Sunday, January 30, 2011

How about that Weather?

What is it about the weather that makes it such a universal topic of small talk?

Ya know?

Small Talk?

That little sub-category of conversation that is usually employed in situations where you,
A. Don't know someone.
B. Don't particularly like someone, but still find it necessary to make polite conversation.
or
C. Know someone. Like them. But for matters too varied to count, find yourself at a loss as to just what to talk about with them.

It's times like these that makes the subject of "Weather" such a vital component of conversational dexterity.

The beauty of "Weather Talk" (hereafter referred to as WT) is that it is not only always relevant, but in many cases an important and even interesting topic of "safe" conversation.

WT, is more than suitable for those times when anything is better than that uncomfortable, awkward, stony silence that seems to creep up on you in moments of social clumsiness.
If I had my way, WT would be thought of as more than just a device of last resort.

No, no, no.

Talking about the Weather is much safer than trying to casually discuss things as varied as,

oh. . . .

say. . . .

Politics. .

Religion. .

Proper methods of Toilet Training. .

Vegetarian versus Carnivore. .

or that dreaded conversational Black Hole. . . . . . .


Whether or not you approved of the final episode of ABC's Lost.


I used to be almost embarrassed if I caught myself bring up the weather when talking to friends. But I decided a few years ago that most people really do care about what is happening,

Right outside their door.

WT, also seems to be one topic where you don't have to agree with each other to have a pleasant little chat. I think it's because weather is just one of those things in life that no one takes personally.

Take me for instance.

I have made it known a few times that I HATE Snow.
I do.
I will go so far as to say that I don't even really ever wish for a
White Christmas.
I can think of a lot of things that I would love for Christmas and Snow is not one of them.
I know that I am most likely alone in my rigid opinions on snow.

But guess what?

It's okay.

It's okay, because nobody can really blame me if they do or don't have a White Christmas. Now can they?

Oh come ON!

You know perfectly well that my opinions on snow have absolutely NO effect on your enjoyment of Winter time festivities.

And that, in a nutshell, is why WT is a perfect topic for anyone, not quite sure how to proceed, in an uncomfortable, grasping for something to say (anything) type of situation.

So don't be embarrassed if you find yourself falling back on WT, while talking to your eighth grade math teacher that you just happened to run into in the "Bra and Pantie" section of your local J.C. Penneys.

It's fine. Just fine.

Chat about those drab grey skies that have been sticking around long after Al Roker declared them obsolete.
Laugh about the rainfall amount and how it will affect this years asparagus crop.
Debate, back and forth on whether this year's Spring seems to be taking longer to show up than last years.

It's all good. There really is no wrong way to talk about the weather. It affect us all.

In fact I feel I can safely say that tomorrow in just about every

Kindergarten Class

in this great nation of ours, little Brook, or Hunter, will be asked to come up to the flannel board and put the picture of Mr Sun, Mr Rain, Mr Wind or Mr Fog up for all the class to see.

You see? This fascination with the weather really does start early. So, if you want to use it as fodder for your next unplanned and slightly uncomfortable bumping into your kid's best friend's mom, go right ahead and do it.

There are a lot worse things you could do than point out just how awful (or great) the weather has been of late.

6 comments:

dswillis said...

Weather is the major topic here. a blizzard is expected Tuesday into Wednesday. I just want them to call off work for Dave and stay home safe and sound.

I am with you regarding snow. I could live without it even on Christmas. In fact my favorite Christmas was sitting on the beach in Nuevo Vallarta.

Lisa said...

It's the weather frog over here, and yes indeed, they do it every day. We had a beautiful, sunny, upper 60s all weekend and now it's 50 and raining.

As for snow, I need it once a year. Having it on Christmas was nice because it only lasted a few days and we were all already home. But that week of ice only 2 weeks later. No way man.

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

I love weather too and will discuss it anytime with you... I prefer the sunny kind though :)

Debie Spurgeon said...

I find the weather interesting to talk about and checking the temp. is one of the first things my kids do in the morning, so I suppose it runs in the family.

Jeanette said...

Weather here is so unpredictable. Yesterday it was in the 60s and raining, today in the upper 70s and sunny, Wednesday we are expecting freezing temps and the highs in the 40s. My daughter hopes it snows. I hope she isn't too set on that because we are in Houston after all.

I lived in Utah and Buffalo NY and I have had my share of snow. I am fine without it. In fact, I won't decorate with snowmen during winter. We rarely get snow here. Why pretend?

Weather talk is the only talk I dare venture with my in laws. I'm grateful for weather talk when around them. :)

Marilyn said...

Just wanted to drop in to let you know I'm reading. I love your posts. They make me smile.

I LOVE talking about the weather.
Almost as much as I love talking about music :)