Friday, April 9, 2010

A small annoyance

Do you want to know one of the things that really makes me mad?

I hate whenever I voice a concern/complaint about something to a cashier/waiter/head of department-type person and they call over a supervisor for help.

Don't misunderstand my gripe here.

Usually the calling of someone of higher authority is my idea. I don't like wasting words or time on someone who doesn't have the means of satisfying my dilemma.

So quite often, the superviser/manager/owner/whatever, is called by my request.

Here is what irks me.

The second the higher up, shows up, (in fact often before said superior has even had a chance to come to a complete stop), the employee will start to rapidly expound on what MY problem is.

This makes me SO mad.

I am the one with the question and or problem. And as far as I'm concerned it is MY right to speak for myself to the superviser.

I have never liked to let anyone else speak for me.

Plus I'm not stupid.

It's quite obvious that the employee who I have a problem with is trying their hardest to turn the situation around to where I am the bad guy.

I decided a few years ago that I will no longer allow this to happen.

Now, when I run into a situation where I feel the need to go over someone's head I will not let anyone but myself explain my problem.

Let me tell you, it feels so much better to be able to tell the PIC (person in charge) what is irking you, all by yourself, instead of letting some, verbally challenged, self serving, little minion, try to explain your problem to their supervisor while at the same time making sure to cover themselves from any possible blame or wrong-doing.

So, just for the record, this is one more of my little rules to live by.

I do realize that there are times when letting someone else speak on your behalf is not only a good thing but most likely the smartest thing to do.

That's why we have Lawyers after all.

But for all of those other times.

When an employee has been rude, dismissive, ill informed or just plain stupid.
When I need something explained or (more likely) want to explain something myself.

When,

I want to point out a discrepancy,

all by myself,

in my own words,

without interference by someone who just wants to cover their own butt,
then please, just stand aside, shut your mouth,

AND

LET

ME

SPEAK

FOR

MY OWN FLIPPIN'

SELF!!!!!!!!!

13 comments:

Alicia said...

I can't say that I've been in a situation like what you have described, but I can see why you feel the way you do.

Now you've got me wondering if I do that to the students I help at work. I'll have to watch myself and fine tune my customer service skills.

Jeanette said...

I agree! I especially hate it when it is on the phone and they put me on hold to get the suprevisor. I KNOW they are spending that time covering their butt and making me out to be the moron. When I hear, "This call may be recorded..." I think, "I HOPE SO!"

Jennybell said...

I hate it when you voice a complaint about an employee or hotel owner and the company has THAT person call and offer you a free stay or what ever so they can soothe you! If I enjoyed myself the 1st time I would not have called to complain, why would I want to go back!

Heidi D said...

This just makes me want to get the keys and wait in the car.

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

you are so funny. This made me wonder where you were when this post was inspired?

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I hate when lackey minions try to cover their butts... they are typically SO bad at masking what they're actually doing!!

David said...

susan, when i have to call over a supervisor, i explain the customer's issue to save them the hassle of having to tell their story all over again, after having already explained it to me. i consider it a courtesy to explain on their behalf. also, it demonstrates to the customer that i was actually listening to what they said, if they hear me explaining it correctly to someone else.
it sort of depends on the situation. if it's simple, i explain it to the supervisor. if it's complicated, i briefly introduce the issue..."he/she has a question about this or that..." and let the customer take it from there.
susan, you're the kind of customer that once you've left the employees will spend the next half hour talking about what a headache you were!

has lisa told you about the olive pit?

Lisa Christine said...

Wait a minute?!! Where is my comment? I left a comment on this a day or so ago....and now I come to read what David had to say...and my comment is no where to be found?

Hmphhh!

From my personal experience I have to agree with David. When I used to work at Hallmark I would usually try to handle the situation for the customer. I think it shows you care more than simply trying to dump the problem on the PIC.

See you laters!

SuzanSayz said...

Hmmmmm. Something to consider. I guess I can see how that could be the case. The problem that I have though is when the employee's explanation doesn't even come close to what I had told them. That is when I come unglued. And THAT is when it's obvious that they aren't trying to smooth things over and make it easier for me. They either didn't understand the problem in the first place OR they are simply trying to COVER THEIR BUTTS!
Come to think of it, there have been times when the employee HAS communicated to the supervisor so well the problem that I feel quite satisfied with the transaction.
And believe it or not, I can actually be quite contrary AND civil at the same time.

David said...

also, if the customer starts telling me their problem and i immediately recognize that it's something i'll have to get the supervisor for, i politley stop the customer in their tracks so that they don't have to give me their long drawn out story only for me to tell them i have to get a supervisor and then have they say it all over again.

and it puts me in an awkward situation when the first thing a customer says is, 'i need to speak to your supervisor.' because half the time it's something they don't need a supervisor for. i have to ask them what it is about, and when they start telling me, and if indeed i do need to get a supervisor, it makes me look like an idiot for not just getting one to begin with. but if i go straight away to get a supervisor without having determined what the issue is, and it turns out that it did not require a supervisor, then i'll get a talking to for not handling it myself.

susan, the bottom line is that there is just no smooth way to handle these things. somebody gets annoyed any which way it goes.

i could do a whole post on how annoying these word verifications are that everybody uses now!!

Lisa Christine said...

David....I took off my word verification....did you notice?

Jen A. said...

I don't get enough activity on my blog to EVER use a word verification.

wv: elionshi

dani said...

you GO, suz!
l,
d xxx