Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What goes around comes around. . Sometimes

Hi Folks! I know I should sit myself down and churn out a nice new post for my faithful readers. But I honestly seem to have hit a dry spell. So, I thought to myself;
"Self, what's the point of having all those old posts that you spent hours on if you can recycle one of them now and then."
I decided to go through my circa 2009 blog files looking for a post that got a lot of comments. This one fit the bill. So yes it is a re-run. But if you weren't with me in 2009, it could be new to you.

Anyway, I enjoyed reading it again. Can anybody ever really get enough of news that is as true as it is stupid?
So here you are. A nice, thought provoking, semi-old, (but still fairly fresh) post.

Enjoy!

Today in the paper, I read a story, about a Funeral Home being shut down because an employee had to cut a dead guy's legs off to get him to fit in the coffin his family had bought for him.

Now I realize that to the average Joe this might come across as a little gruesome. The problem wasn't so much that he had cut the guy's legs off, it was that he hadn't gotten the family's permission to do it.

Here's the thing.

The dead guy was 6 foot 7. I think we can all agree that he was quite tall.
So why on earth would the family have thought they could go the cheap route with a standard size casket if they

A. Knew he would be too long for it. And. .

B. Didn't realize that the only way to squish him in there, would have been to cut either some off his top or his bottom.

I think the dead guy's family would have REALLY blown their tops if funeral boy, had gone with the head and neck instead of the legs and feet.

And amid all of this I just can't help but wonder,Who Cares Anyway!?!

Well, apparently the State of South Carolina does. The Funeral Home has been shut down. Not necessarily because they cut off the guy's legs, but that they did it without his family's permission!

That's right.

The same family that didn't even think to ask if a 6 foot 7 inch tall man would actually fit into a standard size casket.
Which, by the way, happens to be 84 inches long.

That's true.

I did research.

Okay, if this is all that had happened it would be a semi-funny, but kinda creepy, typical news story.
But wait, there was more.
It appears that in the State of South Carolina it is against the law to cut up a corpse.
That is of course unless the family has actually agreed to it. If there is consent then they can cut the dead to fit in whatever casket they want to use.

I assume that means within reason.

I doubt if it would be allowed to cut someone in half so that they could fit into that pretty little (and slightly cheaper) casket meant for a ten year old.
Alright, so we now know that cutting a dead person up without permission
is a crime in SC.

But here comes the really ridiculous part.

The standard sentence for the guilty chopper is ten years. Ten Years!
Can you believe that?
There could possibly be someone in South Carolina's State Pen who's "crime" was cutting a few inches off a corpse to make him fit in the casket the family had bought for him.

I can't believe that, with all the talk nowadays, about overcrowded prisons, that the courts would actually be stupid enough to use up a cell for some poor schlump who was only doing his job the way he thought best.

Granted ,the article did say that cutting up a corpse was the crime.

So I guess they could also be referring to the serial killer who's freezer is chock full of frozen fillet of human.
I guess it might be meant to cover more heinous crimes like that.

But I still think it's pretty stupid.

If someone has been caught with a chain saw and a bunch of fresh human parts, then I think it's pretty clear that what they have here is a really, bad, guy.
He should be facing the death penalty or at least the rest of his life in prison.
And the fact that he took his jollies in cutting up what he had just killed?

Well sure, I guess. Go ahead and tack on ten more years to his sentence.

But, if it happens to be some unlicensed Funeral Home worker, who forgot to ask the grieving family for their permission to make sure that Grandpa fits nicely in his too small coffin?

For heaven's sake.
Fine the guy a few hundred and get on with it.

Save that prison cell for someone who really deserves it.

5 comments:

NormalToEatPB said...

Thanks for inadvertently supporting cremation! :) That's what I'm going with!

Lisa said...

LOL. This was a great post! I do think it's silly. and I guess the right thing to do would have been to call the family and say "do you realize I need to.... and is that okay?"

But I'm with you. Fine. Letter of apology to the family and yes, get over it.

Silly South Cakalakians. (yes, that's what we really call them in my family).

Haphazardkat said...

UGH!! I agree--10 years is ridiculous...and UGH at the family buying a tiny childs size coffin for their loved one.

The whole thought of burial totally creeps me out.

David said...

a dry spell? i thought you said you could never run out of things to say!

SuzanSayz said...

Yeah, I know. Go figure?!?