberries.

Just to play devil's advocate...I hate it when I go running at 7:00 am and it's 81 degrees out and I have to sweat before the sun's really even up. Welcome to my morning, this morning!
A snow day???

The Donald said...

Uh...I think the drive around thing applies more to you other son now. This son tries to not zoom around people anymore now that gas is a pretty penny...well, 411 pretty pennies that is.

And Mike, you guys aren't the only ones with the crappy weather. I am not sure if it is June or March.

Marilyn said...

Happy Belated Birthday to you!

Whenever I am at someone's home and their toilet paper is under...I seriously judge them. I know it's wrong to judge others, but I just do not get "under" toilet paper. It makes no sense to me.

My husband is one of those drivers that you hate. He seriously loves to drive up to the front of the line and try to cut in. It makes me insane.

I love my fresh raspberries too, and making freezer raspberry jam is one of my most favorite domestic hobbies.

Enjoy your granddaughters this summer!

Anonymous said...

I woke up this morning and it was SNOWING!!! It's not accumulating, thank goodness. I just want a normal June, with sunshine and light breezes. Would temps in the 70's be too much to ask for?

Oh, I should say a thing I like. I like that I am going to get sod in my front and back yard. My front porch is going to smell really good this year from my rose and lavender bushes.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Three Sons said...

What a fun post! I have to admit, I wasn't too upset when church was cancelled,either, in fact, you may have seen my little family sledding behind Bloxham's truck through your neighborhood that day, shhhh! Yes, I know we are in the same ward, but I am always in Young Women's and have not yet had the chance to get to know you! All I know is that you have a very fun house to trick or treat at! (you are the ones with hot cocoa and a bonfire, right?) Hopefully I'll get to meet you soon! Take care & I'm sure we'll see you at the ward bbq this Saturday!

Jeanette said...

This is to Mike-come to TX where we have had 90 degree plus weather for some time. I'm burning up and so is my utility bill! I'm tired of the heat already. It's good to know someone likes it. :)

Susan, I LOVE the positive to balance out the negative post. We all need a little sour to appreciate the sweet.

Jeanette said...

Oh and Happy Belated Birthday! Hope you got everything you wanted.

I'm a June girl too-June 14.

Anonymous said...

I admit, that I do the whole sprinting ahead of the other cars but only under certain circumstances:

1. There are more than five cars in the lane.
2. There isn't already a car waiting to do the same thing in the other lane.
3. I've just had a long and busy day at work and it's imperative that I get home ASAP.

I don't bully myself in and I never go more than 5 over the speed limit to achieve my goal.

This all translates to me being a horrible driver whose license should be shredded I know, but whatever :)

Anonymous said...

Kelly is a bad driver! Lol... Just kidding :)


I hate plane rides, but I LOVE coming to visit. :)


I liked your post a lot, and it was great seeing you.

-KaTrina

KaTrina said...

1.) Kelly is still a bad driver
2.) Planes aren't that bad when you think about how much faster you get from point A to point B compared to driving.