Saturday, November 7, 2009

The evolution of a favorite album


As with most people I love listening to music.
I like a wide range of musical styles.
Much more now than when I was younger.
I love the music of the 70's. Which is to be expected of course, seeing as those were the years I was a teenager and also a young bride.
Over the years I have learned to love a far greater range of music than I would have ever thought possible when I was younger.
In fact, thanks to my dad (long story) I have even learned to like quite a lot of Country music.
I don't like it well enough to actually listen to the Country stations on the radio.
I could listen for an hour and hear maybe only one song that I like.
I really, really like Toby Keith.
In fact, when his new album came out a few weeks ago and because Target was selling it that first week for under eight bucks, I went in and bought it without having heard a single song on it.
It payed off. I love the entire CD.
Enough rambling background info. This post does have a purpose.
Quite a few years ago, I kept hearing this one song. I found out that it was "I'm not Okay" by a group with, what I thought, and still think ,had a really cool name.
My Chemical Romance.
I can't explain just why, but for some reason their name really appealed to me.
I feel the same way about the band Death Cab for Cutie.
How cool is that for a band name.
Not too long after falling in love with "I'm not Okay" I heard their song "Helena".
That song just blows me away, I love it so.
Lucky for me I have kids who also like music.
Not only that, but they know far more about bands like My Chemical Romance than I ever would.
My oldest daughter Heidi, told me once, that if I liked those two songs then I should listen to more of their music. She told me about her favorite My Chemical Romance album, called The Black Parade.
I skimmed through it briefly and just wasn't impressed. It didn't sound anything to me like they were the ones who had been responsible for Helena and I'm not Okay.
I told Heidi, sorry but I just didn't like it.
I had really wanted to like it. Especially when I saw the actual CD and all of the cool artwork on it. It's dark and rather creepy, but, fun and playful too.
This all happened a few years ago.
During this time Heidi kept telling me to give it a chance. She seemed to know that it was something I would enjoy.
A couple weeks ago I decided that I was going to find out once and for all, if I liked Black Parade. I felt like if they had two songs that I really loved (which aren't on Black Parade, just so you know) that there had to be a chance that I would enjoy more of their music.
I asked my son Kelly if he had it and he did. And lucky for me, he never played it because it was on his MP3 player.
I took it and went downstairs to listen to it.
I was determined to give it a fair shot.
I like to listen to music while I sew. That is why my stereo is in my sewing room.
I put it in my stereo and hit play.
Ooooohhhh. Uuuggghhh. All I seemed to hear was NOISE. It didn't seem to even have any discernible melody to any of the songs.
I had heard the title song Welcome to the Black Parade a few times previously.
By the time it played, (track 5 just so you know) it was a relief to hear something familiar.
It also made me think.
I realized that yes, I had heard the song a few times already. But, it had never grabbed me. I had simply put up with it to humor Heidi.
Hmmm.
If I kind of liked it now, maybe all was not lost. Perhaps if I listened to the entire album enough times the rest of the songs would start to sound good.
This is not without precedence.
There aren't all that many songs that I like the first time I hear them. And oddly enough, some of the songs that I love the first time I hear them seem to lose some of their magic for me if I listen to them too often. Where as, the songs that, gradually, over time, I learn to love, stay with me forever.
Weird? Yeah, probably. But it's how it is for me.
Well, first time listening to the entire CD. Not a fan. But I did notice there were a few on there that I had kind of enjoyed.
I left it for that day.
Next day.
I listened to it again.
Strange thing.
I started to actually hear real music instead of just noise.
Track 5, Welcome to the Black Parade.
Did I actually not like this song before?
How could that be. It's a great song.
Meanwhile,
thanks to continued familiarity,
some of the other tracks are starting to sound pretty good as well.
This is the point when I deliberately don't listen to it for several days.
I have found that if I do this, that, the next time I listen, it starts to sound more familiar to me and I find myself looking forward to several of the songs I had formerly not liked.
This is usually the point when I find out if I really do like it or not.
Some albums, by this time,
I know for definitely sure that I don't like it and I will probably never like it.
As for My Chemical Romance's Black Parade,
I am starting to really like it a lot!
In fact I find myself having one or two of the songs running through my head most of the time.
I find myself taking it out to the car so I can listen to it more.
I realize that I'm even learning the lyrics.
And all of a sudden, the biggest realization of all.
I LOVE this CD!
How could I ever have thought it was nothing more than a bunch of noise. How on earth had I missed the intricate timing, intelligence and beauty of each song.
Each time I listen, I seem to notice more and more artistry and vision. What at first seemed like a vain attempt at a concept album, now falls into place with such precision and perfection, that I hear a bit of the sublime in each song.
There are layers upon layers of content.
It makes me feel as though I'm listening to a great jig-saw puzzle of sound who's pieces are effortlessly finding each other and coming together to form a whole picture.
In short, I realize that I am listening to pure genius.
And just like that, I have a new favorite.
I can't guarantee that you would find the beauty in this album like I have. Different things speak to different people.
But, if you haven't already, it just might be worth your time to snag yourself a copy, (chances are you know someone who has a copy you could borrow) and give it a chance like I did.
You just might find yourself a new favorite as well.
After all, you just never really know, do you?

14 comments:

Jennybell said...

Never heard of it!

Heidi D said...

Your story is a little off I hate to point out.

Kelly first came to you about the album and bugged you to listen to it. It wasn't until I told you I gave it my approval that you considered to give it a good try.

I just don't want Kelly to be forgotten in the whole scenario.

SuzanSayz said...

Between you, Kelly and Courtney I sometimes have a hard time remembering those kinds of details.
I guess the reason I remembered it being you is because Kelly is always trying to get me to listen to his stuff. It's hard to keep them all straight.
Sorry Kelly for not giving you credit.

Kelly said...

At least something finally got through. Now that I have Consolers of the Lonely (The Raconteurs) I can burn you a copy so you can enjoy it too. It doesn't have as steep a learning curve as My Chemical Romance and you already love the song "Many Shades of Black" from that album.

Jen A. said...

Reminds me of a little story...

Green Eggs and Ham.

I took a quick listen from Pandora... gotta say~ not a fan :)

Jen A. said...

oh... and I hope that the darker tones and heavy beats don't affect your sewing!!

SuzanSayz said...

Oh not at all Jen. I actually think they enhance my creativity.

Jeanette said...

I still absolutely love the CD you sent me! Therefore, I am going to look on Itunes for this CD. :)

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Great story about a great album, Su... And you're not alone in your learning curve thing. So many songs that gripped me on first listen become annoying and trite after a week or two, but the ones I warm up to gradually become life-long favorites!

Lisa said...

I do love Toby Keith.

David said...

you sent jeanette a cd? how about sending me a cd?

no new post in 3 days? how very linear of you!

My Three Sons said...

I'll have to try it out! I've never heard of them, but love music like you do! Thanks for the fun heads up...can't wait to give it a shot!

dani said...

i LOVE them and "black parade"... recorded!!! not so much live, though, ha:P
here's a link to the music video for bp; it rocks!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6QwZqiCcV0

much love,
dani xxx

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

We have long loved this album here at the Brinkehroffs. Way to give it a shot Susan!