Tuesday, October 20, 2009

lex's new dress

Remember my post I did a few posts back about Alexandra's birthday and all the fun I had with her?
Remember that I talked about making her a dress or two?
Well, I didn't actually make her a dress from the fabric she had picked out.

Yet.

I realized that Saturday evening that I couldn't make her requested dress because I hadn't gotten any lining fabric.
For my non-sewing readers that would be the fabric that goes on the inside of a garment. It helps cover up the inside seams and gives a garment a nice finished look.

Long story short.

I grabbed a piece of fabric I had had for quite a while and selected one of the patterns that Lex had liked and whipped up this adorable little number.

It turned out so cute, don't you think?

Initially there was a small problem with the neck being too big. I had to do some cutting up and re-sewing to the back of it. I added a few button holes and, of course buttons, and

Voila!

perfection!

Alexandra loves it.
Lisa loved it so much she went out and bought some nice black tights and shoes to complete the look.
And Alexandra now has an incredibly darling dress that I'm sure she will wear and wear and wear.

What can I say?

10 points for me.







And now a word from our sponsor

That would be ME.

I seem to be losing my readers left and right.
I don't know if it's because my friends just aren't posting or don't have the time to read my posts anymore, or what.
I realize I'm just being whiny here, but I miss the comments I used to get.
I really enjoy reading your thoughts and getting to know you better.
I'm also aware that there are people out there that just like a bit of non-committal blog reading.
I understand that.
In fact ,at times, I indulge in a bit of it myself.
I guess I'm just asking for you to leave a comment now and then so I know you're out there.
Hopefully I'm not coming across as too needy
(oh my gosh am I really stooping this low?)
So please?! PLEASE?! PULEEEZ?!
Just leave me a freakin' COMMENT?!?!?!


Thank you very much.


16 comments:

Marilyn said...

Susan, I am one of those non-committal blog readers. I read like 105 blogs and there is just no way that I can comment on every post I read, ya know? So I apologize. I read your blog through google reader and I am here. Just so ya know. I will try to pop in more and comment.

And the dress is AB-SO-LUT-ELY darling. You are very talented.

Lisa Christine said...

Did I tell you that I let her wear it to school the next day? She looked so cute and preppy walking to class in her grey and black ensemble. Quite sophisticated if I do say so myself.

thank you so much for making this. It's one of my all time favorites!

Heidi D said...

And where is Lindsay's? Hmmmm?


If I let a post go for a week, I will get more commenters. I still get the visitors, they're just stingy with their comments. Even if I comment faithfully to their blogs.

Amanda said...

I know that i haven't been over here for a while, or to any other blogs for that matter, only reason was that life was a bit to hectic to even pick my laptop up!!

I cannot even sew a button on!! The dress turned out beautiful and i can see from the pictures just how much Lex loves it.
Well Done you!

Love,
Amanda x

Jennybell said...

very cute! Makes me wish I could sew but they confused me in home ec. class with the whole "on the bias" and such and I gave up and made a drawstring pouch, easy peasy, just like the boys did :)

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

cute dress! Cute girl! Nice job :)

i love ya :)

Alicia said...

Very darling dress! You always have a good sense of style! By the way, I love all of your comments!

KaTrina said...

cute dress!! :)

Josephine said...

I'm still reading, but I'm afraid I've been a very lazy blogger recently! I've only written 2 posts in as many months (I think), and although I am still reading other people's blogs, I've been leaving hardly any comments. Lazy lazy lazy! Sorry!
Love the dress! Adorable! And I'm looking forward to seeing the fabric she picked out for the other dress. I loved the account of your day together - super cute! Made me wish (again!!) that my mother didn't live in another continent....my poor babies missing out on regular Grandma stuff!

libbie said...

LOVE the dress! You are so talented!

BTW . . . . I love your blog. I have been so stinking busy tho, that I rarely have to time read blogs and mine is in need of some attention too!

Amy J. said...

10 points...I would say at least 100! But then the art of sewing left be behind and I am impressed with anyone that can create a stitch let alone a gorgeous little dress!

Stephanie said...

You are a wonderful seamstress. Such a darling dress. The model is gorgeous too.



I love to read your posts. I sometimes don't comment but I do read every post.

Jen A. said...

oh bugger! Now I feel guilty~ I checked you blog... just a couple of days ago... and you hadn't posted anything... now I come back and there are three! THREE!! Like I hadn't checked it in a month.

*Sigh* I will do better~ promise!

For the record... I have also checked on your etsy(?) site and you don't have any new dresses up for me to oogle over and possibly consider buying for my Sophie girl. Lex's dress is adorable!!

there... comment made :)

bensfm said...

I lost all my shortcuts when my computer crashed a while back, and just found you again-so here's your comment!
When my daughter was little I made all her clothes, even her coats. I loved it. Then she grew older and wanted what everybody else had. And then I went to work and didn't have time to sew any more...and there it ended. The girls are lucky to have such a talented grandma!

dani said...

dang, suz, i give you 100 pts. for that dress!!! you are so talented:D i love, Love, LOVE it:)))
i wish i knew how to sew; i have a machine and have made a few things. however, a seamstress i am not:/
about your readers, mine have declined, too... (my bloggers don't write as often, either).
i don't read every day like i once did, but i do usually take a couple of days a week to catch up with my friends. hopefully, as the weather gets colder the reading and writing will resume:)
much love,
dani xxx

Jeanette said...

The dress-a*dor*able! I wish my girls were still that young and could wear that adorable dress. They are getting older and into that in between stage. It's hard to find clothes.

I still read your blog! I haven't been online in several weeks. Been gone throwing myself a pity party. I am back and enjoying an evening of reading blogs. I feel like you and Heidi are family and yours are the first I logged onto. Keep up the blogging!