Thursday, January 13, 2011

Glorious Beautiful Day

I think I speak for most of my fellow Americans when I say that I am so damn sick of Winter and nasty

COLD, WET, WINDY, SNOWY, ICY, STORMY, and just plain awful miserable weather.

I realize there are those who might take exception with my including snow in with the rest of those atmospheric hooligans, but it's my blog and I (with very few exceptions)
HATE snow.

So imagine my delight yesterday upon awakening to freshly fallen snow (no, this isn't the part that made me happy) And turning my TV to the local NBC station to have myself a quick little check of the "daily and weekly weather at a glance."

There was the day's local Weather Person, (I can't even tell you if it was a man or woman they switch those weather people every other week it seems) Showing the next several day's forecast and right there under Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, (you get the idea) were these beautiful numbers.

45 47 46 48 49

Do you see why I was so happy?!?!

Of course, I didn't let myself get too excited. The day last week, when all of the various business's courtesy, electronic, display boards were showing temperatures between 40 to 46 degrees it was so windy and nasty that I'm sure in reality it was far closer to the previous week's horrible 20 degrees and below.

So yes, I did start out today with a healthy dose of trepidation.

But then I took my granddaughter Abbey to school at 7:32. As the garage door opened and I braced myself for the cold wind I was sure would be whipping in as the door slowly raised, I was pleasantly surprised to realize that it was barely even nippy.

I came home.

I watched a little bit of the Today Show.

I was really late getting my shower due to some personal, family type, business that needed dealing with.

I turned the little space heater in my bedroom on and then not even three minutes later turned it right back off because I was getting too HOT!

Oh blessed day. Could it be? Were the good people of the Tri-Cities (Washington) really going to be treated to a beautiful, dare I say, Springlike day in not even quite the middle of January?

The answer turned out to be a resounding

YES!

YES!!!

YES!!!!

What to wear, what to wear???

I don't know about other parts of this great country of ours but it seems like the times here in good old Eastern Washington when you can wear whatever you want and don't have to worry about being either too hot or too cold, well to me at least,

those types of days seem pretty darn rare.

I love clothes. I have a lot of clothes. Sadly, I have quite a few clothes that I like to think of as my Medium clothes.

You know, like long to mid-length sleeved T-shirt type tops that are not warm enough for really cold days but too dang warm for nice and warm days.

And then my jackets.

I LOVE jackets. I have lots and lots of really super cute jackets. When I was buying every cute jacket I could get my hands on it kind of slipped my mind just how often I would actually be able to wear them.

Because really, in reality, (trust me on this) I have done the math. And counting the few weeks of true Autumn weather we have, you know those days where the temperature hovers between oh, say, maybe 48 to 75 or so, (with a minimum of wind of course) and then the little bit of REAL Spring we get with roughly those same parameters.

Let's just say that here in my neck of the woods. We don't have nearly enough Medium Weather Days.

So, to make what has turned out to be a pretty long story, short.

Today was absolutely FABULOUS!!!

In fact as far as previous January thirteenths here in Kennewick goes, I would have to give today,

Two Big Fat THUMBS UP!!!

I give it an 8!!

Yes I know. I almost went with the more predictable 10, but I do want to give the weather a little bit of an incentive after all.

And I think it just might rise up to the challenge.

Tomorrow has been slated to be as fine as today.

Oh, I hope, I hope, I hope!!!!!

And if, by some poor chance of unforeseen boondoggery, tomorrow turns out to be a sad follow up to today's glorious example. . . .

Oh well. I can take it. I'll simply have to remember anew (with a minimum of hard feelings) just how great today was.


So tell me,




How's the Weather outside YOUR door?

4 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

First!!!!!!!

Ha! Ha! David!!! Take that!!!

Yes, the day was delightful. The sad thing was, I didn't leave the house until almost 2:00 and I didn't even know it was nice until then! What a waste of a nice day, I say.

Oh well.

It did leave me great hope in the Spring that awaits us in a few monts!

dswillis said...

I sure hope your warmer weather makes it all the way to Illinois. It is in the 20's with snow for the next few days. I wish I could afford to live in the Florida or Arizona for the winter. I do not care for winter one bit.

Lisa said...

We are STILL completely white DOWN here. Well, i take that back. I got up to 30 yesterday and was sunny, so the roads (without shade) are finally melting. And I woke up this morning to a big fat ELEVEN! That's right. Eleven degrees!! Ugh. But, Gymnastics is open, we're going, and they promise me it's going to be 40 degrees today to melt some of this luxurious winter wonderland. And, if that's true, it will be back to work tmorrow.

Jeanette said...

Here in Houston, it was a high of 50 and a low of 47. That is cold for us. We have generally mild winters, but pay for it with HOT and HUMID summer that lasts for 6 months. I am glad you enjoyed the weather.