Thursday, May 1, 2008

Flowers and candy

WE GOT MAY DAYED!!!!!

I can't believe it! I read Lisa's post today about May Day, and it brought back some happy memories of being in elementary school and learning all about May Day and then making little flower baskets to take home and hang on neighbor's doors.

It was so much fun, and it makes me sad that this cute and fun little, sort-of-a-holiday, has for the most part been forgotten.

Well here's what happened to us today.

I had just finished a new dress to sell in my etsy shop, and I was kinda on an etsy high because two days ago this lady bought TWO!!!!! of my dresses.

I headed over to Lisa's to have Alexandra put it on and model it so Lisa and I could list it.

If you want to see it go to my etsy shop. MAN I HAVE GOT TO LEARN HOW TO DO LINKS!!!

Okay okay back to my story.

We got some really cute pictures and got it listed and all was good so I came home. I was upstairs at my computer, when Courtney called upstairs and asked me where the flowers had come from. Now I had almost no idea what she was talking about. But in the back of my mind I said [to myself of course] well it's May Day isn't it.

I told Courtney I didn't know anything about any flowers and asked her to be a little more clear in what she meant. She said in a somewhat exasperated voice [keep in mind that she was downstairs and I was upstairs, so this was almost a shouted conversation.] I just had a feeling that something wonderful had happened and that we had been May Dayed.

I asked her to bring them up to me.

And she did.

They were May Day flowers!

I couldn't believe it. I mean who does this anymore!

I looked them over. There were actually two different May Day baskets. One of them had the name Jacob written on it. This was a pretty big clue, because two houses down from us is a family that has three boys.

Their names are Jacob, Michael and Nicky.

I know these three boys because every year since we have lived here, and this will be our fourth summer here. My two oldest Granddaughters, Abbey and Lindsay have come and spent time here with us, during the summer. They have made friends with several kids in our neighborhood and These three boys are some of their favorite friends.

To make this a little more clear, Lindsay and Michael, who are the same age and in the same grade, really like each other.

They REALLY like each other.

I am sure that they are the ones to bring them here. Shawn was home the whole time I was at Lisa's doing my etsy stuff and I asked him if he was the one that brought in the flowers.

He said yes.

Then I asked him if they had knocked or rung the doorbell and run away.

He said yes.

Then I asked him if he had seen if it was Michael and his brothers that had been the ones there.

He said "I think so."

Well I have added up three + one, that would be the three boys and the one Shawn. And have come to the conclusion that it was definately them.

Isn't that just the cutest thing?

Now though I'm not sure what to do. The flowers were really nice. They were in an actual grower's pot with actual, plant them in the ground type flowers. They also put some chocolates in with them too.

I suspect some adult involvement.

So now I'm not sure if I should blow their secret and let them know how happy this has made me, or play along and not let on that I know it is them.

Hmmm.

I am going to have to give this some thought. In the meantime. . . . . .

Happy May Day to everybody! !

5 comments:

The Donald said...

Wow mom, you were May dayed. How cool is that? I will be sure to have Lisa read this when she gets home.

Anonymous said...

Aww, I remember doing that when I was a little kid! I didn't know anyone did that anymore, thats awesome! I'm happy you're happy :)

Lisa Christine said...

Yay!!! I think it's fabulous that the tradition is living on. We didn't get may dayed with real flowers, but Lilly brought over a tissue paper flower that she had made at pre-school. It was very pretty.
I am happy that someone thought of you today!
I think that next year I am going to surprise someone with flowers :)

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I think you should definitely NOT let them know that you know... Instead, you should be VERY vocal about how much you love and appreciate the flowers... Plant them prominently and say (when they boys are within earshot) how nice it is to have lovely flowers around. Chances are good they'll start giggling and either burst with joy, or tell you that it was them...

KaTrina said...

Mayday is coming up quickly!! Hopefully you get 'maydayed' again!