Monday, April 5, 2010

To Etsy or Not To Etsy

I don't know how many of you know about ETSY. It's a site where people sell their handmade items. I had an ETSY shop for a while but I got frustrated that things didn't sell well.

I tried to access my shop a few months ago and the site wouldn't let me.

I figured that they must have 86ed me for inactivity.

I tried it again a few days ago and this time I was able to get back in.
I still have a few dresses that never did sell. I just today re-listed them and I am interested to see if I get any response for either of them.

If they sell, in fact even if they just plain receive any interest at all, I might make up a few new dresses to put up for sale.

I still haven't decided if the whole thing is worth the time and frustration.

I like the whole idea of getting paid for doing something I love to do,

but,

on the other hand,

I'm not crazy about taking on any extra responsibility. Not to mention that it's not really all that profitable. Although there is a certain satisfaction as well as validation in somebody paying you for something you made.

I don't know.

I'm kinda on the fence here.

If you are interested, here is a link to my shop. You can click on the 6 sales to see the dresses that I have already sold.

I would appreciate any feedback you are willing to give.

So, what do you think?



These are the two dresses I put back up for sale.

I guess I could also put the fact that I have access to such lovely little models among the "reasons for"



Thank you Lorelai!

14 comments:

Stephanie said...

I know how much love goes into sewing. I think your dresses are beautiful.. I am especially partial to the rose dress. Gorgeous. I think your prices are more than fair and you just need a way to advertise your etsy shop to more people.

Kristen said...

Your dresses are beautiful! I've had some difficulties with etsy myself...technical stuff and not selling well which is why (for now) I have listed some of my hats on one of my personal blogs for sale. Eventually I want to get my etsy store back up and running but I just don't have the time to fiddle with it right now. I don't even know if truly I have the time to take on another responsibility like making hats and selling them, but I love it so much!

Good luck with your etsy shop. Your talent is superb and I wish for you lots of customers...or maybe I should wish for just the right amount so that it keeps it fun and not overwhelming for you.

Kristen said...

Oh and you might want to consider creating the "mini etsy" where you can post the picture on the sidebar of your blog that shows your items for sale. And if someone wants to purchase it, they click on it and it takes them over to the etsy link. That way your items are able to be viewed and shown to your blog readers instead of getting "lost" in the mass amounts for sale on Etsy.

Heidi D said...

Lorelai looks so young in those pictures. :)

If I had a little girl, I'd buy those dresses.

Josephine said...

These dresses are ADORABLE!! (As is the cute little model, of course!) I think you should keep putting them on etsy - I think you;ll sell lots of them :)

Jeanette said...

Those dresses are so adorable. It makes me miss having young girls. They would have been perfect for my girls 6 or 7 years ago.

I feel the same way about making cakes. I put HOURS into them and then make something like $2/hr. Everyone wants an "Ace of Cakes" or "Cake Boss" cake. They don't realize that these shows/shops have teams that work on the cake and I am a one woman shop. Plus, Ace of Cakes won't take a cake order for less than $1000. Most people gasp at my $1.50/slice price tag. Long story short-I feel your pain.

You have a beautiful talent.

Lisa Christine said...

Look at how little Lorelai looks! She's growing fast!

Amanda said...

I think the dresses that you make are beautiful and i wish you lots of success in your Etsy shop.
I just wish that i had a girl, if i did i would have bought a dress or two from you!

David said...

susan, you must be ecstatic this morning! wasn't it great seeing "Big" Mike get his bubble burst last night? first thing i thought when he got put bottom 3 was how much you must be loving it!

SuzanSayz said...

You better believe it David! I could have killed those idiot judges for saving him.
Did you see Tim Urban backstage Tuesday night when big mike tried to put his arm around him? He just pulled away like "don't TOUCH me!" It was GREAT!!!!

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Sue, I would by that cute little halter dress for Danee this minute.. but it is too big. Keep making them, soon enough you will have one loyal customer!

karla said...

Susan,
I love your dresses. You were always the best seamstress.
I have had the etsy debate myself . not sure if i want to make it full time job, same reason I don't do "shows" too hard to guess what will sell. I know you don't facebook but your family does, have them start a fan page for you and let them advertise on it each week.
Love you,
Karla

Jen A. said...

I will be sending some business you way. Everyone is always asking me where sophie got such cute dresses :) I for one am ecstatic to see your etsy shop back up!

Buying a computer today... should be back up and blogging by the end of the week. I have sooo much to post!

dani said...

you are such a talented seamstress, suz... if i were you, i would aproach a local children's shoppe with your work! etsy is just so darn big.
much love,
dani xxx