Monday, January 12, 2009

I have a good feeling about this

You want to know one of the things I really love?

It's when I pick out another book to read.

Unless, it's one I'm re-reading, there's always that little bit of

Mystery.

Will I like it? Will it be worth the money I spent? (Unless of course I only paid 50 cents for it at Goodwill)

Quite often it will be from an Author I'm already familiar with.

But almost as often, I am giving a new Author a try.

New Authors make me a little nervous.

I love so much to discover someone whose words really speak to me,

and am so disappointed if they do not.

I am seldom though, without a book to read. There are quite a few, that I have promised myself to read for a second time.

I have been to Hogwarts several times. Last time through all seven years even.

A few of the other books I read over and over, To Kill A Mocking Bird, If you haven't, please promise me that you will. No one should ever die without reading that beautiful, insightful and inspiring book.

I actually finally got my father to read it before he died. (He felt the old movie was so good that it left little need for the book)

Fortunately it was one of those rare times when he admitted I had been right all along.

Another book I have read more than twice, The Lord of the Rings. I realize that this set of books will not be to everyone's taste, but please then at least read The Hobbit.

A few of the books I intend to reread: A Painted House - John Grisham,

Queen and Roots - Alex Haley

Hearts In Atlantis and The Stand - Stephen King,

and, all of the original OZ books by Frank L Baum.

This is what I love.

I get a new book to read.

I don't get to it right away usually.

I like to savor just having it.

Looking at it.

Promising myself.

I also need to finish the book I am currently reading.

The time comes for the new book.

I open it up.

If there is an introduction, I read that.

If there is an acknowledgement or a list of chapters, of course I read those.

I always read the prologue, of course I do.

And then I get to one of my favorite parts, Chapter One.

Sometimes it only takes a few pages, sometimes it takes as many as 50.

But the moment that I love the most. My very favorite part of the whole reading process.

Is when after reading those first few or even a few more, pages,

I suddenly get that warm, cozy, comfortable, feeling,

that this is a book I'm going to like.

This, this, will be a good read. This is a book that I am going to try to pace myself with.

So it won't be over too fast, of course.

Yes, when I get that joyful feeling, that I am starting on a grand reading adventure, and that there is nothing else I want to do, other than curl up in a comfortable chair and

read,

Well that is one of my favorite feelings in the entire world.

In fact, besides having my children and being with my husband, well just generally spending time with my family.

I would have to say that the reading of a really good book,

Is the thing in the world I love the most.

18 comments:

Tanya said...

Reading a really good book is I feel one of life's little luxuries!! Enjoy your reading :D

love,
t. xxx

Lisa Christine said...

All time favorite post. LOVED IT!

I can't wait for the day when I have more leisure time to read. Wait. I take that back. Because that will mean that my children are grown or more self sufficent. And while a small piece of that sounds nice, the truth is that I love being a mom of young ones.

So I edit my thoughts. I will enjoy the days, when they do arrive, that I can sit down and spend and afternoon reading a book. But I'll enjoy all the days in the meantime, just being a mom :)

Once again, this was my favorite post to date.

Jeanette said...

I agree with Lisa, I loved this post & I look forward to a time in the *distant* future to read more.

My husbands favorite author is Dean Koontz. He reads and re-reads his books all the time.

dani said...

to kill a mocking bird is a favorite of mine, too, suz:)... both the old black and white movie AND the book!!! i think i must spend too much of my time on my laptop because the only time i ever have extra time is when we go to the beach.
much love,
dani
ps have you ever read "like water for chocolate"???

Kelly said...

Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to write something that will give you that kind of feeling :)

Heidi D said...

I am re-reading the Narnia series. I am on the Dawn Treader right now...my favorite!~

Amanda said...

I have read A Painted House a while back now and it was good ~ i went through a John Grisham stage and i read all of his books (one after the other!!)
Have you ever read any books by Anita Shreave? She is just wonderful. My favourite book of her's is Sea Glass.
Another good book i would recommend is one called Life Of Pi by Yann Martel.
I like reading too and i love nothing more than visiting Boarders Books or Waterstones.
I just wish i had a little more time to indulge!

Would you believe that i have never seen the movie or read the book To Kill A Mocking Bird?! Will have to get a copy next time i'm in the book shop!

Love,
Amanda x

Alicia said...

I love feeling like I need to pace myself so it isn't over too fast. It seems like very few people understand that feeling. I'm with you forsure, I love getting cozy and reading and losing myself in something so completely.

Mandi said...

Susan, susan, susan, again we are far too alike!!! I adore reading (my family doesnt like it because I read and read and read), Once I get into a book I will read it until Im done, sometimes this means 4am in the morning, and then I have to drag my sorry ass out of bed for work. But I love a good book!!!!

The Donald said...

Mom, I do have the Christmas Sweater for you to read. It is a great book. I will have to remember to bring it over sometime.

Anonymous said...

hey u got a nice blog.thats fantastic.u have got a nice taste.i think i can follow ur blog for reading books.if u find some time visit me for news from INDIA

Amy J. said...

Can I just say "Ditto!" Loved this post! And I totally agree.

Anonymous said...

This post makes me all warm and cozy inside! Loved it

My Three Sons said...

Amen! I completely agree with you, and I LoVe lOvE LoVe The Lord of The Rings, too! I can't understand when people say they don't like it! What?

Also, Don is right, The Christmas Sweater was a very sweet book, a good read. I got it for my birthday in November and read it at the beginning of the Christmas season, you'll enjoy it too, I am sure.

Have fun reading!

My Three Sons said...

p.s. are you interested in joining a book club?

My Three Sons said...

Your comment on my blog led me to believe that you would be...PERFECT for our book club!! We'd love to have you. We actually just met on Saturday and Megan Johnson chose the book "Cold Sassy Tree" by Olive Burns (I think that was her name). We won't meet again for about a month. It's so fun and we have read so really fun books like "The Other Boleyn Girl" "East of Eden" and "The Secret Life of Bees"...I think you'd fit right in!

Tabitha said...

I love reading too ~ I have read To kill a mocking bird several times ~ the first time was when I was studying in school ~ I agree with you that it is definitly one to read!!
I am reading a book by Anita Shreve at the moment ~ called The Pilots Wife ~ it is very good so far!
take care ~ love and hugs Tabitha XXXXX

Belle (from Life of a...) said...

Just came across your blog this morning. To Kill a Mockingbird is my second favorite book, I believe. My all time favorite is The Water is Wide by Pat Conroy. I think you'd like it if you haven't read it yet.