Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Courtney for Christmas



This is my youngest child Courtney. She recently turned 22.
She lives across town with her very significant other of almost two and a half years Nathan.
They are very much in love and very happy.
There is however one small problem.
We don't get to see her very often.
And as seldom as we see her, Alexandra and Lorelai see her even less. The girls really love their aunt Courtney, and have been asking why she is never here when they come to visit or for Sunday dinner every week.
Lisa and I have worried that they may start to forget her. After all, to a five and seven year old, a few months without seeing someone feels a lot longer than it would to you or I.
I mentioned this to Courtney and asked her to please try to make a little time for her adoring nieces.

*******And guess what?*******


She DID!


She decided to send Nathan to spend some Christmas Eve time with his family, (well actually, I think it was mutually decided, Courtney's not that bossy) and Courtney came and spent Christmas Eve with us.
Were the girls excited to see their mostly absent Aunt Courtney?

I'll let you decide.

We let her open all of her presents from us since she wouldn't be around the next day for Christmas.
Lex and Lori were more than happy to be a part of it. After all there's nothing like a little vicarious present opening for two little girls who have to wait til Christmas morning to open theirs.




She couldn't resist checking in with Nathan.
She is a product of these super connected 21st century times after all.


The second gift she opened were the slippers I had gotten her. The girls were so astonished (and thrilled) to see that they were the same kind that Donald had gotten for them just a week ago.



A picture had to be taken as proof of course.


From Donald and Lisa?
A gift card to one of her favorite places.
She really appreciated it too.

One small note; A couple of weeks earlier Donald and Lisa had also given her one of the best gifts they possibly could.
Donald's old (but still very nice and mostly reliable) car when he got himself a new one. I am so proud of the love and generosity my children show towards one another!

Courtney and Nathan might be completely happy together in their little place but they are also usually flat broke as well. Something they take in stride quite well, believe it or not.

Well, as you know, all good things must come to an end.
The girls had gotten a nice long visit with Courtney. She had a really good visit with her loving family. But she and Nathan were really looking forward to spending their first Christmas together all on their own.

And they all lived,


*********** Happily Ever After**********

Update
OOPS. . . . . . .
Sorry Kelly.
I was wrong about the gift card being from Donald and Lisa.
It was from Kelly. Who very lovingly and generously got really great gifts for everyone in the family. I hate making these kinds of mistakes.
Next time:
more research!

13 comments:

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

A sweet story, I sure would like to see Ms. Courts someday too.

Kelly said...

Actually, the gift card was from me if you'll remember.

(She already got the car from them, no need to attribute the gift card to them too :P)

Jen A. said...

oooh~ Good gift giving Kelly! I could use one of those myself :)

Lovely story. She's such a cute girl!! Where was I when I was 22?? Seems like a lifetime ago.

Lisa Christine said...

Yes, I was going to mention that the gift card was from Kelly.

Great photo's Susan! My girls were SO happy to see Aunt Courtney. They love her so much!

Jennybell said...

Nice
I bought myself 2 pair of those moccasins! I love them and wear them out in public! I don't know if mine are meant as slippers or not, but I don't care. They solve 2 problems
1. I hate washing socks! So I wear them barefoot and stay cozy warm.
2. They slip right on and I don't look silly at Walmart in my mule type leather fur lined slippers :)

Jeanette said...

Christmas is a perfect time for families. My girls love my baby sister Suzette. She married a Canadian and they now spend Christmas in Canada. Totally bums out my girls. I am glad Courtney shared the holidays with the kids.

Stephanie said...

Aunt Courtney is gorgeous and looks just like her mother.

David said...

is there a difference between a significant other and a very significant other?

SuzanSayz said...

David, it's just one of those things that if you need it explained you won't ever get it.
bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Amanda said...

Wishing you all the very best for 2010!!!
Love,
Amanda x

dani said...

i KNOW the girls were super excited to spend time with courtney... i lived to spend time with my aunts when i was a little girl!!! i hope your whole holiday season was as sweet, my dear suz:)
happy new year!
much love,
dani xxx

libbie said...

NICE! I LOVE that Donald gave her his car! So AWESOME! I'm glad she came!

Amy J. said...

Courtney is so pretty and it is awesome to see her nieces so happy to see her!

I love Shawns gift...those discriptive words are so funny...slime? And you were sooooo missed at the family dinner you stinker!! Heidi and I were plotting our revenge the whole night heh heh heh (that's my evil laugh!)