Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Tuesday Afternoon Joy!




Sunday evening, during dinner, Lisa reminded me of Alexandra's violin performance coming up at her school's Veteran's Day assembly on Tuesday.
Of course I wanted to be there.

Yesterday morning however, I was actually stupid enough to consider cancelling. I don't need to go into any of the reasons why.

Suffice to say that I have been extremely stressed about a couple of things as of late, and I wasn't sure of my ability to juggle my schedule to be there on time.

Fortunately cooler heads prevailed, (mine) and I realized just how foolish of me it would be to miss something as special as my dear granddaughter's first non-church, public violin performance.

Of course I went. And of course Donald and Lisa saved me a seat. We were all there. Me, Donald, Lisa, Lorelai and Elisabeth.

We were richly rewarded.

The assembly was put on by the First and Fourth grades. First up was a group of the Fourth Graders playing the Xylophones. It had a lovely Caribbean flavor and was enjoyed by all.

After the Xylophones the rest of the children on stage started in singing a few Patriotic songs.

It was wonderful to hear yet another generation of children singing those beloved songs. I mean, now a days you just never know.

You know?

Alexandra's big part came during "My Country Tis of Thee". The children sang verses one and two. Verse three was Lex playing her violin solo.

She was incredible!

We couldn't have possibly been any prouder of our sweet talented girl.

I mentioned to Lisa how shocking it must have been to all of the other parents. After all, I think we most know what to expect when you have a performance of a First grader playing her violin.

You certainly wouldn't expect to hear beautiful music without a single mistake.

Or screech.

Yet that is exactly what we were all treated to. I doubt a High Schooler could have done better.

Of course Lisa, the preserver of all family happenings was video taping the entire performance.
I can't express enough how much I enjoyed the entire assembly.
All in all the entire performance was beyond wonderful.I felt privileged to be there. It was an afternoon that I shall not soon forget.

I realize that yesterday afternoon, life as usual went on throughout the country. No doubt crimes were being committed. People were lied to. Others were cheated.
A memorial service was held for several military personnel, who had been viciously murdered by a trusted Doctor.
There were many bad things being done and
sadly,
not enough people around to care enough to try to stop them. There was no short of misery and despair.

But. . . . . .

In Kennewick Washington
inside the gym of Hawthorne Elementary School
from 2:20PM to 2:50PM
Pacific Standard Time
for a small group of parents, teachers and children. . . . .


All was right with America.





Lisa has put the video here on my post she took of Alexandra playing her violin. Enjoy.






She is also letting me use all the same pictures in my post that she took of the events and is also using in her post.







10 comments:

Jen A. said...

I love how she is just calmly looking out from backstage. Practically bored to tears. Anyone else would be pacing, wringing their hands and if it were me- puking :) I'm saying she is made for the life of talent- in the spotlight!

And... I hate to say that she far surpassed my step-daughter in her violin performance who was in 6th grade at the time. She is phenomenal!!

Josephine said...

She certainly is a very talented little girl! And on top of that, she's as pretty as can be! Some girls really do have it all :) I'm glad that you made it to see the performance in person.

dani said...

she did a lovely job, suz, i know you were so proud!!! i had to chuckle at the amazement of the little boy standing behind her.. how cute:) i'm so glad you didn't miss it.
much love,
dani xxx

Stephanie said...

What a wonderful performance. Susan I do believe you will enjoy many performances from your beautiful and talented grandchildren.

Heidi D said...

She did a great job. :)

Lisa Christine said...

I am SO glad that you decided to come. It meant the world to Alexandra. And things are just more fun when you are around.

SUSAN THE COOL!


lol! ( I think you should have left it up)

Jennybell said...

Isaiah wasn't even IN his schools Veteran's Day program, but he invited his Papaw so Papaw took off work and went :)
My cousin's son played violin beautifully, but gave it up when he was about 16, BOYS!

Amy J. said...

I just love that photo of her looking bored and waiting her turn! She is sooo talented, and I am hoping to hear her myself at the Family Christmas dinner! Whoohoo.

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Last?

Unknown said...

I am so glad you went. My kids love when my parents come to their stuff.

She did an amazing job. She was so confident in front of such a large crowd. Great job.