Saturday, January 10, 2009

Relativity???

I like to think about things. Sometimes when I start thinking about one subject or another, I can't help but wonder, just how many people have thought about the same thing. I used to assume that, if I thought of something, then of course most people did as well.

Then my daughter-in-law Lisa became a part of my life.

Quite often, when I am thinking about the various thoughts that pop into my head, and when I decide to engage others in my thought process, Lisa will laugh and say something to the tune of "Susan you crack me up. You are always thinking about things that no one else ever does."

I like when Lisa says something like that to me. I consider it flattering.

After all, doesn't everyone like to feel that in some areas of life, at least, they are unique? I also have been alerted to the fact by other (less loving?) people that I am not unique, I'm just a weirdo with too much time on my hands.

I prefer Lisa's opinion of course. One reason why I love her so much.

Well, I decided to allow myself some time today, to think about something I have considered before, but never gave myself the luxury of thoroughly thinking it through.

Anyway, here is my thought: We have lots of in-laws in this society of ours. If you are married you, most likely, have a Father-in-law as well as a Mother-in-law. There is a good chance that you may have two sets even.

You know, in cases of Divorce.

Of course, you don't need to be married to have in-laws. You can be a child, heck, in extreme cases, you can be just a fetus, and still have in-laws.

Those would most likely be a brother -in- law or a sister-in-law. You don't have to do anything at all to acquire those types of in-laws. Well I guess you would need to have a brother or a sister. And they would have to get married. Thus providing you, through no fault of your own, with a brother or sister-in law.

And this is where my thinking comes in.

You pretty much can have only one kind of parents-in-law. Whether they are step-parents or real parents, (you know, the ones who are responsible for the existence of the person you are married to). So basically, to be married is to have parents-in-law.

The thing is those are the only kind of parents in law you can ever have.

If your sister has a mother and father-in-law, that doesn't make them your in-laws. Just your sister's.

On the other hand, your sister's husband, is your brother-in-law. And likewise any other siblings that you and your sister may have, also have her husband as their brother-in-law.

Now here is where it starts to get weird.

Your sister's husband, and your husband, become brothers-in-law.

Do you see the difference there?

In other words you can have BIL's and SIL 's (I've decided to abbreviate) who will always be your in-law as long as you are married to their brother or sister.

On the other hand, the BIL or SIL who you are related to, only because you happen to be married to siblings, is a different type of in-law, than the one's you inherit by marrying your spouse.

Have I lost you? No? Good.

But just in case, to make it all more understandable, I am going to offer up examples. I will use Donald and Lisa, as my example.

Okay, here goes.

Donald is my son. He is the oldest of my five children. He married Lisa over eight years ago.

Lisa has five siblings, Donald has four.

When they married, Donald gained Lisa's five siblings as BIL and SIL's.

One of Lisa's siblings is married. Her sister Kristin's husband's name is Matt. So, Donald now has six sister and brother in laws.

If, if, Kristan and Matt got a divorce, then Donald would no longer be Matt's BIL. But he would still have as BIL's and SIL's Lisa's original five siblings. As long as Donald and Lisa are married Donald will always have Lisa's siblings as in-laws.

Just as Lisa will always have Donald's four siblings.

Of course Donald's sister, my oldest daughter Heidi, is married to Jeff. So Lisa has five siblings-in-law. Donald's four brother and sisters, plus Jeff who is married to Donald's sister.

My point in all this is there are different degrees of being a BIL or a SIL.

Lisa and Jeff are SIL and BIL to each other, simply because they happened to marry siblings. It seems to me that those kind of in-laws, are more of an (stick with me here) In-Law-Once or Twice Removed.

I think there should be some kind of definition here.

What brought this all on was the other day, I was reading my friend Mandi's blog. She had had an unpleasant experience with her SIL. Now I know Mandi's SIL Jennifer. She is another blogging friend. And I knew immediately that the SIL Mandi was referring to was not Jennifer.

Because (A. Mandi and Jennifer are very close and they really love each other.
and (B. Mandi is in the process of divorcing her husband, who apparently has either a sister or a SIL.

And that would be the SIL that Mandi was referring to.

Of course since I don't know anything about Mandi's (almost) ex-husband's family, that SIL could either be his sister or his brother's wife.

Okay, by my definition, here are the different kinds of sibling in laws.

The first, and I guess this could be the true SIL, is the sister of my spouse.

Next, would be the wife of my brother. Almost a SIL once removed.

After that would be the SIL who is married to my husband's brother (incidentally, I don't have one of those) I guess she would have to be a SIL twice removed.

I personally have only three SIL's.

They are the two women married to my two brothers, and my husband's sister. And I love them just as much as I love my own sisters. I only have come up with the terms once and twice removed to define the sort of SILs they are. So you see, once removed twice removed, it has nothing to do with how much you love them.

Well.

We have now come to the point when, certain people whom I'm aware of, would say, that I definitely have, not only too much time on my hands, but a terrible habit of trying to waste my friends, likely limited time.

Sorry, my friends, I guess I have explained and hopefully not confused any of you, to the point of my being deleted as a friend off your blogs.

In case you are anything like me though, I hope that you found this post of passing interest. If not, well don't even let me get started on COUSINS.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should do a cousins post. That totally confuses me, and maybe you could help.

I'm honored to be mentioned in your post btw. And your're right, I could never talk to my Mandimoo that way!!

I have 2 real SILs
1 SIL, once removed, as you put it.
3 Step SILs
1 MIL
1 Step MIL
1 FIL
3 ex SIL
1 ex MIL
1 ex FIL
1 ex BIL

I love this post!!!!
Will you be my ABSIL? Adopted Blog Sister In Law. I think we'd be great as family.

BTW...Nutella is chocolate and hazelnuts! oh ya baby!

Anonymous said...

Oh ya, one more thing...You might know my EX MIL and FIL...they lived in the tricities for 20 years or so, when it was itty bitty still. Like in the late 70s and 80s.
They don't live there anymore, but if you know them, and you like them, because they were actually lovely people, it's just their son I had a problem with, that wouldn't be so good, because "he" doesn't know where I live now.

Stephanie said...

Dave has 10 brothers and sisters. I donot even want to count the sil and bil and removed my head is spinning.

In the end we are all related.
If I could pick I would love you as my sister.

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

So I am your sil, once removed right?

I love you too, either way :)

Lisa Christine said...

Forget SIL's and BIL's...I am just super-D-duper glad that you are my MIL!

Jeanette said...

What is the difference between outlaws and inlaws? Outlaws are wanted. LOL

My family LOVES Jim (sometimes I think more than they love me), but my inlaws hate me. I've tried working on it for years, but now I just try to live with them. I could post at length, on my own blog of course, but they read my blog. I don't want to push things any further.

Mandi said...

Susan - I could simply say - I love you - every little bit about you!!!

As soon as I started reading this I knew where it was headed.

I cried.......that you thought about what had happened to me and this wonderful post came from it!!!

Ok, I will do my SIL/BIL list....

On my side:

2 SIL (the fabulous Jenn is one of these). and my younger brothers partner.
1 BIL (my sisters husband).
3 step sisters (2 with husbands one with a boyfriend) dont see them much
1 step mother.


On my husbands side, I have
3 SIL (soon to be ex husbands sisters
1 BIL (soon to be ex husbands sisters husband)
1 BIL (soon to be ex husbands brother)
1 BIL by marriage

Ok, Now I am confused.

Its interesting how these relationships change when a divorce is happening. With my husbands family - I have been a part of this family for 26 years, I have had a wonderful relationship with them all until they found out about our seperation. My parents in law have been great, One of my sister in laws has gone strange, but I actually think this is about her and not me. She divorced 5 years ago and her ex husband has only been seen by us once since then. My eldest daughter thinks that the Christmas rant was caused by the fact that I was there with everyone and it was all fine, we all behaved the same as we always have and maybe she was upset or hurt that I was able to be there and everyone was fine and her husband has never made an effort to stay in touch. I made this decision early on for my kids and because I have had these people as my family for 26 years and they have been wonderful, just because my husband and I were seperating didnt mean I didnt want them in my life any more it has been the exact opposite, I wanted this to continue for my kids as much as me.

Ok, now this is ridiculously long and I am going to stop now. I will post something that explains what happened Christmas day more than my comments last week.

Thank you Susan, you have made me feel so loved. P.s. I changed your description in my list of blogging friends, I dont know if you have notice but go take a peek!!

dani said...

what a beautiful mind you have, suz:) i love this post because i LOVED geometry; and this reminds me much of a geometrical proof:P
tee-hee!!!
love,
dani

Amanda said...

It's just amazing what goes through our minds!
(I usually think about totally obscure things at 2am! LOL!)
Not that i'm saying your thoughts are obscure!

We have a small family ~ i have a set of in-laws (who i like to call out-laws!) And 1 BIL.

Hope you had a great weekend!
l,
Amanda x

Tanya said...

Great post Susan!! I have too many in-laws to list lol!!!

Hope you had a great weekend :)

love,
t. xxxx

Jan said...

This is why I call your family and extended family a ward. But after reading this, I am changing it to a Stake. Wow.