Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A First Time For Everything.

Things are a little sad around here today. Something that I have feared for over 22 years has finally happened.

When Shawn was very young he went to the Tri-Cities' Developmental Center.

He loved going and they loved having him go and everyone was happy with the wonderful arrangement. All the teachers and helpers there LOVED my Shawn.

He was also quite popular with all of the other children too.

All through school Shawn was well loved. That was such a relief for me because I had worried so much about people picking on him, you know, calling him a Retard or a Freak or some other horrible name.

Those worries of mine never really materialized though.

Sure over his long and happy School career, there were times when someone would try to be mean to him, but woe to that person. They soon found out just how many defenders Shawn had.

Well this is my sweet boys' second full year of NO school. It's been hard for him to not have his week filled with the constant activity and socialization that was school.

He has happily found a place at the ARC of the Tri-Cities. A worthy organization if ever there was one.

Most Tuesdays and Thursdays Shawn can be found doing all kinds of fun activities around the Tri-Cities with his ARK buddies and their activity leader Amanda.

Today was the whole group day, where they stayed at the ARK building and watched movies, had popcorn and basically just hung out and visited with each other.

A happy day for Shawn indeed.

So you may be thinking what is wrong?

Well I will tell you.

For those of my readers who are LDS like me, you will know exactly what I'm talking about. For my non LDS readers I'll try to make it clear for you as well.

In our Church, when you graduate from High School, there is a Social Group called young Adults. Now young men in our Church usually go on their Missions at Nineteen, but not all of them. For the kids who aren't away at College, or on a Mission, or are back from a Mission, there is the Young Adult Program.

When I was young and single I thoroughly enjoyed my young adult group. My cousin Debbie and I who are the same age went together and we had so much fun.

I met my husband Don through Young Adults by the way.

Now as fun as it can all be there is also learning involved.

Once a week there is an evening called Institute. All of the young adults, well, ideally, all of them, attend Institute where they learn more about the scriptures or Church history.

Things like that.

Shawn had never attended Institute before. There wasn't really anyone to take him, or to be his friend when he got there.

This last December, a jewel of a girl named Xiomara, See-oh-mara, or just See-oh for short was home from college. Xio had been a member of the Buddy Club while Shawn was in High School.

The Buddy Club is yet another opportunity the ARK has made possible for regular High School kids to get to know and befriend the disabled kids at their High Schools. Xiomara had been the President of Kennewick High's buddy club her last two years of school. Plus she and Shawn knew each other from Church.

She happened to see Shawn one Sunday at church .
She asked him if he would like to attend Institute with her the next Tuesday.

Boy did he ever.

Shawn went with her for all of the weeks she was home during her winter college break.

He LOVED going.

I asked him if he knew anyone there. Sadly he didn't. Only Xio.

Well, it was a sad time at the Sorensons the week she had to leave and go back to Idaho for school.

For the next month Shawn would ask me on Monday and then several times on Tuesday if he was going to attend Institute that night. I told him "no, I don't think so."

I had really hoped that while he was there those few weeks that someone other than Xio would get to know him and that he could be pulled into the group and find a whole new group of friends.

This was not to happen.

Xio told me that sadly they were a pretty cliquish group. They weren't really friendly to anyone that they didn't already know.

A few weeks ago, my cousin Debbie, the very same cousin whom I had attended Young Adults with, came to mind.

Well more like her darling daughter Aubrey came to mind.

Aubrey has moved here to the Tri-Cities recently. She's been here a few months. Shawn adores Aubrey.

She is just as golden a person as Xio is.

I talked to her and she was more than happy to come pick Shawn up and take him to Instuitute with her every Tuesday.

So for the last four Tuesdays Shawn has again been able to attend Institute once more
.
Here is where it gets so sad.

Debbie called me today to tell me that Aubrey's hours at work have been changed, and that she will no longer have Tuesday nights off.

I guess it's pretty obvious what that means for Shawn.

No more Institute.

I had asked Aubrey the same thing as I had asked Xio. To try to help him get to know people there so that he might have other friends that could pick him up and take him so he can go and have at least one friend there every Tuesday. Sadly Aubrey told me that it was the same situation. That they were not friendly. That no one there had any interest in Shawn or in being his friend.

I'm a bit heartbroken over this.

The moment that I have worried about his entire life has come.

Here he has an activity he wants to do.

A good, worthwhile, activity.

And he can't because nobody there is willing to take an interest in him and be his friend.

I'm also sad for those young people.

If they would give him a chance they would see what everyone else has always known. And that is that Shawn is one incredible guy. If you are Shawn's friend then you are a friend for life.

Shawn has such a huge reservoir of love that he just pours out love for anyone who has ever been his friend.

So I am doubly sad that these people are missing out on getting to know one of the sweetest, friendliest, happiest and most loyal people they could ever have in their lives.

Please help us by saying your prayers for Shawn.

That hopefully, someone will come along, that can be his new friend and take him to Institute every Tuesday, and maybe, find in him such a friend, that they will even be happy to hang out with him at other times. After all, seven days is a long time when you only have companionship a few of those days.

One more thing.

If you don't live anywhere around me, then consider finding a Shawn of your own. A disabled person who could really use a friend. There are more of them than you would think. And they are in every community.

Hopefully we will meet another angel like Aubrey and Xio, who can see just what a funny, sincere, sweet guy my Mr Shawn really is.

Until then Shawn will wait by the window every Tuesday night wishing for someone to come and pick him up, and take him to Institute.


Update: Well, actually a little more information.
My husband Don, has already called two of the leaders in charge of Young Adults. That was over a month ago and we have never heard anything from either of them. I am really tempted to go there one Tuesday night, without Shawn, and explain to them all just how much Shawn is being hurt by their narrow minds. The only thing is I'm afraid that if it didn't make any difference , that I would really be angry and bitter.

20 comments:

Debie Spurgeon said...

Oh Susan this breaks my heart that he so enjoyed going and now isn't able to. I will definately keep shawn in my prayers and pray that someone will take him. What a neat experience that must be for him to want to go and enjoy it.
(Thanks for tagging me, I'll get on that this week.)

Lisa Christine said...

That last sentence was especially heart breaking. Poor Shawn. I can just see him sitting and staring out the window and not understanding why no one is coming.

I love your advice for people to find 'their own' Shawn. What a wonderful place this world would be if everyone could reach out and help others a little more.

I hope that Elisabeth will grow up being as accepted and as loved by her peers as Shawn is (or was).

Heidi D said...

Poor Shawn. :( Is there anyone in your ward that goes? Maybe you could talk to the single adult Bishop. I bet he knows SOMEONE that could be his friend. A little bit of effort may be all it needs.

Stephanie said...

Oh Susan that is exactly my biggest heart ache for Elisabeth. She sits here alone. It actually challenges my feelings of Christlike love by young adults. Sadly my own 29 year old would not even take her to activities. I have friends who live in Utah with a son with downs syndrome. It is the same for him. I thought if I moved to Utah it would help Elisabeth but not so. That is why we had hoped she could drive. Then she could attend activities( Singles is 30 miles north of here)
I keep singing the song if you don't walk like most people do but truly for most young adults it is a falsehood. If you are different you are alone. I have had to become numb to live with the heartache. Now I am boiling mad just thinking about Shawn and Elisabeth and their kind sweet natures and how they don't even harbor bad feelings towards those that exclude them. It truly is a knife in my heart.

KaTrina said...

This breaks my heart and makes me so mad about how people my age can be so ignorant, to such a great person.

Amanda said...

Poor Shawn ~ my heart goes out to both you and him. I hope and pray that something can be worked out and that Shawn can attend a class and find a place that he loves and makes lots of new friends.
He sounds like a great young man Susan and i can just feel how pround you are of him.
Much love and hugs to you all,
Amanda x

Kristen said...

My heart breaks to think of such a lovely person as Shawn not being embraced.

Your challenge to people to find a "Shawn" in their community is inspiring.

Jan said...

Stories like this Susan bring me to a sad state. I am so very sorry for Shawn. I wish he didn't have to lose such caring people either. That is so unfair. I hope someone does come along and take him to Institute. I read Stephanie's blog too about her daughter Elizabeth.

Shawn seems like such a great and fun person too. One that likes to sharpen pencils and make you happy at the store. Giving caring and full of love. Sorry you have to watch this.

David said...

somebody nice will come along i'm sure. hopefully.

dani said...

suz, can you not talk to the person who runs this particular ministry??? i cannot (well, i can but would rather not) imagine that if his situation were brought to the attention of the other young adults that they wouldn't embrace him??? this is a church group for heaven's sake!!!
love and prayers,
dani XX

David said...

all of those cliquish people are very Linear in their thinking.

Jennybell said...

I'd feel like going there myself and breaking up the little clique. It's so hard when your kid isn't included for any reason. It's those kids that need prayed for. Shawn is already blessed. I'm not LDS, but I feel what ever your religion is when someone meets you they should want what you have, you know? They should see you as accepting, friendly and compassionate. Doesn't sound like that's the vibe those kids are putting out.
My cousin has a son who has aspberger's autism and his HS refused to let him walk at graduation, afraid he'd make a scene.

libbie said...

This really is sad. It actually makes me sad that these young adults have not picked up on the situation. I think that maybe instead of talking to them, you could maybe talk to the institute director and ask him to talk with them about it. That might be a better way to approach it? I don't know. I just know that if my sister were able to go (long story, ask me later) she would take him with her. So there has to be some people over there who just aren't aware of the situation, but would gladly do that for Shawn.

Tabitha said...

I hope that you manage to get things sorted out for Shawn ~ it is so sad that he has to miss out on this.
Take care ~ thinking of you,
Love and hugs Tabitha XXXXX

Stephanie said...

Oh dear I don't want you to be heartbroken anymore than you already are. Prayers for our kind hearted adult children.

Mandi said...

Susan, big hugs for you and Shawn. It really disappointing tha these "young adults" are so selfish. I would think that making Shawn part of this experience could teach them so much, but they are two interested in their own social activities to be able to embrace all that being Shawns friend would bring them. I have to say I am very disappointed in the leaders that they did not get back to you.

I hope that things will work out and a new ray of sunshine will brighten Shawns day, its hard to be patient but something else will turn up!!! I just know it!!!

Lots of love - m.....xxx

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

ya know Suzan - maybe we should go in there together, and do some head crackin'!! Boy- it is hard to swallow just how self centered this age group can be... oh yeah "christ like behavior"

I will pray for a friend for Shawn.

The Garden Maiden said...

My heart is breaking. I am afraid I might do the same thing you suggested. Not sure that it would help though. There is nothing more powerful than prayer and I will indeed remember Shawn in my prayers.

KaTrina said...

I just read the update,

How about instead of going in there and letting them know how you feel, you write a letter. If you write a letter you'll be able to revise it until you think you got your point away in the best possible manner.

Josephine said...

I only just found you through Lisa's blog since you posted about Elisabeth for her. (My daughter has hydrocephalus too, which is how I found Lisa) So I've only read this one post about Shawn, so don't know yet what medical condition it is that he has, but it made me very sad to read. Of course I worry about stuff like this for my own daughter as she gets older, and I wish people could be more accepting and loving, not only for the sake of our special kids, but for their own sakes - if they would only take them time to get to know them, they would realise how amazing they are.
I look forward to reading more. I guess I should have stuck this comment on you giveaway post...!