Sunday, March 20, 2011

Good bye etsy

As most of my long time readers know I am a seamstress, and I have a shop on etsy. You can go see for yourself. TwiddleSticks
I'm afraid though that etsy, while still unknown to a lot of people has strayed away from it's original intent of being a place for individuals (as in ONE person ONE shop) to sell what they make with their own hands.

At least as far as children's clothing is concerned.

When I first joined in Spring of 2008, I had modest success and sold 6 dresses. I kind of lost interest though and let my store fade away. I tried to resurrect it last summer with new dresses but. . .

NO LUCK.

So I kind of lost interest again.

Then I went to a small neighborhood craft show with my little dresses and had a fairly successful time with that, so I decided to try etsy again.

Crickets. . . .

Yup that's right. NOTHING.

I think that the problem is that etsy now belongs to a few large concerns who seem to have the market cornered as far as children's fashions go. Shops that sell and have sold thousands of items.

Now tell me does that sound possible for one person and her sewing machine?

No. I don't think so either.

In the meantime I have been approached by a friend of my daughter-in-law Lisa. Her name is Nancy and she also knows the frustration of competing against the BIG GUYS. So she has gone and made her very own Internet store and wants to sell my dresses.

I figure, why not?

So very soon I will most likely be taking everything off etsy and moving them to Nancy's site. I'm also on the lookout for local craft fairs and bazaars.
In the meantime, I'm just going to keep on making the little girls dresses and tops that I love to make. Some for my beautiful little grandaughters and some to sell.
Will I be successful at last?

We'll see.

Lucky for me, I'm not in a position where I really need the money.
It's just my little hobby and making money is simply a lovely side benefit.
Here are some pictures of some of my latest creations.

Enjoy!


This darling little lady is my 8 year old grandaughter Alexandra.
This is my friend Charlene's daughter Lilly modeling a dress I made for her.
I call this one the Birdcage Dress. Charlene is buying this one for her youngest daughter Tessa.


And here is my beautiful little 6 year old grandaughter Lorelai modeling this sweet little blue and white checkered top I made a few days ago.


I'll put up a link to Nancy's shop when my dresses are on there for sale.



7 comments:

David said...

1st!

Unknown said...

Fantastic work! I say there is a big market for modest clothes for tweens and I think your the woman to do it! (practice on Heidi's girls ;D) I have been looking for cute clothes for my daughters and can't find anything that a pedophile didn't design.

It's too bad etsy has changed. It reminds me of when ebay changed.

Happy sewing! ♥Jeanette

NormalToEatPB said...

So cute, I like the blue gingham (? not sure about the spelling) Do you make matching dresses for dolls as well?

SuzanSayz said...

No not usually. One year I made my grandaughter Abbey who is now twelve a whole trunk full of clothes for her Cabbage Patch Doll. And I have made quite a few for Lorelai's and Alexandra's American Girl Dolls. Generally though I find making dolls clothes too tedius. And Jeanette, I will come up with some items for your sweet and beautiful tweens!

Kristen said...

I didn't find etsy to be a great place to sell my hats. It is very saturated with sellers that is for sure.

When you switch over to Nancy's site I"ll be sure to change my link for you on my recent blog post of Cayman in her dress. I can't wait til this summer when I can get outside for a much better photo shoot of her in that beautiful dress!! Thank you again so much! I am still marveling over having a Susan original.

Lisa Christine said...

I hope that Nancy's website is a huge success! It sure looks nice!

Lisa Christine said...

Oh look! David was first!