Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Princess and the Frog


I loved this film!

If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it for everyone. Well, at least everyone that is old enough to know how to properly behave at a movie. There were two groups of parents, I think one was most likely a grandparent, with young children in the theater with us. Their children would NOT shut up. I gave them plenty of evil stares, but since I had three of my granddaughters with me I decided not to actually tell them to shut their kids up.

How smart do you have to be, to realize, that if your kid can't keep his mouth shut for the length of a movie then they are TOO YOUNG to be there.

Lorelai was the youngest of us and she didn't make a noise the entire time. It was that good. She and Abbey and Lindsay were so enthralled that they never took their eyes off the screen.

The music was incredible. I can't believe the reviews I've read complaining that Randy Newman shouldn't have been chosen to write (and perform) the songs. I have always loved jazzy, Cajun type music. And there is plenty of it. Anika Noni Rose, who is the voice of Tiana, is a pleasure to listen to.

She really brings her character, Tiana, to life.

I never have understood why the young women that provide the voices for the Disney Princesses never seem to be able to move beyond those roles. They all have such beautiful voices. Much more so than say, Britney Spears, Beyonce or Jessica Simpson. I would love to see Ms. Rose come out with an album. Her voice is so clear and pure, so alive! I could listen to her sing the phonebook and be happy.

The "side" characters are also done to perfection.

The villain, Dr Facilier is as evil as any Disney villain has ever been, but he is also quite fascinating. I've always loved reading about and watching anything concerning Voo Doo. Tiana calls him the Shadow Man. A very fitting nickname for a dark, dangerous man with one foot in the world of evil spirits. He is just plain fun to watch.

Then we have darling little Mama Odie. She is basically the opposite of Facilier. She performs magic as well but hers is tempered with wisdom and good values. She is blind as well as 200 years old, but with the help of a kind hearted and loyal pet snake name Juju she is still in top form.

Of course there are the typical Disney talking animals. They are a great bunch. There is Louis the big, fat, jazz loving, alligator. He doesn't want to hurt anyone, he just wants to play his trumpet. He longs to be human so that he can play with the many Jazz performers he hears on the Riverboats floating down the river. Then there is dear, friendly, loyal little Ray the Firefly. At first it seems as if he is there simply to be comic relief. As the story moves along though, his true colors shine through and he (as well as his new best friend Louis) show what brave and steadfast characters they actually are.

I heard a reviewer, (our local Mr. Movie. Yeah, he's as lame as he sounds) point out that Prince Naveen is not your usual Disney Prince. He seemed to consider that a bad thing. Trust me it's NOT. Of course the Prince has to be a shallow, materialistic, jerk, who only wants to party and have a good time. How else could he grow up and become a man thanks to Tiana's influence.

And then there is the animation itself. It is stunningly beautiful. Computer animation is wonderful of course but the old fashioned, drawn by hand, animation style is alive and well. Something I was so happy to see. After all, it's what I grew up with. And it's obvious that those Disney animators have not lost their touch.

All in all I give this movie a great big THUMBS UP!

And I'm sure that if I include Heidi, Shawn, Abbey, Lindsay and Lorelai, that it would be a solid SIX THUMBS.

You certainly can't argue with that. Do yourself a favor if you haven't taken the time to see it yet.

GO!

I realize that I can't speak for everyone, but this film is worth whatever it costs to see it on the BIG SCREEN!

12 comments:

Jen A. said...

Oh goody! I am glad to hear it is good because I am planning on taking Sophie to it for her birthday!!! She is VERY excited! Surely enought to warrant all the exclamation points that I used just now.

Lisa said...

So good to see Disney making great animated films again, instead of just backing Pixar up. Perhaps this will be a good first movie at the theater to take N to.
(That being said, I can't wait for Toy Story 3 in June!)

David said...

susan, i was THIS close to seeing it last night. sounds like i should have!

dani said...

if YOU say it is good, i know it will be, suz! after hearing negative reviews, i had decided not to see this one in the theater ... sounds like it's time to re-evaluate my plans:))) i love that you all enjoyed it so! i also love that animation is still on the table at disney:D
much love,
dani xxx

Jennybell said...

Love these type of movies! I'm sure we'll own the DVD at some point! I couldn't DRAG Isaiah to a princess movie :) and Naomi would never sit through a film (Isaiah sat through Lilo and Stitch when he was 2! and was very good)

Jeanette said...

It looks like such a cute movie, but I hate frogs. Even animated ones. The gross me out. I love your review of the movie, maybe I will catch it on DVD.

Lisa Christine said...

Thank you for taking Lorelai. She felt SPECIAL!

Kristen said...

Yes, yes, yes, please add me to your sidebar. I've already got you on mine. :)

David said...

ok i just saw the frog princess, and i give it my seal of approval! :)

Amy J. said...

I have been needing to go see a good movie on the big screen! You just talked me into it!

Anonymous said...

Appreciating the review, Suzan. (Now that David is no longer providing any - comments here do.not.count in my book, David.)

Oh, and, David - Taps? Sadly cute.

Barbara

Jenn said...

Susan, you need a new pic of all your grandkids! The link for your blog is a bit dated ;)