Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Me and Ray



I love to read.

Most of the time that is

For some reason I fell out of love with reading for the last few months. I just couldn't work up any interest in the many books I have stowed away just waiting for me. I felt bad about it but I just didn't have it in me to sit down and read.


This is where Kelly comes in

Kelly is my 27 year old, still lives at home, but is now attending our local college, middle child. He has discovered how much he loves learning.

This quarter (or it could be semester, not sure) he is taking an American Lit class. He is discovering authors that he never knew of, authors whose names he was familiar with but had never read, and a few whom he already knew he enjoyed.

When Kelly is excited about something, he loves to talk about the subject of his new devotion.

We were at Barnes and Noble a few weeks ago and as we sat at the cafe enjoying our nibblies, he looked up at the montage of classic authors that adorn the walls. He was really pleased to tell me that now he actually knew who most of them were.

I let him know how proud of him I was, and then I thought to ask him about one of my favorite authors of all time.

Ray Bradbury.

Kelly is quite familiar with good old Ray. He decided to ask his teacher what she thought about Bradbury at his next class. She agreed that it was quite a shame that he hadn't been included in the text book the class uses.

I started thinking more and more of Ray, and remembering all of the fantastic stories of his I had read over the years.

Fortunately I had a few of his books on hand, which I gathered up and brought down to my bedroom to read.

Oh such literary bliss.

I read the one about the boy raising giant mushrooms in his basement.

I read about 43 year old Willy who never aged beyond his 12th year.

I read about the great and terrible family who had amazingly terrifying powers, and weren't shy about using them.

I read stories of Martians, and about Rockets, and people who seemed to have wondered into the Twilight Zone. (Which, by the way, Bradbury wrote a few episodes of.)

One of my favorite and most chilling stories, about young children playing a game one summer afternoon called, "Invasion"

There really are too many to mention here.
I was just wondering how many of you have read anything of his.

I think the one book that most people start with would be "The Illustrated Man" I read this one first myself.

It was a Junior High reading assignment.

I got so caught up in the marvelous stories that I ended up reading the entire book, not just the few stories we were required to read.

Most of his books are compilations of short stories.

Most but not all.

The one novel that I remember reading (and plan to read again) would be "Something Wicked This Way Comes"

Years and years ago, when the Disney channel was worth paying extra for, they made a movie of this book that was incredible.
I haven't seen it in probably 20 years and I don't even know if it's available, but it was one of the best Disney Channel Movies ever.

I feel that it's only right to thank Ray for getting me back to my books.

I went to the used bookstore in town today and found several of his later works that I have never read.

Of course I bought them all.

If you enjoy Mr Bradbury as much as I do, or if you think he's worth discovering, or if you've only ever read one of his stories that has stayed with you ever since, then leave me a comment telling me your thoughts.

Who knows we might even get some kind of book club thing going here.

I can't wait to read your thoughts!





19 comments:

Heidi D said...

OK, first off, he is so cool because he took a portrait with his cat. Which looks like Bruce incidentally.

Second, Jeff's parents have that movie. He wants it known that it scared the crap out of him when he was little.

Third, I LOVE the Twilight Zone and I would be delighted, nay, honored to read his books.

Jan said...

I am boring. I read history things right now. I am learning about that trying to help save the world :)

This does sound good though. Happy reading Susan.

Alicia said...

Sadly, I don't think I've read any Ray Bradbury. I'd like to read Fahrenheit 451. I'll have to put it on my book list.

Debie Spurgeon said...

I am hoping to soon have some motivation to read. My reading at the moment consists of blogs and pottern barn catalogs. My kids all read A LOT and I'm grateful for that because they don't have a mother that sets a good example. Enjoy your stories.

Lisa Christine said...

You know that I love Ray Bradbury! And that is a HUGE compliment to him because usually that kind of thing isn't my style. But his stories (most of them) captivate me.
I was always so intrugued by the one where the girl lives on another planet where it rains all the time and the sun only shines once every few years. And then her classmates locked her up as a joke and she missed the sun....remember that one? What was it called? I will have to reread it.

Lisa Christine said...

Yes to the book club by the way.

SuzanSayz said...

That's one of my favorite ones too Lisa. It's called "All Summer in a Day"

KaTrina said...

I like his stories as well, but I'm not as familiar with him as I'd like to be.

AND, I am also very proud of Kelly, now only if we could make it so you had a spare bedroom ;) I'll work on that for you lol

David said...

susan, i've heard other people praise the disney movie "something wicked this way comes," I have got to see it!

Kelly said...

The Last Night of the World.

Just reading the conversation between two men discussing the end of the world as if it were some innocuous event.

I've been trying to capture that kind of aloof conversation in my writing ever since. It's probably why I'm so good at dialogue in my stories. That's what people and professionals have told me, it's not just my opinion.

Kelly said...

Oh, and Fahrenheit 451 made me sick to my stomach with its subject matter and how realistic and believable the story was. No other book has done that since, and I doubt one ever will.

Phil said...

Hey Susan, a great post on Ray B. Do you frequent the Bradbury message board (www.raybradbury.com/mb.html)? It sounds like you ought to. Lots of fellow fans hang out there.

(I also have a Bradbury website that might be of interest: www.bradburymedia.co.uk)

- Phil

Jeanette said...

I haven't read his work. I haven't read anything since Jackson was born. I have tried, but he takes too much of my attention. I get jealous of my friends in book clubs who have the time to read. I look forward to having the time again, and I will put Ray Bradbury on my list.

dani said...

if you start a book club, i will start reading again... btw, i've never read any of ray's books but have heard of something wicked this way comes.
junior high... high school... college... i had honors lit and honors humanities all the way through... how could i not have been assigned to read any of his works???

much love,
dani xxx

David said...

thanks for the clicks susan! It's all for you guys. Any payouts will be returned in the form of giveaways!

libbie said...

I love how much you love to read! I used to read all the time, but for some reason have let myself get too busy to read. That will all be changing soon, so I will have to check out the Ray fellow!

David said...

you need to do a killian korn contest to celebrate going over 10,000 page views!

Amanda said...

I go through reading spurts ~ sometimes i can't put a book down, other times i can't be bothered to pick a book up!
I haven't looked at any of his books. Will have to look into them when i next go to the bookshop.
l,
A x

Alexandra said...

~NICE ONE~