Monday, November 23, 2009

To further the Controversy

First of all, for this post to make any sense you will need to go to my daughter's blog here to read about this scandalous family happening of ours.
Be sure and read all the comments. They're actually the best part.

Go ahead. I promise to wait.

I have decided that since one of our family's most sacred recipes is "out" I might as well stoke the fire by publishing our very most private, never before heard of by anyone outside of the family, secret, no make that super secret, handed down from mother to daughter for more years than anyone can remember, secretest of secret, family recipes.

You can only read the recipe if you promise, on all that you hold sacred and dear, to never, NEVER, ever, even on pain of death, share it with anyone else.

Okay. I realize I am taking my very life in my hands here. I figure though that it is high time that we share this most secret recipe with the rest of the world.

It's really the only decent thing to do.
Drum roll please.
Tataatatatatatatatatatatatatatttttaaaaatttttaaaatttttt

The super secret Brinkerhoff (my maiden name) Family recipe never to be shared with anyone outside of the family. . . . . . . .

You realize, that I will probably lose my rights to the family cookbook after this shameful betrayal.


***************Cinnamon Sugar*****************

1cup sugar

1 T cinnamon

Works best with a food processor. If you don't have one a bowl and spoon will do in a pinch.

CAREFULLY measure out ONE cup of sugar. Absolutely must be ONE cup. Not one cup and one half teaspoon. Not one cup minus a fourth of a teaspoon. EXACTLY ONE CUP.
Just as carefully measure out one tablespoon of cinnamon. Same stringent rules apply as for the sugar.

Now this is where it gets really tricky.

With the utmost of care, pour the sugar into food processor making sure to not let even one grain fall on the counter. As stated earlier, in case of no food processor a bowl may be used.

(Results not guaranteed with this method however.)
With equal care pour in the one tablespoon of sugar.
Now, turn on and process for exactly one minute and twelve seconds. If doing by hand set timer to one minute, twelve seconds, and stir carefully so as not to cause any to fly out of the bowl.

If you have followed these instruction to the letter hopefully you will have a successful batch of Cinnamon sugar.
I realize that with a recipe of this extreme difficulty that it sometimes can take years to perfect your technique. Don't be discouraged. Keep at it and one day you will be able to make a cinnamon sugar that even great, great, great, great, (twice removed) aunt Bertha would be proud to call her own.

Suggested uses for cinnamon sugar:

Sprinkle on toast after buttering.

Sprinkle over any baked apple recipe.

This is also the secret ingredient for another super, super, secret family recipe called Cinnamon Rolls. I don't dare mention anything more about what those are however. I do have to live with these people in my family you know.

Well, I have risked quite a lot to sneak this secret recipe out of the family recipe vault. I'm sorry for the level of difficulty, and I most sincerely hope that you can master it and try for yourself the heavenly delights of
Cinnamon sugar

Shhhhhhhh, you didn't hear it from me.


Oooops. Thank you little brother for pointing out my mistake here. I said to put in a Tablespoon of sugar. I meant cinammon of course. I think that my inate fear of the atrocity I was committing must have overcome me. So take away that extra tablespoon of sugar and make it cinammon.

Oh NOOOOO!
I think I hear them coming!

ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

18 comments:

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

oh Susan, i am so happy to finally have this secret family recipe... ahhh cinnamon toast for dinner tonight, breakfast tomorrow. We may never eat anything else again.

oh and i may have to share with my side of the family. Hope you don't mind!

SuzanSayz said...

And you call yourself a BRINKERHOFF!

Heidi D said...

Shame on you. :(

Very disappointed.

Now what will I have left to pass on?

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! You would definitely have a hit order on your head if you hadn't sabotaged the recipe by adding a tablespoon of sugar to the cup of sugar... Way to cover your assets there!

Luckily, as a native Brinkerhoff, I have the true family recipe, and I think I will go have some on toast RIGHT NOW!!

David said...

that is too funny!

Alicia said...

Oddly enough, I hadn't gotten this recipe from my own Brinkerhoff mother, so I had been toying with the proportions. Thank goodness you clarified it for me.

Lisa Christine said...

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

Susan, this is just one of the many reasons that I am proud to call you my mother in law! (and BFF)

Em and Ms said...

Huh, I never would have thought to use a food processor. No wonder it's such a closely guarded secret!

Okay, so I'm really not good at commenting, but this was hilarious! I was laughing all the way through.

Jen A. said...

Laughing so hard I had tears!!

Jeanette said...

I kinda feel responsible for the whole mess. I was the first to ask what Georgia pudding was. It sounded so yummy. Innocent Heidi was just being a good blogger and supplying her readers with what we want. I did quickly write the recipe down once I knew it caused so much drama. I feared that it would be removed.

I will say that I recently went to a local restaurant and ordered sweet potatoes and it was served just like Georgia Pudding. AND while reading through my family recipe book (I got it at the family reunion this summer) Barbara Pearson, my cousin submitted a recipe called "Oh My My Sweet Potatoes" that was almost identical. Maybe Georgia Pudding really came from Texas?! I am grateful Heidi posted the recipe. It will be a yummy dish at our Thanksgiving dinner this year.

Jeanette said...

BTW-I hate it when I ask someone for a recipe and they won't share. So rude. One of my sisters won't give me her cinnamon rolls recipe claiming it makes too many...I just looked up recipes and tried some out from allrecipes.com until I found one that was BETTER than hers. I'm glad Heidi is the sharing type. :)

Jennybell said...

Your sweet potatoe casserole recipe is almost exactly like mine!!! Except I use 1/2 cup of butter and 1/3 cup milk! Also in the topping I use self rising flour. I wonder if the "secret" recipe was published in something long ago. Like all those famous Jello and Cool Whip recipes.
I think some of the cinnamon sugar would be good sprinkled on the casserole!

Jennybell said...

Hey! Everyone should post 1 Thanksgiving recipe this week! I'll have to think one I want to use!

Lisa said...

You must secretly be from the south. We've been eating sweet potato casserole and making our own cinnamon sugar for as long as I can remember. We used to keep the cinnamon sugar in a little shot glass size tupperware thing with a blue lid. I particularly love to put it on baked apples.

Amy J. said...

You make me laugh...and yes I am making GP for the first time ever this Thanksgiving!

dani said...

lmao!!! how about my innocent comment in the midst of the ado... bahahahahahahahaaa!!!

poor heidi, that recipe is about as big a secret as calgon was back in the 70's!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjNRXfRXnoc

i love you guys and you even more now for sharing your secret cinnamon-sugar recipe:P

much love,
dani xxx

ps. have an amazing thanksgiving!!!

Mandi said...

Hello dear friend,

I know, I know, I know its been months but so many things have happened.

Moved out of my house
Met a new man
YYYYYEEESSSS and he is wonderful
I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY,

Ive also opened a facebook account so Im on that most of the time now, if you can open an account and find me

Amanda Thomas, you should recognise the picture

miss you, or email me, you have that address.

PS Thanks for the letting out the family secret - YUM!!!

libbie said...

Oh I DO LOVE ME some good drama! This is Hilarious! YOu make me laugh!