Friday, May 2, 2008

Something important to think about

Why, Why, Why, does life have to be so hard?

My daughter Heidi called me today and we had a nice talk. Apparantly she and her husband Jeff are hoping to adopt. She is the mother of my two oldest granddaughters my sweet kindhearted little Abbey, 9 going on 10 , and my darling spunky little Lindsay, 7 soon to be 8.

Heidi has been trying for years to have another baby and they haven't had any luck. This has been really hard for her because she really planned on more than just 2 children.

She has been looking into the foster care system and has discovered how many children there are in the State of Washington that are up for adoption. They have found a beautiful little 3 year old girl with blonde hair and blue eyes. The Case Manager Heidi talked to says that this little girl does not have any of the problems that a lot of children in the foster care system usually have. Heidi feels really good about her and she and Jeff are starting the long proccess to become her new parents.

Now this is really good news and I am quite excited at the idea of a new little granddaughter.

It will be wonderful for Lindsay, because Abbey has been acting a little bit teenagerish lately and everything Lindsay does seems to annoy her. This is hard for Lindz because she wants a sister that she can be best friends with like she and Abbey used to be. I know that she will be the best big sister in the world.

Now for the really sad part of this.

Heidi and Jeff really want a little girl and thats what the social worker has been helping them with. But she couldn't help but tell Heidi about this sad situation.

Apparantly there are two brothers who have been in the system for years who are up for adoption. The oldest one is 8 and his little brother is 4. His little 4 year old brother has Down-syndrome. They have been in the system for 4 years or in other words for his little brother's whole life. The big brother absolutely loves his little brother and is very loving, helpful and protective of him. He is completely devoted to his little brother and of course the little 4 year old is completely bonded with his big brother.

The problem is that there is a family who wants to adopt the 8 year old but they don't want this precious, innocent, happy little 4 year old boy because of his being Down-syndrome.
I am so heartbroken thinking about how sad of a situation this is

I just can't imagine the anguish this will cause these two little brothers to be seperated like this. The social worker lady told Heidi that they are trying really hard to find a family that lives close to the people who want the 8 year old so that the two brothers can still see each other.
I just feel so horrible about this and I wish I was younger and had more energy to take both these little boys into my home. It really could never work for me though, because we already have our wonderful youngest son Shawn, who is also mentally retarded, but pretty high functioning. He is such a blessing in our lives and I have always felt so honored that Heavenly Father entrusted him to us.

I hope that there will be some family out there with a big loving heart that can see this little Down-syndrome boy for the special little spirit that he is. I truly believe that these are some of Heavenly Father's most choice spirits that have very little need to be tested on this earth, and are here because they did want the opportunity to live their life out on earth, but had progressed so far in the pre-existence that they really have little need to be tested in this life.

Please say your prayers for these two special little brothers that something will work out for them to be together or at least to be able to still see each other frquently.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats absolutely heart breaking. My aunt has adopted 4 children of her own, because she is unable to have children. The mother she adopted the second little girl from was addicted to cocaine and the first child she had was born addicted, as well as the second, and the third of which is a boy. Every time this woman gets pregnant, my aunt adopts them so they can stay in the same family. I wish more people would take this into consideration, and help these children stay with their siblings as well.

Lisa Christine said...

It is heart breaking to think of these boys being separated. I too wish that I could do something to help, but obviously my plate is full at the moment.

I am so excited to think that my girls may have a new cousin soon! And that would be 6 granddaughters for you!

SuzanSayz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KaTrina said...

I'm just kind of curious as to what happened with this? Because of the possible move did they change their mind? I really hope they're able to do whatever it is they'd weather its adopting or not.