Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Movie Day: A Shawn Post

I mentioned that I may run a few of my favorite older posts. I hope you don't mind, I really enjoy revisiting some of my good times. And this one about Shawn always makes me smile. I can't believe it's from Sept of 09.

My how time flies.

Go ahead and leave your 6 numbers for my 1 to 150 contest. If you aren't sure what I'm talking about then scroll down to my previous posts.
Good luck and happy number guessing to all!

P.S.I have no idea how to get rid of the original comments, but then I guess that's not too big a deal. Go ahead and leave your number guesses, and any comments below the original ones.




I would like to inform everyone, that yesterday, the Sorensons did their part to keep the film industry alive and healthy.


Since Shawn has a problem with boredom on the days when there are no ARC activities, I try to take him to the movies at least twice a month. Sometimes even once a week.

Shawn loves movies.

In a big way TV and Movies are a bit like a playmate for him.

Let me explain.

Shawn has never just sat in front of a TV with a blank stare on his face. He follows the "full action and vocal" method of TV (and when possible Movie) viewing.

Shawn thinks that Movies and TV were meant to be an interactive experience.

He talks along with the dialogue. He punches when punches are thrown. He shoots when they shoot. And quite often is so overcome with excitement that all he can do is rub his hands together and laugh.

My other kids have always found it a little hard to enjoy TV and Movie viewing with Shawn.

Because of this Shawn has learned that he can be quiet (quiet by Shawn standards that is) through even the funniest or most action packed scene.

He can do it, but he sure would rather not have to.

Okay, this is where this gets really good.

Shawn and I have planned for at least two months to go see, "G-Force".
There were a few films that we had to see first.

Time out;

One of them "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" scared the juice out of Shawn. Just a little info in case you're wondering if you should take your younger children to see it.

Time in;

So, like I said, there were other movies that we wanted to see, causing G-Force, to get pushed to the back of the line. It was no big deal, I like to take Shawn to films after they have been out a while.

And always to the Matinee.

That way we can almost always watch our movie in an almost empty theater.

Well, without thinking, I must have somehow made an offering to the Theater Gods, because the room for G-Force in 2-D was completely EMPTY!

I was so pleased.

Let me explain the appeal of an empty theater. (Even though it's probably obvious.)

In an empty theater, where Shawn and I are the only people there, I don't have to tell him to remember to not make too much noise.

I'm always a little sad to have to censor him, but it's not fair to the rest of the audience if Shawn is allowed to watch a movie his way.

That is why yesterday's movie was so wonderful.

Shawn didn't even wait for the previews, he started talking along with the commercials. He didn't really seem to be watching for me to shush him but I know that he was.

Commercials:

Talk,
ask mom a question, (Shawn's questions are almost always rhetorical)
laugh a bit,
one more (rhetorical) question.

Previews:
Talk,
laugh,
question,
two more questions,
talk,
more talking,
laugh,
laugh,
laugh.
with lots of happy hand rubbing.

Hmm, mom hasn't said one thing so far.

Talking gets just a little more loud and animated.

Hmm, still nothing from mom but a smile.
This can only mean one thing.

I am going to have one heck of a good time!

And, boy did he ever.

You would have thought it was the second or third time he had seen G-Force.
He followed every line.
He jumped, he punched, he laughed and laughed.
I know for a fact that in Shawn's mind he was an integral part of that movie.
Out of habit, there were a few times when I had to catch myself, from telling him to be quiet.

I was good.

I didn't shush him even once. It wasn't really that hard anyway. Over the years I've pretty much learned to tune it out.

I think that yesterday's screening of G-Force, was one of the best times he has had at the movies in years.

Oh, and a quick little review;
It was absolutely wonderful.
Jerry Bruckheimer and Disney at their best!
I highly recommend it to all ages, it was so darn cute.

Part 2:


Fresh off my "Shawn-Movie" high, I come home and find Kelly up at the computer.
He wanted to know if I would like to go with him that evening to see,
Quentin Tarantino's "Inglorious Basterds".

His treat.

Of course I said yes.
I have been really wanting to see it. My older sons, Donald and Kelly, had both seen it and told me how much they loved it.

I was interested from the first commercial for it.

We went to the 7:00 showing.
I splurged and got popcorn.
Extra Butter.

My opinion?

I LOVED IT!!!!!

It was one of the best films I've ever seen. If it doesn't win a best picture Oscar for Tarantino, it will be a crime.
I highly, HIGHLY, recommend it to everybody.

Well everyone except for my DIL Lisa.
She wouldn't have enjoyed it. She's a little squeamish about things like, scalping Nazi soldiers, or blowing some guys family jewels to Kingdom Come.
But for anyone who wouldn't mind watching those evil Nazis get what they have coming to them, all I can say is GO!

I can't remember the last time I saw two movies in one day. Especially two, such different types of films.

It was a good day for me. A super good day for Shawn. And a very satisfying day for Kelly.

We went, we saw, we smiled.

And everyone went home happy!

20 comments:

Kelly said...

And I get to be the first to say I was the first to be surprised that you loved the movie. I can't for Sunday dinner when you Donald and I can go over our favorite parts of the movie.

Heidi D said...

I'm surprised as well. I thought for sure you wouldn't like it.

Stephanie said...

Hip hooray for a great day!

SuzanSayz said...

Oh my silly children. I thought you knew me better than that.

Jennybell said...

Isaiah liked G Force too. He can watch a movie once and have lines memorized!
I wondered about the Inglorious Basterds. I hate Terrantino movies. I totally don't get them.
OH I keep forgetting to email you but I got the CD a while ago and love it. I love the song Grace Kelly and Naomi loves Hot and Cold. I thought she was asleep in the back seat and all of a sudden that song came on she raised up her head and started rockin side to side.

Josephine said...

This post put a smile on my face! I loved hearing about Shawn's movie viewing experience!! He must have thought he had died and gone to heaven when you didn't shush him even once!!!! That's great!
Avery is a very enthusiastic movie watcher too - sometimes I'm surprised her voice isn't hoarse by the end of it, and she must exhaust herself with all the hand flapping that she does!! I think she's calmed down a bit with it recently, but she does have an excellent memory for movies she loves. Today on the way home from Sam's club she said "I'll have a fuzzy navel...and fuzzy navels for all my friends!!!" Made me laugh so hard! Can you guess the movie? :)

Lisa Christine said...

Definitely

NAMFL!

But glad you had a lovely day.

I am so happy you stopped by today.

I always love it when you stop by.

libbie said...

I think it would be VERY entertaining to go to a movie with Shawn!

Alicia said...

I loved your descriptions of Shawn during the movie. What a fortunate day for both of you!

Jeanette said...

I love how you describe Shawn at the movies. I can imagine it. I'm glad y'all liked G-Force.

I would be like Lisa-too squimish to see the other movie. I can listen to those movies while my husband watches them, but that would waste a perfectly good movie/date night. ;)

dani said...

what a gift for shawn, suz!!! i would have loved to have been a fly on the wall... as i love watching people experience true joy:)

and...

bonus deluxe!!! how awesome for you that you had the opportunity to spend the day with your boys and be gifted with 2 great films. i cannot wait to see ib!!!

have a great weekend, friend:)

much love,
dani xxx

Anonymous said...

the prodical daughter returns!(that's me, not you.)
how are you? i've missed your awesome posts.

David said...

i like how "basterds" is spelled wrong so i don't have to feel like i have a potty mouth when i say it, because it isnt the actual word!! :)

and jerry bruckheimer is the man!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry, that I interfere, would like to offer other decision.

David said...

oh good, i have time to get in today's guesses, and then in 3 hours it will be tomorrow and i can guess again!

58,59,60,61,62,63

dswillis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dswillis said...

14,25,37,54,135,111
bonus
42,91,121,77,85,106

Lisa said...

Okay, with these on different threads, it's going to be harder to see what's been guessed.

...hang on...

there, i've devised a plan and HERE are today's guesses. Happy Wednesday from the Frozen South!

17, 27, 83, 99, 123, 141


(word verification: chear -- maybe that's a sign I should CHEER because I just won!?!?)

David said...

124,125,126,127,128,129

Kristen said...

What a fun recap of your theater day to read! I can't believe you've been away from blogging for so long. Your writings are always so enjoyable to read and flow together so well.

So is Shawn just exhausted by the end of a movie...from all the talking, hand movements, and interaction he does throughout it? I was thinking I would need a nap.