Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The "R" word

This is something I have been thinking about doing a post on since I first started my blog.

First I will start off with some wisdom from William Shakespeare

"A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet"

I believe this is generally interpreted to mean, that no matter what you call something, it doesn't change what the thing is.

Lately there have been quite a few times, when I have heard people refer to what they call, the "R" word.

They are talking about the word retarded.

The fear they have of this word goes to the point of ridiculousness. My son Shawn is mentally retarded. He is one of my most beautiful blessings. He truly brings me joy. Then I have my beautiful, precious little grandaughter Elisabeth. Among the many problems this sublime little girl has, she is also mentally retarded.

When Shawn was a baby, it was obvious that he was different. As he reached the age of six it became necessary for him to have a "label". The school system requires children getting special services to have an actual diagnoses to show that they are in need of the help they are receiving.

Shawn is autistic, but he is also mentally retarded.

From the time he was two he went to the "Developmental Center". They are such a wonderful organization. The teachers are all some of the most beautiful and loving people you could ever hope to meet.

They also have one of the hardest jobs you could ever imagine.

The difficulty lies, not in their work with the children, no that is where they have their pure delight.

The problem these dear people dread facing are the Parents of these special children.

Parents who, for whatever reason, have a hard time accepting their precious children for what they are.

Parents who are offended at the most harmless question or remark.

Parents who are firm believers in the new, so called "sensitivity".

Those parents do NOT want to hear that their children have anything wrong them. They are offended at even the suggestion that their child is not normal.

This has always amazed me. Why on earth are their children even at a place like the Developmental Center if their child doesn't need help.

I was never afraid of words like Mentally Retarded or Autistic.

As far as I was concerned Shawn was absolutely perfect as he was.

Labels like "differently abled" or "developmentally delayed" always annoyed me because they were so broad and vague and therefore, to my way of thinking, meant next to NOTHING.

If your child is retarded then he is retarded. There is absolutely NOTHING disgraceful or dirty or shameful in being this way.

I like accuracy.

If something is blue then it is blue. If something is tall then it is tall.

I feel that when people call the word "retarded" a horrible word, and diminish it to the "R" word, then they are, as well, diminishing my wonderful, beautiful, creative, friendly, happy and completely perfect son Shawn.

That is what I find offensive.

Are they saying that my grandaughter Elisabeth and my son Shawn are too disgusting as they are, so we have to call them something different to reduce the shame of who they are?

That offends me like nothing else ever could.

The reason that people see the word retarded as such a bad word is because for as long as I can remember it has been used in such negative ways.

Ignorant people, use the word to describe anyone or anything, they don't like. They feel that calling someone a Retard is one of the worst insults they can sling at a person.

I grew up during the Sixties and early Seventies.

Back then society was so backwards that it was generally considered good to separate mentally retarded children from the so called "normal" kids.

I won't even get started on how wrong and stupid this was.

One of the results of treating these incredible people as cast offs, was that everyone saw them as worst than even second class.

Even today, there are so many ignorant, small minded people who still slander the word retarded.

Do you want to know something that really upsets me?

I never let Shawn hear me use the word when talking about him. And do you want to know why?
Because most of the times that he has heard the word it has been when he is out with his ARC friends doing fun things around town.

Believe it or not there are still people who are so stupid and small that they think it's fun to try and attack those who are different than themselves.

I'm afraid that if Shawn heard me tell someone that he is Mentally Retarded, that he would shout out "Take that back. I am NOT!"
Not because he understands what the word means. No, it's because he has heard it used by foul, filthy, idiotic, people as an insult.

As a consequence he doesn't really understand that the "R" word is nothing more than a word that describes a particular way of being.

People who just happened to be born a little differently than the majority.

People who are beautiful in every way.

People who, if you show them even the slightest bit of interest, will love you immediately.

People who are too perfect and pure to hold to their grudges.

People who don't understand why they are being treated so poorly by those whom they only want friendship from.

People who have so much to offer the world.

If only the world would slow down enough to give them half a chance.

There is NOTHING wrong with the word when it is used appropriately. That is unless you see something wrong with people who happen to be mentally retarded.

If that is the case then all I can do is offer you my sympathy for being a hopelessly ignorant, human being.

On the other hand if you feel the love for these most special people that I and millions of others do then please try to stop seeing the word for their condition as a "bad" word.

It's just a word.

A perfectly acceptable word when used in it's proper context.
The word itself means; to hold back, to slow the progress of, slow or limited intelligence.

I see absolutely nothing in that description to be ashamed of.

Maybe they can't do math, or read, or understand how to play board games. Maybe they can't even talk or run and jump.

So what?

The things they can't do are such an insignificant problem when compared to all that they excel in.
They can love longer and stronger.
They can look at you without judgment.
They know how, better than most, to enjoy even the simplest pleasure.

The only tragedy I can possibly see in these most special of people is that we can't be more like them.

If you are one of those who see the word retarded as a bad word, I suggest you look at your reasons for this.
If it's because you have heard others denigrate it and insist on using more pleasing euphemisms, then why don't you ask them what there is to fear from using the proper word.
By refusing to use the "R" word, in my opinion, you are refusing to accept my son and grandaughter for who they are.

I guess if you don't agree with me there isn't much I can do about it.

But for me and the others who think like me, I am taking the "R" word back.

16 comments:

Jennybell said...

as a medical term of course it's fine the kids are mentally retarded. I personally don't like when they call someone a retard, I don't think I'd mind saying he or she is retarded it's just the shortened retard. That usually comes out mean spirited and that's why I don't like it. Just like nerd or any other mean spirited name. I say Naomi is developmentally delayed because she wasn't delayed or retarded from birth and the seizures have scrambled her brain but the Dr's think her development is delayed, meaning she'll just be late meeting her skills but she will meet them. Where as someone who is retarded I would say will never meet all the milestones.
I don't get all the elaborate labels, I mean that's kind of like calling me a domestic engineer instead of a stay at home mom. I know the special olympic kids wanted the "r" word banned and I have compassion for that. I think it's the spirit it's all done in. You know if someone is being mean or just stating a fact.
why do we need the labels at all really!?
I think I'm first!

Jennybell said...

Ok I wrote all that then had this thought.
I think it's really doesn't matter whay you call them just don't IGNORE them! Greet them and smile like you would to anyone. I think since Naomi's started having her problems I'm more aware and try to say hello, or smile when passing at a retarded person just like I would anyone else, but don't patronize them. They are adults too.
There's a mentally retarded bag boy at one of the grocery stores I go to and you have to be really patient with him as he tells you all about his nieces and his cat! :) I always make sure I let him finish his stories, then get in the car with a smile thinking about how many people have heard the story about his cat that day!

SuzanSayz said...

I agree with everything you say here Jenny. It infuriates me to NO END that people and their ignorant stupidity have turned retarded into an ugly word. It's so common to hear teens throwing the word around at each other.
I swear one day I'm going to approach them and set them straight.

libbie said...

AMAZING post Susan. This one should be published in every newspaper/magazine in the world. Really.

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I like the new picture! Very nice!

Give Shawn a big old hug from me and good post!

My Three Sons said...

I LOVE this post, Susan! You have such great insight. Someday you and my Mother have GOT to get together! You would have so much to talk about. Marisa doesn't like to be referred to as "mentally retarded" either (which is exactly what she is) because she was teased and made fun of at school to the point that she would cry when my Mother pulled up to the front of Southridge High to drop her off. (and unfortunately many of the ones doing the teasing were members of our church) My parents finally pulled her out and taught her at home. There is absolutely nothing wrong or shamefull about being mentally retarted, just the opposite. These people we are blessed to associate with are amazing spirits, who I am sure are much better than most of us! I couldn't feel more blessed to have Marisa as a sister, she has brought so much joy and delight to our family. She has the sweetest and most pure spirit and I feel awed to be in her presence. I know you feel the same way about Sean. Thank you so much for this post!

by the way...thanks for the fun comment on my blog...I am missing hhh ward so much and it's nice to still be in touch with everyone!

Lisa Christine said...

I am so happy that you wrote this post because I share the EXACT same opinion as you. I hate that I am not 'supposed' to call my own daughter what she really is. Absolutely. 100%. Completely. Drive me nuts!

Elisabeth is mentally retarded; and she is still perfect.

Thank you for writing this, and please, PLEASE submit it to the tri city herald.

Jeanette said...

Many things I want to comment on-

Beautiful pictures! Love seeing them.

I agree 100% with your post. My sister is an autism teacher and teaches the "unteachable" group. She is a hero to me. I could go on and on about her, but she has made her mission in life to give life experiences to the disabled. On her summer breaks, she takes mentally retarded children and adults camping, swimming, to amusement parks, etc. She used to work for the ARC and saw an area where she can help out on a personal level...One of her main frustrations is the parents. They are in denial and fight against the facts. Instead of helping their children be the best they can be, they want their children to be just like the neighbors. Sad.

Today in church, the institute teacher was talking to me and my mom about my sister's brother in law. (Confusing-sorry) Andrew is mentally retarded. He loves institute. The teacher was talking about how she loves having him in the class, etc. I thought of your post on Shawn. Has he gone back to institute?

David said...

you posted a new picture!

adults can pat themselves on the back all they want for trying to ban the R word, it's not gonna stop kids from being kids and having fun with the word in the schoolyard.

susan, it looks like you're back to posting Loooooooooooooooooooong posts!

Anonymous said...

One of John's nephews suffers from mental retardation too and he is one of the sweetest kids I ever met; I come from Italy and there we accept things as they are, and denying there is a problem, especially when it's a kid's own parents is almost ridiculous.

I agree that using the word in a derogatory and offensive manner is mean but as a technical term I don't see why they have turned it in such a bad word.

I too don't like all this political correctness.

Stephanie

Mandi said...

Wonderful post Susan!!! We have an ad running on tv and the radio here at the moment that (in a nutshell) says dont see my disability see the person........Its so true. I have been fortunate enough to have a relative that was physically disabled and mentally retarded. My kids were exposed to this wonderful boy from birth. He went to all our family functions, his progress through his life has been wonderous. He has finished high school, he has carers who are in their early 20's like him. They take him to clubs and he communicateds with people through a computer on his wheelchair - this kid LOVES life and enjoys every minute of it. My girls have been fortunate enough to be exposed to him and dont see his disability but see him, I am happy they are like this. I think alot of people are scared of mentally retarded people, they dont understand that you can communicate with them, they run and hide they are worried about their own embarassement, they are missing out on connecting with such beautiful souls. I also have a nephew who is severely autistic, which I have told you about before - it is all about the effort that you put in to reach them, I have been lucky, I have connected with my nephew so I enjoy him, others in my family are a little scared of him. My kids arent, they get it, they talk to him, even if he doesnt appear to be listening, they include him, even when he ignores them, but then all of a sudden he will come over and touch them or stick his face in theirs and smile and hug them and run away laughing.......We are blessed!!!

Anonymous said...

"A perfectly acceptable word when used in it's proper context."

Agreeing wholeheartedly with you, Suzy.

Lisa and I had a chat about this in comments on my blog.

I also posted (a while back on) 'acceptance' but sometimes link it forward when it fits. The parents who have not accepted their child is retarded or in any way different are suffering. Sometimes, just seeing the accepting nature of the professionals who work with their children helps them toward acceptance.

Thank you for this excellent post. Barbara

PS Any word-throwing-teens you decide to approach better look out! YGG!

The Donald said...

Ditto. Good post.

Lisa said...

Great post. Great comments. Thank you for an insider's point of view. I've seen the ads for the R-word to be placed in the same negativity as the N-word, but it is not. The N word was an intentionally created to harm. The word retarded is a definition, a way of understanding how one functions. I agree, keeping it around in proper context won't take it away from the "nanny-nanny-boo-boo"-ers on the playground, but it should not be given an entirely new definition just because someone got their panties in a wad.
Again, great post. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Coming from the angelic challenge: I never liked the word retarded as an insult even before I had a child with Down syndrome. It is demeaning to the person using it.
I work with diagnoses every day(x 30 yrs) and I'm here to say that it is a category of intellect, it is a pathological term that labels/describes the pathology/defect of someone in the DSMIV. In my business it is a necessary evil for billing purposes but it should never, in my opinion be used to describe someone in a personal way outside of a medical setting. Even at my work setting we aim to use people first language - in order to be more accurate. So, if someone meets the medical category of mental retardation than I feel more comfortable saying that they are a "person with mental retardation" than they "are" mentally retarded. Since a person is more than their IQ - and that's all the term mental retardation refers to. To be really accurate one should say whether they have mild, moderate or mild retardation or identify the number of their IQ?
The next DSMV will doubtless have some other termninology coming out soon!
But I love your basic message about your family. I have no doubt that my mother could have written this post :) Thank you.

Mrs. Mac said...

I wholeheartedly agree on the under use and misuse of this word. Sometimes when I'm with a group of strangers and I bring up the topic of my son, my mind does little flips trying to remember what the 'pc' term of the decade is. Last time I checked, retarded meant SLOW.