Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas with Shawn

I seem to be on a family roll lately with my blog. And it seems to be working for me, so here I go with another Shawn post.

Shawn is SO excited for Christmas. A few years ago I found the most darling little Christmas Countdown Chalkboard, at (believe it or not) the Dollar Store. Shawn was immediately taken with it and since then, every year, he becomes the "Keeper of the Chalkboard".

Each day he erases the number of days til Christmas and puts in the new number. He usually has a little difficulty remembering which number comes after which, at least until he gets to ten.

Everyone knows the ol' classic countdown: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

This year to ease his mind, I made him a little cheat sheet. It was simple and to anybody else it would look like a list, that so far, only had the numbers. And those numbers, would be in descending order.

He uses that cheat sheet religiously.

He loves that chalkboard by the way. So much so that I know it just kills him to always have to wait for the next day to get to change to the next number. I actually noticed that the evening of "11 days to go" he apparently gave in to his excitement and had erased the 11 and written the 10 by about 8:00 that evening.

I don't think he had thought ahead to the unintended consequences.

The next morning I found him pacing back and forth in front of his chalkboard. He had suddenly realized that by changing the number the night before, he was now facing an entire day and night of not getting to change his countdown number.

Trust me, that was sheer agony for him.

When Shawn is excited about something you can't help but know every little detail of his passion. When he is with me he keeps up a pretty steady stream of talking. Not conversation, no, he doesn't much go for that kind of communication. Too linear, I guess. With Shawn, it's mostly him chattering (mostly) non stop about whatever is on his mind at the moment.

Here I will supply a short example, so you can see what I mean.

Shawn; I'm really excited for Christmas. Is Christmas in ten days? I think I'm going to love that Christmas. Are Jeff and Heidi and my nieces going to come here for Christmas? I'm SO excited!!!I think I'm going to get The Mummy, Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor, starring Brandon Frasier. Does that movie have Brandon Frasier? I think I'm really going to like that movie.

Mom; You sure did like it in the Theater didn't you Shawn?

Shawn; Yeah, it was a good movie. Did that (insert character here) get knocked down by that (insert other character here). That was SO funny. Wasn't that so funny. I think I really laughed at that movie. Did I laugh at that movie?

Mom; You sure did laugh Shawn, you were a laughing fool (Shawn loves phrases like that).

Shawn; Yeah I sure did. Was that a scary movie? I think it was a little bit scary. But not too scary. It wasn't too inappropriate. Not like the movie the Dark Knight. Is that movie too scary for me to see? I wonder if that movie is too inappropriate. Maybe it has persuasive (that is the word he actually uses) language. Is persuasive language not good? And it has offensive violence. And strong adult situations. I think I better not see that movie.

(Yeah right you little stinker, you know perfectly well that the first chance you get, you're going to watch that movie.)

That is a little sample of talking with Shawn.

It doesn't really require you to be a good listener. If he gets to a question that he really does expect you to answer he will just keep repeating it until you give him some kind of answer.

As per usual, his Christmas list this year consists of mostly DVD's. His first request was for the new Disney release, "The Chronological DONALD DUCK vol 4" .
Then I believe his next, must have, movie, was "Popeye". Yes that's right. Do you remember that early nineties movie with Robin Williams as Popeye? Well I had Shawn watch it on "On Demand" about a month ago and he was completely taken by it.

The thing that never ceases to amaze me is how easily he can find his various movies or other interests on-line.

He insisted on renting a Super Mario Brothers 3, DVD, from the RedBox at Walmart. I was kind of surprised by that choice, because to the best of my knowledge, he had never seen that show when it was a weekday cartoon. Well I guess he might have, but that show has been off the air for at least 10 years or so.
Anyway, my point is, that the next day he was at the computer and had brought up the site of the company that sells all things Super Mario Brothers.

Needless to say, Super Mario Brothers DVD's have been added to his list.

He is also quite concerned about the contents of his stocking. He is never excited about candy. He usually ends up giving it to his siblings.

No, what Shawn wants in that stocking of his are purely Shawn friendly items.
He would just love a bottle of ibuprofen, a box of decongestant medicine, a roll or two of Tums and a couple different tubes of antibiotic or anti-itch ointments.

He LOVES these things.

I have had to implement a rule, that he needs permission before he takes or uses any of these things. Well, actually, I guess I'm pretty lax on the ointments.

I figure he can't cause too much harm with those.

Oh, and let me clarify, He will NOT get any of those medicines in his stocking (as much as he would love them) I mean, I'm not stupid.

He loves all thing medicinal. So much, that when he was younger, if he had a bottle of antibiotics or any other prescribed meds he would insist on taking it to bed with him. He wasn't happy unless his wonderful new remedy was right there next to his pillow. You can imagine the fits that were thrown when it was the pink liquid stuff that needed refrigeration.

This year Shawn's stocking can expect;

Some new, super expensive, super advanced, band-aids, ( he does need to keep his first-aid kit updated after all)

A container of face wash that is so expensive, I usually won't buy it for him,(which I'm sure will be all used up before the middle of January).

Possibly some hand sanitizer.(Always a favorite.)

A bottle of Listerine mouthwash,(he's currently having to suffer through a bottle of store brand)
(poor kid).

And last but not least: this black and clear, plastic pellet gun, with scope, that he found in the Sporting Goods section at Walmart.

He is well aware that all pellets will be confiscated.

Yes, my Shawn, is a young man of simple wants. If he can watch it, shoot it, or apply it, he is a happy guy.

I've said it at least once, but I'll say it again. I feel sad that everyone can't have a Shawn of their own!

Well, I guess I better take myself downstairs now, and see how many days left, until Christmas.



I thought you might enjoy pictures of Shawn and his Christmas Countdown Chalk Board.

13 comments:

KaTrina said...

aww that was too cute and way fun to read! :) I love how excited he is about simple things like ointments and movies, I wish we could all have that gift, it would make Christmas shopping so much easier!

Amy J. said...

I can't get over how much he looks like your brothers!

That is a pretty dang cute board for $1.

I loved this post..expecially your Shawn commentary. I am personally very fond of random conversations.

Thanks for sharing.

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I love Shawn - give him a big Auntie Cindy Hug for me :0)

We count down with chocolate!

Jan said...

That is so great that you get to live with such a great guy. He teaches us all so very much.

Heidi D said...

It was actually Kelly that bought the gun during Thanksgiving and showed it to Shawn.

I thing I remember the most about Shawn and Christmas, was that he would get transfixed on one toy. You would hear his machine gun laugh all morning. You would also hear little explosions of sound. Incoherent speech would be rattled off about whatever he was playing with.

I loved to just grab him and kiss his head with his super soft hair. Even though he would want to instantly be let go and struggle until you did so. It was worth it. His excitement made Christmas magical, especially since I was old enough to know...you know.

I am happy that my girls get to have Christmas Shawn memories too. Heck, I'm happy that I do too!

Merry Christmas Shawn, you little rascal!

Janice Head said...

Your sister the math teacher would like to recommend that you let Shawn add fractions of days to the countdown. He can go from 8 to 7 3/4, 7 1/2, 7 1/4, etc., or you could use decimals. I bet if he had a cheat sheet he could do it.

libbie said...

I LOVE the chalkboard. And I LOVE that Shawn is so into namebrands. He makes me smile!

tharker said...

Seriously, how do you not walk around with a smile on your face at ALL times Susan? That Shawn of your's sounds like SUCH a great guy!

I love the conversation sample!

Lisa Christine said...

Susan! You went all out and added pictures! I am impressed. So did Shawn end up erasing the '10' the next morning, and rewriting the '11' so that he would be able to officially write in the '10' like he was supposed to?

Love that Shawn

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Loved this post!!

But... just in the spirit of accuracy, the Robin Williams Popeye movie was from the early '80s, not the early '90s... =)

Mandi said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog - you and I are sooooo on the same page!!!!

I loved that you posted photos with this post. Its nice to see the sweet face in person rather than just reading about it.

We all have to deal with different things in life, how blessed are you..........our children are so wonderful, each of them unique like little diamonds!!!!

Lots of love to you and your family this holiday season and I hope your New Years resolution is to post MORE PHOTOS!!!!!!!

xxx Mandi...xxx

dani said...

oh.my.goodness!!! i think this may just be the best post i've ever read, suz:D i read it aloud to katherine and we giggled with you and shawn all the way through it!!!
i want a shawn!!! but, God love us... we'd never get anything accomplished:P
love,
dani

Debie Spurgeon said...

Great dialogue. I felt like you were both standing in front of me and it brought a huge smile to my face. Christmas with Shawn sounds like a blast. We're all excited for Christmas here too Shawn. Have a great day.