Saturday, January 23, 2010

Britney Spears sells dress for Haitians

I really hate Celebrities.

With very few exceptions they are the most
self important,
self promoting,
self indulgent,
stingy,
attention seeking,
and
downright nasty people on earth.

Ever since the tragedy in Haiti, it seems that you can't turn on your TV or radio, or read a newspaper or browse the Internet without some worthless Celebrity being forced in your face for their "heroic" efforts to save the hundreds of thousands of victims suffering from the devastating Earthquake of two weeks ago.

I would really like to see any of these shallow, spoilt, self important, idiots actually make a big enough contribution to cause themselves even the slightest amount of pain.

The other day, I read an article praising Madonna for her contribution to the cause.
Apparently she went through her furniture looking for loose change and announced to her adoring masses that SHE was sending a contribution of 200,00.00 to Haiti.

Oh my!

And then to show how even more selfless she could be she challenged her many fans to match her donation.

Did ya hear that all you Madonna fans?!?

She wants you to match her generous offering.
I'm sure that even Madonna is savvy enough to realize that her average fan is far short of having an extra two hundred thou to send to the rescue and recovery efforts.
She clarified her intentions.
Of course.
She told everyone to send as much as they can.

Hmm, how amusing that she has the nerve to expect anyone to send more than a dime or two. After all, if a fan was to give the same percentage of their, yearly net, as she did with her minuscule 200,00.00 it would amount to, perhaps, a quarter.
For the better off fan, gee, why not do Madonna one better and send off a really extreme amount.

Like say a ten dollar bill.

And that fan would still have sent more, by comparison, than "The Ever Holy" Madonna.

Do you know the people who's contributions really do make the world go round?

Those spotlight shy, individuals, whom I guess, would best be called "Old Money". You know those who didn't make their fortunes overnight.

They didn't sing, act, slam dunk a basket ball or host game shows to account for their millions and billions. Many of them have made their fortunes the old fashioned way. Through education, hard work and perseverance. Not to say that there aren't those multi-millionaires who see no need to look beyond their own lavish front gates.
But from my observations, those old, monied, families have a far greater appreciation of what they have and feel a more urgent need to give back than Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie ever could.

Or would.

Did you know that Nicolas Cage has more than ten mansions worldwide and way more rare and uber expensive cars than would ever fit in a 20 car garage. Oh yeah, and the poor guy is, of late, having money problems.

How very sad.

I just can't understand that kind of gluttony.

How on earth does someone like that live with themselves. To have that kind of wealth and use it exclusively for their own excessive self indulgence.

I don't know.

I never have and I'm sure I never will, come close to that kind of money. So maybe there is something I don't know about.
Does having that kind of wealth change a person so extensively that every good and kind thought you ever had, every hope of one day being able to help others, becomes so foreign to you as to render you incapable of love or compassion for your fellow beings.

Unless, of course, you can make the front page of USA Today.

I would hate to think that, that kind of selfishness and greed would be the rule instead of the exception.

Celebrities do as little as they can, while demanding the largest amount of attention and praise as possible. Why do you think they are putting on yet another of those sickeningly, self righteous, "We are the World" type "fund raisers".

They want to get the maximum amount of exposure they possibly can while putting out as little as they can.

We, the everyday Joe's, WE, are the ones expected to donate, to these ridiculously self serving "Events".

Just think.

If every single one of those ever so generous Celebrities were to give, say, maybe a twentieth of their annual income towards these, oh so worthy causes, there would be more available funds for relief than could ever be raised from one of their silly little Sing-a-thons.

So, Britany Spears, sweetie, save your nice little dress that you've decided to sell to raise money for those poor Haitians. Go ahead and give it to Sean Preston's Pre-School fund raiser for ergonomically correct toddler chairs.

I'm sure they would love to have it.

If you, and all of your fellow famous do-gooders really want to sacrifice for those hurting Haitians, then why don't you challenge each other to see who can send the most millions to further that ever so worthy cause.

And to really surprise people, while making a "difference", hold off on your interviews and press releases.

Who knows?

A few of you may find out that doing good for the sake of good and not to further your careers, might actually feel GOOD!

And in the mean time, be sure and check out that ever humble and generous little Justin Timberlake.

He is performing LIVE.

For relief for Haiti.

Such selfless generosity just kinda makes you feel warm all over.

15 comments:

Jen A. said...

ummm... Susan... it was an earthquake.:)

I'm going to go check in my couch cushions for my $200,000! It must be there somewhere.

SuzanSayz said...

Oooops. I actually even knew that. So much for accuracy.
I guess there have been so many disasters in the last few years that they've all just kind of rolled into one big heart-breaking lump of sadness.

Amy J. said...

I love love love your idea for them to challenge each other!

Them pay??? What a thought.

Kelly said...

I don't really have much money to give, but I do like to sing. Can I do that? Is there an official exchange rate between money and harmonized vocalization? I'm sure there must be. Otherwise what's the point of singing on TV? And how much did the celebrities charge for their appearances and performances anyway?

Jennybell said...

I saw it reported the Gizelle, the model, gave well over 1 million, and she didn't go on TV and boast about it, she just did it. I think JayZ gave a ton of money too and sang. They should all just give money and not have to boast about it.
Now I'll boast, Isaiah's taking $1 to school for Haiti. That's what they asked everyone to bring. Actually in my opinion, until they get their stuff straightened out, it's not even worth it. The people who need it won't get it and some idiot will get rich off of this tragedy.
Another thing about celebrities, I was just looking on Yahoo and Katy Perry and Russell Brand's engagement party was reported on (won't last) anyway, he's mentioned as "Funny Man Russell Brand" UHHHH is he funny????? Not so much

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I love this post... Thanks for warming my heart a little!! :)

SuzanSayz said...

Jenny, you are absolutely right about the money and supplies being sent amounting to so little. I thought about breaching that subject as well, but decided to stick to one rant, uh, theme, per post. Haiti is such a corrupt and depraved country that extra troops are needed to protect the rescue workers from the looters, gang members and local thugs. And that doesn't even take into consideration the thousands of currupt government officials that are taking whatever they can for their own coffers. Something else I should have brought up was the stupidity of those ridiculous "ribbons" all of the "Stars" were so "selflessly" wearing the night of the Golden Globes. Just one more proof of how shallow and idiotic those people are. And I can just imagine the outroar there would have been if someone that night had refused to play that asinine game and left their silly little ribbon at home. Our society places such an absurd amount of importance on these little outward signs of solidarity. Even though I'm not much a fan of his, I couldn't believe the stupid controversy that entailed simply from Obama neglecting to wear his little flag pin.
Sometimes I can't help but wonder where all of this superficial ignorance will land us.

Alicia said...

Interesting post! I wish there was a way to forward this to the 'principal' of the 'celebrity club'...to raise the challenge for them. I think they could all use a little more humility and gratitude...but then couldn't we all

I enjoyed your post!

Stephanie said...

You hit the nail on the head once again.

Jeanette said...

Brittney donating a dress would be more than she did when her hometown in Lousiana was hit by Katrina. I believe she said she would have to see what she could do.

I agree 100% on your take.

Anonymous said...

Agreed, Suzan.

Isn't there a verse in the Bible about - if you give publicly it doesn't 'count'?

Barbara
(still missing David)

Anonymous said...

Agreed, Suzan.

Isn't there a verse in the Bible about - if you give publicly it doesn't 'count'?

Barbara
(still missing David)

Lisa Christine said...

I have thought a lot about poor old Haiti lately. It makes you feel like you want to help....to do something. But then I realized that I can't save the world. What I need to do is start with my family, my friends, my community. I need to do what I can here first. To help those right around me. Does that make any sense? It does in my mind.

Also, I know that the church is making great contrubutions to the relief effort. So by paying tithing we are doing a great amount of good.

libbie said...

LOVE THIS POST! You definitely hit the nail on the head.

I will NEVER give money to any of these celebrity fundraisers, or any charity for that matter. The only thing I donate money to is tithing/fast offerings . . . . because I KNOW that 100 percent of it goes to help those who need help.

dani said...

i love you, suz!!!
your words (paraphrased) actually came out of my mouth while we were watching the george clooneyathon (poor guy, it didn't even seal the academy award for him).
much love,
dani xxx