Monday, April 20, 2009

Welcome to Hell

I visited Hell this morning.

It has definitely earned it's reputation.

My little corner of Hell was called "The Pierce County District Court". If there are slums in Hell then I surely was cruising through one of the worst.

It all started three weeks ago (give or take). When we had the happy occasion to go over to what my brother Mike calls the "Wet Side". In other words the greater Seattle Tacoma area.

Mike and Cindy live in the most beautiful and charming little, Dick and Jane, town you've ever seen. It has things like Bowling night, Swim night, Halloween activities, even Town Meetings. You are always welcome in FirCrest Washington.

A little slice of Paradise.

In fact if Don and I had just stayed in FirCrest everything would have been just fine.

We didn't of course.

We decided to go exploring. For some inane reason I wanted to check out some of the stores that Tacoma has that we can only dream of here in the Tri-Cities.

What we got, was lost.

At one point in our state of motoring confusion we ended up crossing the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. A nice enough bridge. A bridge that you would never suspect harbors a nasty little surprise.

It is a TOLL BRIDGE!

Now I knew that there was a Toll Bridge somewhere around there. I was so frustrated at the whole mess of having no idea where we were, and so worried if I had the cash on me to pay the toll in case this was "THAT" bridge, that I didn't even see the Toll Booth. Don ( who was the one driving) apparently saw it but said that he didn't know what to do because there didn't appear to be anyone there to take our money.

Enough background. About a week after we got home, we received an official looking envelope with a Gig Harbour Stamp on it.

Gig Harbour being one of the other little communities in the general Tacoma area.

I knew it had to be something bad.

I'm smart enough to know that it wasn't a nice little survey saying something like,

"We are so happy that you visited our little town, please fill this out to let us know what you liked and what you think could use some improvement."

Yeah right!

It turned out to be a nasty little notice that we had been photographed "in the act." Our little crime spree, that consisted of "sneaking" right past the toll booth. Oh yes, Don and I are such hard core criminals.

We were assessed with a 52 dollar fine.

"Alright" I thought. "This really sucks, and I would love to scream at somebody about how MEAN and UNFAIR it is". I knew though, that it would be best to just cut a check and mail it off as soon as possible.

I had every intention of doing just that too. Then I make the mistake of showing it to Don.

He was even more offended by it than me.

The problem though, was that he told me NOT to pay it just yet. He wanted to mitigate in the hopes that it would be thrown out or at least reduced. I told him it was only 52 dollars and it would be better to just pay the stupid thing so we wouldn't need to worry about it.

But no. As far as Don was concerned his pride couldn't let him just cave in, he wanted to fight.

Weird.

Usually I'm the aggressive one in the relationship.

So very reluctantly, I let it go. I was uneasy about the whole business though. I am almost always the one who handles these kinds of sordid little affairs.

But, Don wanted to handle it so I let him handle it.

I couldn't stop myself though, from asking him every other day if he had taken care of our little problem. "No." "Not yet." "But don't WORRY."
" I'm going to take care of it. "

Did I mention that the deadline was April 19th and that the 19th was coming closer and closer? Well it was. I thought about just paying the dumb thing and getting it over with. I should have, I should have, I SHOULD have.

. . . . . . . .To be continued. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

12 comments:

Amanda said...

It will be very interesting to hear how Don handles this!
My FIL got a parking ticket a couple of weeks ago ~ even though the parking machine wasn't working and wouldn't accept his money!

I feel your anger and frustration!

Amanda x

Alicia said...

You can't just leave me hanging like that!!! I cross that bridge on a regular basis, as my in-laws live on the other side. I'm sorry you have to deal with all this!

Jeanette said...

I am anxiously waiting to hear how it turns out.

I got a card in the mail saying I had a parking ticket in Dallas. I thought it was a joke because the date of the ticket was days after my daughter was born and she was still in the hospital and there was no way I was anywhere close to Dallas...come to find out, the ticket was real and I have never paid it and with the fines the bill is enormous. Now, there is a warrant out for me in Dallas. I just hope my hubby doesn't get offered a job in Dallas because I'm not going there anytime soon.

Stephanie said...

oh ,oh,oh, I hate tickets. I only have received one in my driving career. Oh I am a worrier. I would not do well with passing a deadline.

Heidi D said...

I have no words. None that you would want to hear that is. :)

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I drove over the bridge on Saturday, returning the Beloved Elder Cram to his ward in Gig Harbor...

If you don't have one of the transponder stickers on your windshield, you just stay to the right, and go through the toll plaza. They take cash, they take cards, and they do it really quickly.

I'm sorry you guys got that ticket though.. I really am.

KaTrina said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry :(

dani said...

i started reading this last night, suz, but was called away from my computer before i got very far... i hope when i hit refresh, i get instant gratification, as this sounds like a doosie of a story;P
love you,
dani xxx

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Hey Sue, just a fair warning... The 520 bridge that connects Bellevue to Seattle is getting revamped, and will become a toll bridge soon. Pretty soon you won't be safe from fines anywhere on the wet side!!

Although one of the big stories this morning is that the governor is considering a bill that would allow a grace period for skipped tolls like you...

News Story

Anonymous said...

I got one on my birthday. When he handed me back my licence, he said, "by the way, happy birthday." RUDE!

Post again soon, PLEASE!

Jennybell said...

I'm with Don, I say just send them a check for what ever the toll was + the cost of the stamp for the letter they sent.

David said...

that really stinks. once i was driving through oklahoma, and my road atlas didn't tell me that the highway i was coming up to was Toll! that caught be by surprise, having to cough up a bunch of money. if i'd have known, i would have gone another way.

yeah, just mail them the amount of the toll, not the 52.