Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sometimes it's good to be wrong

I've been an American Idol fan for, I think, the last four years. I had watched parts of the seasons before then but I never really got into it.

And then last year it was announced that Simon would be leaving the show.

Which means that Randy Jackson would be the only original judge left. I figured that the show would perhaps stagger through one more season as it gave into a slow, agonizing, when will they put it out of it's misery, death.
I definitely wasn't going to give it the honor of my viewership.

My how things can change.

Due to the fact that there are so few shows on that I want to watch anymore, I decided to tune in at least once to see how much of a travesty it had become. And guess what? I LIKED IT! Even though I've always been an Aerosmith fan, I didn't really have much exposure to Steven Tyler as a person. I always thought of him as a typical, egocentric, slightly sleazy, rock star who had only one thing on his mind. (Besides music that is)

I can't believe how completely wrong I was.

He is strong, caring, motivational, even, dare I say, paternal. He speaks his mind, letting those without a shred of talent know that they better have a good day job, without resorting to mean and nasty. As for those who have true talent, whether polished or diamond in the rough, he is very helpful and supportive.

Why on earth did I ever think that Simon had it right?

And then there is Jennifer Lopez. I've always liked her. And in this platform I absolutely LOVE her. She is every bit as kind and encouraging as Paula ever was, but in a more realistic way. She doesn't have Paula's "Flake Factor". She comes across as a really sweet, cool, nurturing, big sister.

All together, I feel that the show has a brand new energy, and promise.

It certainly doesn't feel old and stale anymore.

I also think that there are some really talented contestants as well. Hopefully they will be winnowed down appropriately this year. One in particular that I want to see shown the door, is this kid, with a deep baritone voice named Scotty (the kid not the voice) who has apparently perfected his imitation of Country singer Josh Turner's song "Be Your Man".

(I swear, if I have to hear. . . Baby lock the door and turn the lights down low, one more time.)

Talk about your One Trick Pony.

All in all though, I am so enjoying this season of American Idol. I hope that if any of you who used to watch the show but have given up on it due to the various lame strategies it has employed over the last few seasons, will give it another watch.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

7 comments:

NormalToEatPB said...

i used to watch idol in the first couple of seasons, but i never like to watch shows that are so popular with the masses - it makes me feel common :) so they lost me after the third season - good job carrying my torch and continuing the idol journey for me lol!

dswillis said...

I watched a little of Idol tonight. I think your right. It might just be worth watching.

Debie Spurgeon said...

We are HUGE A.I fans at this house. I absolutely love the new panel of judges. The show has taken a fantastic leap sky high.

Lisa Christine said...

Argghh....I didn't watch again tonight. By the time we left your house...and stopped by the pharmacy...and got the children ready for bed...and read bedtime stories...and I soaked in the bath....and then came here....it was suddenly 9:30.

Perhaps tomorrow night!

Alicia said...

I can't say that I've ever watched american idol...ever, not even one episode. I guess I don't know what I'm missing out on.

Kristen said...

I haven't watched for years.

David said...

you don't like scotty? it's hilarious how he always sings the same song...

i'm sorry that they cut jacee...

have you noticed how steven tyler always checks out the girls? when they walk in the room or onstage his eyes always move down, checking them out lol