Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of

What does one do at 3:30 in the morning when one can't sleep?

Why gets up and writes a new post for her poor neglected little blog of course.
This is one I've wanted to do for a while and kept forgetting about.

When I'm in my sewing room, well, sewing, I almost always have my stereo on listening to music. That's where my stereo lives, as well as my (also neglected) iPod.

I have a pretty wide range of music that I enjoy.

The other day I was listening to my Carly Simon compilation cd that I burned for myself several years ago. You know? Carly Simon?

You're So Vain

Anticipation ( no, it's not just a ketchup commercial song)

Nobody Does It Better (James Bond. The Spy Who Loved Me)

That Carly Simon. I love her. It's one of my go to cds for when I don't know what I want to listen to.
Anyway, to get to my point. One of my most favorite of her songs is titled,

The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of

I LOVE this song. It's about fidelity. It's about long time love. It's a reminder that even though the grass may look greener on the other side of the hill. . . .

That when you get there you will find that what you thought was a lot of green are actually a ton of weeds.

I can't usually listen to this one just once, I usually hit replay. There aren't a lot of songs out there that speak to the beauty of being in a long steady solid marriage. That at times may seem old and boring, when in reality is safe, and warm and comforting. With a long history of shared memories.

Shared experiences.

Shared hardships.

Shared joys.

I guess you would have to say that it's. . . . . .

The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of

I can't hear this song without thinking of my husband Don and how much I love him, and all the things we've been through together in our 34 1/2 years of marriage.

If you've never heard the song or have forgotten about it here are the lyrics.



Take a look around now

Change the direction

Adjust the tuning

Try a new translation

Don't look at your man in the same old way

Take a new picture

Just because you don't see shooting stars

Doesn't mean it isn't perfect

can't you see...

It's the stuff that dreams are made of

It's the slow and steady fire

It's the stuff that dreams are made of

It's your heart and soul's desire

It's the stuff that dreams are made of

So what's this about your best friend?

She's got a brand new shiny boy

And they're moving out to Malibu

To play with all his pretty toys

And you feel closed in by the same four walls

The same old conversation

With the same old guy you've know for years

But use your imagination

And you will see....

It's the stuff that dreams are made of

It's the slow and steady fire

It's the stuff that dreams are made of

It's your heart and soul's desire

It's the stuff that dreams are made of

What if the Prince on the horse in your fairytale

Is right here in disguise

And what if the stars you've been reaching so high for

Are shining in his eyes

Don't look at yourself in the same old way

Take another picture

Shoot the stars off in your own backyard

Don't look any further

And you will see It's the stuff that dreams are made of....

Aaaaah. Perfection. An ode to real love. Real, long lasting love. There just plain isn't anything better.
And since I can't possibly improve on ( and wouldn't even try) what Carly has so beautifully put into words. . . and song, I will close out this post by putting the spot light where it belongs. . . .

Note : Apparently, there isn't an official video of this song but this one is really nice.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

NormalToEatPB said...

it's beautiful. . . I want to link my starry starry night to this :)

Heidi D said...

I like some of Carly Simon. You're So Vain being my favorite.

Lisa Christine said...

For the record, I have never, ever, not once, thought of my marriage to Donald and old and boring...glad about that :)

Great post!