Sunday, November 1, 2009

Better late then NEVER



Once again I have been having trouble with my blog.
I thought for sure that it was blogger, that was messing up.
AGAIN.
It turned out that it was one of the security systems on my computer that was going a bit wonky.

The RESULT?

I had one more Halloween post that I had wanted to do. One of family pictures taken over the years. I debated about trashing the whole picture post and maybe just going for it next year.
BUT,
I put a lot of work into finding these pictures.
Sadly, I have, in the process of old picture finding, discovered that many of them have gone AWOL.

I have no idea what has become of them.

Among them were several pictures of past Halloweens, showing all of the different costumes (most of them mom-made) my kids have worn through the years.
Gone are the photos of Kelly's beloved Ghost Busters costume,
circa 1990-ish.

Oh how he loved that costume.

Lost forever are the wonderful pictures taken of Heidi and one of her best friends as well as her very best Halloween buddy, Travis.
Trust me on this.
They came up with some of the most hilarious ensembles.

Oh well. It is what it is.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Welcome to my little Gallery of Family Halloween pics.

I'll start with the most recent and work my way backwards.

(keeping in mind that Donald and Heidi are my oldest and therefore the subject of the most pictures.)

These are two that I found for Shawn and Courtney.
I had forgotten about the year Shawn was an Astronaut. I had fun making that one.
And, on the right, is Courtney as Esmeralda. I made that one the year that Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame came out.



These ones are of the year we spent Halloween in Seattle at my parent's house.

On the left is a Donald (mouse) and Heidi (witch) sandwich with uncle Brian (Zoro: The Gay Blade) as the filling(my sweet little baby brother who is now in his mid to late 30's married with four children; three boys one girl).

The picture on the right is of my beautiful, baby sister Janice, getting ready to head off to a Halloween party dressed as a witch. (now married 17 years with two great children)










Hey Lorelai!
Look here!
It's daddy and aunt Heidi dressed up as your favorites. Mickey Mouse and Mini Mouse.

And LAST but definitely not LEAST.

My sisters and I dressed up for Halloween 1964

We are, from left;
Kathy (ghost), Karen (Tweety Bird), Linda (pumpkin) Barbara (Little Red Riding hood)
Sitting on the walk, in front of Barb, is my sister Janice, also as Tweety.

I seem to remember my mom had found those Tweety costumes on sale and bought two of them.
Thus, the year before, (i.e. when Janice was too small for any costume)
my little sister Linda had worn a Tweety. My little sister Karen wore Tweety two years in a row.
(hmm, I wonder if she minded that)

And of course, the one on the end is ME.
Dressed as who?
That's right MICKEY MOUSE!

I'm starting to think that Miss Lorelai has come by her love of Mickey Mouse quite naturally.


Well. There you have it. Just a few of my Halloween memories through the years.
I hope you enjoyed!

11 comments:

Josephine said...

What fun pictures!!! Home made costumes are the BEST! Yours are beautiful :)
How was your halloween? Did you do the full sized candy bars? :) There's a dentist's office here in Roanoke that is buying kids halloween candy for $1/lb - to save kids' teeth and send it to the troops in Christmas packages...nice thought, but I'm not giving up MY candy! Sorry troops!

Heidi D said...

I remember being dressed as Minnie Mouse. I also remember trick or treating and I recall going to a Halloween party that night too. What I remember most was being so tired. I just wanted to go to bed. I didn't even want to walk anymore, but I soldiered on. I think that's one of my earliest Halloween memories. I also remember trick or treating in Grandpa's Richland neighborhood once.

SuzanSayz said...

Actually Heidi, that was the year when Donald ate so much candy at Grandma and Grandpa's house that he got sick and threw it all up.
Ah Memories.

Amy J. said...

I think that is crazy that you and your kids are dressed up like Mickey Mouse and then here your daughter in law has all these ties to Disney AND your grandaughter LOVES him too! A coincedence...I think NOT!

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

These are great pictures. Did Mike not dress up for Halloween, ever?

Jennybell said...

cute I was going to try to find old Halloween photos, but gave up! I think my husband burried them in the bottom of a closet in a plastic container. It just came and went so fast.
ON TO TURKEY!

David said...

how come the 1964 picture looks newer than some of the newer ones? less faded.

maybe i should be mickey for christmas some year

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Those are so great!! I totally remember Brian as Zorro, saying "Trick or Treat, Senor!"

Lisa Christine said...

My husband makes the cutest Mickey Mouse!

Jeanette said...

I am so glad you were able to post these pictures. What a fun trip down memory lane. Guess what?! My parents had that same couch that Donald (mouse) and Heidi (witch) were sitting on. AND my husband's parents had it too. It must have been very stylish and popular. Seeing it brought back many fond memories for me.

dani said...

lol, mom didn't take any pictures either... are you feeling sorry for me yet??? your photos are GREAT... priceless!!! i hope you find those which have gone awol.
i cannot believe how much abbey looks like heidi, wow!!!
still catching up with you,
<3 dani xxx