Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What a crazy (and I don't mean that in a good way) World

Today in the paper I read a story about a Funeral Home being shut down because an employee had to cut a dead guy's legs off to get him to fit in the coffin his family had bought for him.

Now I realize that to the average Joe this comes across as a little gruesome.

The problem wasn't so much that he had cut the guy's legs off, it was that he hadn't gotten the family's permission to do it.

Here's the thing. The dead guy was 6 foot 7. I think we can all agree that he was quite tall. So why on earth would the family have thought they could go the cheap route with a standard size casket if they

A. Knew he would be too long for it. And

B. Didn't realize that the only way to squish him in there, would have been to cut either some off his top or his bottom.

I think the dead guy's family would have REALLY blown their tops if funeral boy, had gone with the head and neck instead of the legs and feet.

And amid all of this I just can't help but wonder,

Who Cares Anyway!?!

Well, apparently the State of South Carolina does.

The Funeral Home has been shut down. Not necessarily because they cut off the guy's legs, but that they did it without his family's permission!

That's right. The same family that didn't even think to ask if a 6 foot 7 inch tall man would actually fit into a standard size casket.

Which, by the way, happens to be 84 inches long.
That's true. I did research.

Okay, if this is all that had happened it would be a semi-funny, but kinda creepy, typical news story.

But wait, there was more.

It appears that in the State of South Carolina it is against the law to cut up a corpse. That is of course unless the family has actually agreed to it.

If there is consent then they can cut the dead to fit in whatever casket you want to use.

I assume that means within reason.

I doubt if it would be allowed to cut someone in half so that they could fit into that pretty little (and slightly cheaper) casket meant for a ten year old.

Alright, so we now know that cutting a dead person up without permission is a crime in SC. But here comes the really ridiculous part.

The standard sentence for the guilty chopper is ten years.

Ten Years! Can you believe that?

There could possibly be someone in South Carolina's State Pen who's "crime" was cutting a few inches off a corpse to make him fit in the casket the family had bought for him.

I can't believe that with all the talk nowadays about overcrowded prisons, that the courts would actually be stupid enough to use up a cell for some poor schlump who was only doing his job the way he thought best.

Granted ,the article did say that cutting up a corpse was the crime. So I guess they could also be referring to the serial killer who's freezer is chock full of frozen fillets of human.

I guess it might be meant to cover more heinous crimes like that.

But I still think it's pretty stupid. If someone has been caught with a chain saw and a bunch of fresh human parts, then I think it's pretty clear that what they have here is a really, bad, guy.
He should be facing the death penalty or at least the rest of his life in prison.

And the fact that he took his jollies in cutting up what he had just killed, well sure, I guess. Go ahead and tack on ten more years to his sentence.

But if it happens to be some unlicensed Funeral Home worker who forgot to ask the grieving family for their permission to make sure that Grandpa fits nicely in his too small coffin?

For heaven's sake. Fine the guy a few hundred and get on with it.

Save that prison cell for someone who really deserves it.

30 comments:

Stephanie said...

I guess I shouldn't complain. Poor guy. The family probably has pull in government to get such a tough sentence

SuzanSayz said...

I guess I made it sound like the guy at the funeral home was going to jail over this. The article didn't say that. In fact I think it happened just a few days ago, so there's no way he ould be sentenced already. It just implied that that "could" happen to him.

Lisa Christine said...

Ahh....I see that the Susan that I love so much is back in full force! What a very interesting and slightly disturbing post.

I blame the family. Put them in jail for being stupid.

Heidi D said...

Wow, that's is crazy.

I hope he just gets a slap on the wrist.

Amanda said...

I just don't understand what the family were thinking ~ buying a coffin that wouldn't fit the poor dead guy?!

This is an interesting story ~ if you find out what happens to the funeral home worker, will you let us know?

Love,
Amanda x

Jan said...

What a bizarre story. You think you read it all and then something new comes along. This is new :)

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

They could cut his legs off as punishment... and since he's not dead, it's probably not a crime!

Alicia said...

This is funny! Not because cutting up a corpse is funny, but because Daniel, who is 6'4", is always saying that when he dies he'd rather have his legs cut off, than have to special order a casket (it all comes down to saving money for him)...I guess for us, the permission has already been given.

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

eeeewwwww, cutting up anyone dead or alive is just gross. I say let the guy go and tell future families of tall dead family members to cremate!

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy Brinkerhoff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy Brinkerhoff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

for some insane reason my last comment posted four times. No my opinion is not that important!

Anonymous said...

I guess in the US there is no such problem as overcrowded cemeteries, if you go to big cities in Italy or France or even Spain, people buy one "family niche", then it's a common custom, after a few years a person has been buried in a normal casket, to exhume the bones, clean them, and cram the skeleton in the family niche together with the bones of other family members.
(Hope the description is not too gruesome.)

I am from Italy and I have seen it done, because cemeteries are overcrowded, and usually people don't sue so easily and courts would just laugh at such a "crime" as making a guy fit in a casket. :)

Stephanie said...

Susan you are too, too sweet. If you win that lottery ;that like me I doubt you play; you spend that on your sweet family. We are going to be ok. I just don't like change or challenges all that much. Bless you kind heart. Have a great day.

David said...

isn't there an expression that you can't make this kind of stuff up? real life is so much weirder than fiction

Jeanette said...

We live in a weird world don't we?! I do wish I could be there as the funeral worker was looking at the too tall man and the too small coffin and was trying to figure out how to get him in. Maybe he should have just tried to bend the guy at the knees to try to cram him in. Or rested him in the fetal position. OR he could have placed him in the coffin and let his legs dangle out the end all exposed. You get what you pay for.

Jennybell said...

the punishment doesn't often fit the crime anymore. Shouldn't this guy just have been fined and not allowed to work in a funeral home anymore?
When we lived in North Carolina guys who sold drugs, mostly marijuana get life in prison. LIFE. Now I know drugs are illegal and wrong and I've never even tried them myself. But, child molesters would get 5 years or less. That is so crazy!

dani said...

surely there's more to this story... like maybe the family wasn't told that grandpa needed a longer casket!!?!? (i mean surely the family didn't tell the funeral home to make him fit???), or is it possible that grandpa had pre-planned and had purchased a casket that was too small???

anyway, the family should have been notified before any drastic measures were taken...

poor dumb boy:/

omgoodness, can you imagine the disturbed look on the family's faces when they walked in for first viewing. to find that it was obvious that grandpa had been hacked at the knees!!?!? it had to be very obvious.

much love,
dani xxx

dani said...

ps. happy birthday:D

Jan said...

Happy Birthday.

dani said...

just as soon as i clicked "end" i thought of it, suz... wagstaff!
l,
d

Tabitha said...

A big Happy Birthday wish ~ from me and my little stars ~ to you!
Love and great big hugs Tabitha XXX

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday!! :-)

Tanya said...

Happy Birthday Susan.. have a wonderful day :D

Love Tan xxxx

Katie said...

Happy Birthday....a few hours late!

I got your blog from Lisa. I have been meaning to comment on some of the things you post on...funny!

You and I share a similar sense of...humor, thought process, um come on people idea.
Anyway.....

to most in blogland I am just Lilah's Mommy...but to those who know me best and understand me(not many)...I am KrazyKatie

Anyhoo...thought I'd say hi, happy bday, and I agree with your thoughts on this post.
Trust me...I like 20 miles from the SC border..they have some strange rules.

Lisa Christine said...

(Alexandra did a birthday post for you last night on her blog)

:)

libbie said...

you can make any subject so very amusing to read about! what a wierd story. if that guy gets 10 years in prison, i will be PISSED.

BTW. Happy Late Birthday! Hope it was a good one!

Jeanette said...

Happy belated. I left you a birthday shout out on Heidi's blog and JUST realized, I should have left one here. Sorry. Happy Birthday to my blogging friend! I hope it was a great day.

David said...

31 comments? wow!

time for a new post susan, this is ridiculous :)