Monday, January 19, 2009

For Lisa

My daughter-in-law Lisa's birthday is January 2nd. She turned the big "two nine" this year.

And I really do mean twenty nine,

she's not thirty two and just refusing to move into her thirties, by staying at twenty nine.

Anyway, I will make a long story short here. (At least I will try, you know me.)

Well, due to circumstances, the idea of going out to eat to celebrate, and then to go back to Donald and Lisa's to celebrate even more, with Birthday cake and ice cream, didn't work out that way.

So it was decided that since every Sunday they come to my house and we have a family dinner, that we would do Birthday cake at that time.

Everything worked out fine with the exception of one teency weency little hitch.

No Birthday cake.

I thought that since we had planned to go to Donald and Lisa's, for cake, after eating at Famous Dave's (BTW, not a fan of good old Dave's.) That they must have gotten a cake.

That made sense to me.

They came for Sunday Dinner without a cake. I didn't have a cake ready. And I am still sure that I heard Donald say that they would bring the cake with them.

Oh well all of this is neither here nor there, I just wanted to point out that there wasn't a cake that Sunday.

Lisa told us that it was okay, that she didn't really mind not having a cake.

Donald and I both insisted that some kind of dessert (something to put candles on, in other words) needed to be procured immediately.

So my quick thinking son grabbed a brownie mix out of my pantry, and made Birthday brownies for his dear wife.

This was actually a good thing.

Lisa loves brownies.

And even better,

we had hot fudge sauce and plenty of ice cream.

There are few desserts that Lisa likes better than Hot Fudge Brownie Sundaes.

The day was SAVED! YAY!

Lisa is such a loving mom that she even told the girls, (that would be Alexandra and Lorelai.) that they could help blow out the candles.

Which was really nice.

Lorelai, by the way, will help you blow out your candles with or without permission, so it was very considerate of Lisa to give her the A OK.

You know so Lorelai can help blow without guilt.

The candles were lit,

we were ready to sing,

Lorelai had staked out the best position to really have a go at those candles,

and then we realized we didn't have the camera.

I ran to my room and got mine.

We sang, they blew, and we ate.

Mmm, ya gotta love those Hot Fudge Brownie Sundaes.

Now there was just one problem.

The pictures I had taken were on my camera.

In hindsight I'm not sure why I didn't just have them take my camera with them to their house. Lisa had wanted to use the pictures on her blog, to do a post about her Birthday.

That didn't happen.

What did happen however, is that I was looking through the pictures I had taken the other day, and there were Lisa's BDay pics.

And now I have written an entire post to explain why I have Lisa's Birthday Pictures on my blog.

So now you know. And here they are.

Lisa and the girls while we all sang Happy Birthday. Notice Lorelai, in prime position, to blow out those candles. Obviously she takes candle blowing more seriously than Alexandra.








The candles are all blown out Hooray! Notice the VERY satisfied look on Lori's face?


The girls always get the job of taking out the candles. They weren't even disappointed that there was no frosting to lick.





17 comments:

Heidi D said...

Brownie sundays sound devine! I am glad to see you were able to use those cute little dishes. We have used ours too.

P.S. Cinnamon rolls are on the way. Make sure to heat them up before you enjoy them. It makes them soo warm and gooey. :)

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Mmmm, Brownie Sundaes!! Yum!

And any excuse to post a pic of 5 kinds of ice cream, brownies, and Lori blowing out candles, is a good excuse to me!

Lisa Christine said...

OK, I think this has to be my new favorite post :)

Thanks for putting up the pictures so that I can copy and paste them into my photo folder. They will go into the one labeled "Lisa 2009"

By the way, I think I want hot fudge brownie sundays on my birthday from here on out. They were scruptious!

SuzanSayz said...

And thus a new Sorenson Family Tradition was born.

Tabitha said...

Great photos, looks like everyone had a fun time!!
Love and hugs Tabitha XXXXX

Jeanette said...

Happy Birthday Lisa! I would enjoy birthday brownies just as much as cake.

Tanya said...

Happy birthday to Lisa! Fresh baked brownies sound more delicious than birthday cake! Beautiful pics of Lisa & the girls.. my youngest Samuel loves blowing out the candles too!.. only we have to re-light them for him to blow them out.. Tayla said to him on our eldest daughter's birthday.. "you're not blowing out the candles are you?, you would have to be 100 by now!" LOL!!

Have a great day,

love,
t. xxxx

KaTrina said...

I love pictures like this, where the girls faces can light up a room :)

dani said...

omgoodness, suz... (sigh) i haven't had brownies in ages, and they are my third favorite food (following donuts and reese's cups, ha)!!! i think i, like lisa, will have to have brownies for my birthday... only 5 more months.}:D
i love your pictures. thedonald's girls are all so beautiful!
happy birthday, again, lisa!!!
love,
dani

Lisa Christine said...

ohhh....this is fun reading all my birthday wishes!

Amanda said...

I would say that hot chocolate brownies would probably be better than a cake any day!
The pictures look like everyone enjoyed themselves :-)
I'll be 32 on my birthday ~ but i wish i was turning 29 too!
love,
Amanda x
(the girls are beautiful)

Anonymous said...

Oh sweet mercy I ♥ brownie sundaes. My birthday's March 18, in case you're in the area with a 9x18, or 8x8 of brownies.
I'll be 39, shhhh, and don't require candles, unless you'll have the conviently in your pocket. But they might not let you take them on the plane.

Anxiously awaiting!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debie Spurgeon said...

I love brownies. The fact that there was plenty of ice cream saved the day. Chocolate and ice cream, who could be disappointed at that?

Amy J. said...

I love that Donald made sure she had a Birthday "cake" I love the girls purple dresses. I love that you shared these pictures with us. (that's almost as sweet as Lisa sharing her B-day candles with her daughters :)

My Three Sons said...

Happy Birthday Lisa! What a fun party with fun people!!

Man, that chocolate brownie sunday is sure sounding appealing right now:)

Btw, LOVE the girls matching lavander dresses! Wish I had a girl of my own.

Also, Susan, your decor in your home is beautiful. You definitely have good taste ~ love the green on the walls and the curly willow in the corner.

The Garden Maiden said...

yummm hot fudge brownie sundays! I just saw a girl on millionaire who reminded me so much of you! she didn't win a million though. I bet you would be good on that show.