Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Oh the horror of it all

Warning: If you are squeamish, you may want to avoid this post!

My friend Dani, She lives HERE, has inspired this post.

I know I've done a post on this before but it's actually gotten worse the last several months.

I can't stand FOOD!

I can understand how wonderful that must sound to a lot of people but believe me, it's NO picnic. ("Picnic." tee hee)

It started a few years ago.

The thing that it all started with was bacon. I enjoyed bacon as much as the next guy.

At one time.

One night Courtney (who used to stay up really late) started cooking bacon at like two in the morning. My bedroom is just off the kitchen. I suddenly woke up. There was a really strong, really horrible smell. I heard people out in the kitchen.

It was Courtney and Kelly cooking bacon.
I first of all gave them the standard,
"What on earth are you two doing up at THIS time of the night.

Cooking BACON!?!"

Then I told them that "I didn't care if it was thirty degrees outside". Open the damn windows and doors and get that smell OUT of my HOUSE!!!

Now I can't stand even looking at the foul stuff.

On to Salmon.

I used to love salmon. I could have eaten it every night if given the chance. And since I am the menu planner around here as well as the cook we did eat a lot of salmon.

Then came the night that we had salmon and about 20 minutes after I ate it I got sick and eventually threw it up.

I wasn't really worried, I figured it must have been a bad night for me. It put me off salmon for a while though.

A few weeks later Don and I go to Red Lobster.

I order the salmon.

I won't go into the gruesome details, suffice it to say that I wasted my money.

After a few more unfortunate events, I realized that I could not even look at salmon without feeling woozy.

All right, I figured we would not have salmon anymore. Which made me sad because nutritionists are always saying how we should eat salmon at least twice a week.

A few months later, the same thing happened with beef. I couldn't believe that I could actually have prime rib and NOT enjoy it. So much so that I think I took two thirds of it home that night.

I figured that I would enjoy it more the next day anyway.

Hah, fat chance of that happening. I started feeling sick the second I opened it's little Styrofoam container and looked at it. I told myself that it didn't really mean anything.

I put it on a plate and popped it into the microwave.

The first 10 seconds were fine. But then I started to smell it warming up.

Yuck!

Yuck!

Yuck!

Kelly had a really nice lunch that day.

Next came chicken.

How can someone not like nice, neutral chicken?

I can still eat it in small doses it it's early enough in the evening. And if I can force myself to not get too queasy looking at it.

Pretty much, most every other type of food eventually affected me the same way.

In the morning it's not too bad. I can choke down most of a bowl of instant oatmeal, and even though eggs have, for the most part, become my enemy, I can eat them if I make them super fast and eat them just as fast. You know before the thought "Ewww. I just ate EGGS" hits me.

There is one category of foods I still enjoy.

Sweets.

Yes. I still love candy. Candy, brownies, cookies, cake, ice cream.
Dreyers frozen fruit bars in strawberry or lemon?

Devine.

But for most intents and purposes, I do NOT like FOOD.
I can't stand to smell it. I can't look at it most the time, (have you ever noticed just how many food commercials there are?)

Evenings are the worst.

I let myself get way too hungry because there is nothing I want to eat, then it gets past 7 and whatever I force down my throat comes right back up if I don't lay down and make myself not think about food. Especially what I just ate.

The other day, Lisa, (my daughter in law) told me "I can't believe that you don't weigh 120 pounds.

There is one reason for that and it's because of the sweet stuff.

I have type two diabetes. I'm on a few different medications. The problem has been finding a better balance. Byetta, which is the BIG one controls my blood sugars just a little too well. Before starting it I never had LOW blood sugar.

Only HIGH.

Now it gets so low that about two to three times a day I have to depend on the sweet stuff to bring it up.

It's taken me a few months of experimenting, but I have started taking cinnamon capsules three times a day. They work really well. So well that I have taken myself off of one of the pills I had been taking.

Now, I don't have nearly the problem with dangerously low blood sugars that I used to have.

I think I may have turned a corner.

If, as I suspect, I won't need to indulge in the sweet stuff so much anymore, I just might really start losing some more weight.
In the last two years, (roughly, the time all this distaste for food hit me.)
I have lost over fifty pounds.
I have kept it all off, but the last few months I can't seem to lose any more.

So I figure that it's time to make my little "food hating problem" work for me.

It will be hard cutting back on the foods I do love, especially since they are so few, but I want to get to the point where I only eat them because I need them for my blood sugar.

And not because it's so nice to eat something that I actually enjoy.

Will it work? Will I manage to drop some extra poundage? I really hope so.

I have one little reason why I'm actually not wanting to lose weight,

But that is a story for a different post.

(wink)

13 comments:

Jennybell said...

I wonder if it's hormonal or something? When I was pregnant I had a hard time eating meat. I couldn't stand the smell of hamburger cooking. I'm funny about eating meat, especially if it's something with a bone! UCK! I feel like a cannibal! One time I was eating left over roast beef and this thought went through my mind "this is good for dead cow" That was it, couldn't eat any more.
My mom has type 2 diabetes. She was telling me the lbs. were just dropping off her and she didn't know why. She thought she'd found a magic diet, Mt Dew and Hershey's bars! I said "have you checked your sugar!!!!"
Her friend has Type 2 and never had any weight loss! I told her that stinks! If I'm going to live with diabetes at least I could loose some weight!

Alicia said...

You and your cliff hangers! It's just not fair. You get me all engaged in your stories, and then you go and drop me. I hope you post again soon!

Amanda said...

I wish i had a few food types (junk food mainly) that turned my stomach! But i know that this must be a big problem to you ~ especially with your diabetes and the importance to eat a well balanced diet.
And hurry up and write that other post!! I want to know the whole story!
Love,
Amanda x

Heidi D said...

Poor Mama. :(

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Mmmm, I just got a cravin'for BACON AND EGGS!!! :) :) :)

Lisa Christine said...

Well, it sounds like you are a vegetarian now. Meat seems to be your biggest enemy.

I have often thought that it would be good to be a vegetarian....but I love my meat too much. I don't think that I could go meatless.

I also must say that I always feel sorry for you at dinnertime. You prepare the most delicious feasts, yet don't get to enjoy them.

By the way....I think I know the story for the other post! (wink wink....W.N.T.W.!)

Jeanette said...

I wonder if it is a side effect of your meds.? I am on Metformin (for reasons other that type 2 diabeties...) and I have the same issue. I thought it was hormones, but Jackson is close to 18 months now and my hormones are leveled back out. Now, I wonder if it is my Metformin. If only I hated sweets. Maybe I could fit into my before clothes. ;)

Anonymous said...

I have the opposite problem, sweets upset my stomach, I don't know why, and the same is with lettuce and other types of salad.

I lost lots of weight but that's because I'm still nursing a 22 lbs baby and I'm steady on my mediterranean diet.

But when I was pregnant I couldn't stand the smell of some meats.

My dad had diabetes and I remember he started disliking some foods; maybe it is the Metformin or other sugar regulating meds causing your change in food preference.

David said...

Bacon...mmmmmmmmmmmm

sweets...mmmmmmmmm

Stephanie said...

oh Susan Byetta has us both. I nolonger can take metformin and on only byetta I can nolonger cheat with sweets. I was so sick for months when I first started Byetta. I mean head for the bathroom sick. Then the lisinopril made it so I too could eat nothing. Turns out it causes high potassium. I hope for you the weight falls completely off and they say you are no longer diabetic. Truthfully I wish the same for myself and everyone else that has diabetes.

I am cheering for your success.

dani said...

i'm so glad you may have turned a corner on your sugar balance!!! that low/high swing can be pretty scary, and it's so bad for your body.

you know, suz... i'm not much of a meat eater either (really, only chicken for me, too). it doesn't make me sick, though, so long as there are no bones or frying involved.

my weight gain is 100% sugar intake!!! i've never met a pie, cake, cookie, brownie, donut, nor ice cream that i haven't liked... unfortunately:(

much love,
dani xxx

ps. i'm waiting with baited breath for the rest of the story:)

libbie said...

gosh . . . if only this could happen to me for about three months!

I am so curious about your last sentence . . . don't make me wait too long!

Mandi said...

I AGREE - YOU CANT, I SAY CANT SAY THERE IS ONE LITTLE REASON WHY I'M NOT WANTING TO LOSE WEIGHT AND THEN (WINK), AND NOT TELL US - NOT ALL OF US ARE CLEAVER - I INSIST YOU POST ABOUT IT NOW - YOUR DRIVING ME CRAZY, CRAZY, CRAZY.........YES THIS IS IN CAPITAL BECAUSE IM YELLING AT YOU!!!

But I do love you to death!!! x x