Tuesday, July 1, 2008

NO SALE!!!!!!!

The other day Courtney and I were going somewhere, I can't remember what we were doing, but we were together long enough to have a real conversation. Anyway somehow, (again amnesia strikes) I have no idea how this came up, other than the fact that her brain works just like mine.

That means jumping from one thought to a new completely unrelated topic before the first line of thinking is even a minute old.

This is all a very long involved way of getting to my point I know. So Courtney asks me (completely OUT of the blue). Mom would you eat a slug for a million dollars?

BACKGROUND ;

I grew up in the south end of the Seattle area. Now as everyone knows Seattle is known for it's wetness. Also one other thing about Seattle and surrounding areas, they don't have stickers growing around waiting to snag innocent people who for personal reasons, known only to them, prefer to walk around barefoot in the Summertime.

That would be me.

Yes folks I do like to be barefoot. My DIL Lisa, well I just don't think she is mentally capable of seeing how barefoot could ever be an acceptable or even preferred means of footwear. Oh quibble, quibble, quibble, I guess that would be LACK of footwear. Just ask her number two child though, my little three year old granddaughter Lorelai. Now Lorelai (much to Lisa's distress) follows right in dear old grandma's bare footsteps.

She loves a naked foot as much as I do.

Alright back on track. I can never be accused of not giving sufficient background.

So, flash back about thirty seven or so years to Seattle in the summer. When I was outside I was usually barefoot. There were no stickers to worry about like in the Tri-Cities. So if I couldn't be there, ( that would be the Tri-Cities my favorite summer destination) at least I could take advantage of the one thing the Seattle area had over the Tri-City area and that was going barefoot. Yes, yes there were no stickers. But, and this is a pretty big BUT. What we didn't have in stickers was very generously made up for in SLUGS!!!!!!

That's right, BIG FAT SLUGS !!!!!!!!!

If you live here in the Tri-Cities, or anywhere else that may have a mild form of slugdom, please don't think "Oh slugs we have slugs, what's the big deal?" I will tell you what the big DEAL is.

In Seattle slugs are everywhere. You go out into your nice grassy yard in the morning and what do you do? You play a forced game of Dodge-a-Slug is what you do. Now sometimes you will go out with a loaded salt shaker and have fun seeing all those abominations of nature, wither, foam up (yes that's true, they really, really foam up) gyrate and eventually become dead shriveled up piles of dead slug.

Not pretty I know but there is something so satisfying in this kind of revenge

Seattle has not just 2 inch, skinny, little, brown slugs. Oh NO. They have Huge brown slugs like try 6 inches long with a circumference of probably 3 inches. I kid you not. But the worst, absolutely the most obnoxious and greatly feared slug of all is the dreaded,

BANANA SLUG!!!!!!!!!

You simply have to see these monstrosities to believe them. They are the WHALES of the slug world. I have seen a 10 inch banana slug. And trust me it was just as awful as it sounds. But the very worst thing about slugs, even worse than leaving a shoe out by the swing-set and finding three brown slugs and one banana slug in them the next morning (this actually happened to my little sister Linda). Yes that would be awful. But the very worst thing when it came to slugs, was actually STEPPING on one (accidentally of course, though I guess that didn't need to be pointed out now did it?)

In my life I have accidentally stepped on a slug with bare feet exactly THREE TIMES.

Shall I describe it for You? Your foot goes down and all of a sudden you feel this warm squishy oozy feeling under your foot. It slowly starts to come up through your toes. But wait. It gets worse. You try to lift your foot to see what on earth you just stepped on. Of course in the back of your mind you know it's a slug, but it could possibly be something much less noxious, like say DOG POOP!!!! All of a sudden your foot meets resistance. It does not want to leave the ground. You tug at it and it finally bit by slimy bit, you peel it off the ground.

Oh yes you are the new proud owner of a SLUGFOOT!

Now of course you want this evil crap off your foot yesterday. Good luck with that. A little known fact is that a squished slug is one of the stickiest substances on earth. I wouldn't be surprised to find it as the main ingredient in some new brand of super, super glue. The only way to get dead squished slug off your foot is to scrape and wash and scrub and scrape some more. You practically have to take off the first layer of skin. And that's okay because that squished slug has pretty much become one with your first layer of skin.

Now the purpose of all this slug knowledge,( and yes I do understand if you had to leave at some point to throw up) is so you will understand the way I feel about slugs. My kids have all been regaled with my slug stories, so they know that slugs are one of the things I find most repulsive in this world.

So when Courtney asked me her million dollar slug question you now know how evil she was being.

Of course I immediately assured her (in stronger words than I would feel comfortable using here) that I wouldn't even eat a slug, a RAW slug mind you, for 10 million dollars.
Now is this good enough for my baby girl? Of course not. She knows when she is on a roll. So, she then asks, would you let a slug crawl up your arm all the way to your face for 10 million dollars?

I'm sure you already know my answer to that one.

I quite succinctly informed her that there is not one thing related to slugs that I would do even for 100 million dollars. This may seem a little extreme to you but let me explain my thought process.

There are a few really sick awful things I have done, mostly, accidentally in my life. Things like taking a big drink of milk that I had no idea had gone bad. Or pulling a LONG BLACK HAIR out of my mouth after taking a bite of my enchilada at a Mexican restaurant. You get the point. And that doesn't even include the sick stupid things I may have actually done on purpose.

The point is, these things are stuck in my mind FOREVER!

I may not dwell on them too often but there are some things I don't want anywhere near my memory banks. I already have the three stepping on slugs with bare feet memories to deal with. And millions of dollars, at least in my opinion, is no excuse to add to these memories.

So you know what? Later, when I was alone, with no Courtney to egg me on. I started really thinking of what I would do for, Vast Sums of Fundage.

Ya know what? I couldn't really think of very many. I look at it this way.

I am 51.

I am generally pretty happy.

I have everything I need and a lot of stuff that I want.

I see in the news that people with lots of money are quite often NOT HAPPY AT ALL!

So my conclusion is that, even though I would love to have millions of dollars if it somehow fell into my lap (Realistic expectation? I think not) There is not really anything I would do for that money that I would not normally do anyway. I figure, I have lived this much of my life without that kind of money, so why can't I live the rest of my life without it. In fact I have come up with the things I will do for 10 million dollars. And they are as listed.

I would take an around the world cruise with my whole family with stops at all kinds of interesting places, to also include two weeks at Walt Disney World in Orlando, and at least a month touring Europe.

I would lobby to make things better for retarded and other developmentally disabled people.

I would go on a huge shopping excursion to buy myself and my family whatever they wanted.

I would go to New York and see all of the shows on Broadway that look so fun and also to eat an authentic New York hot dog.

I would even spend the night at the White House ( I know, SHOCKING, DEVIANT, how could she do something like that)

Yes these are things I might consider doing for 10 million dollars, but not a penny less, and of course it would have to all be TAX FREE.

So you see I have discovered something really interesting about myself. (And I sincerely hope it's true and that I'm not just lying to myself)

I AM NOT FOR SALE!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is rather gross, but I have to tell you anyway. My mom and step dad used to live in Monroe and in Edmonds for a while, and when I would visit my sisters and I would go on bike rides and specifically aim for slugs. Gross, I know. Banana Slugs were the best to hit, and worth the most points.

Anonymous said...

I am the one that left said shoe out by the swing set. It was a clog as memory serves. I got really balled out too. Still funny. :)

libbie said...

So GROSS those slugs. My aunt and uncle live in Snohomish, and we had ever so much fun dumping salt on those pesky things. Is that cruel or what? I don't blame you, I would never eat one of those things, not for all the money in the world!

Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. It sure made me feel better!

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Wow Sue, I just wrote a comment that grew into a whole post... so I cut it, and am gonna paste it into my own blog! Nyeah!!

Jan said...

You are so funny Susan. I know about those huge slugs. I saw one on a hike once, and about lost my lunch. I had no idea they could get so big. Glad I was wearing shoes though. I do not want to feel the way you did while stepping on them. Yuck.

I think it is so interesting that you would want to spend the night in the White House. Do you have a specific room in mind? Do share.

I think it is great that you are not for sale. That is so unpolitical in thinking. Everyone has a price it seems like anymore. Good lesson here.

Have a great day and keep your shoes off.

Alicia said...

My dad has a game called slug ball. He gets a pointy stick, impales the slug, tosses it up just enough to be airborne, and then swings at it like the stick is a baseball bat. This was one of the silliest things growing up, and perhaps a more humane way to get rid of pesky slugs in the yard. Love your post by the way, and I'm excited that you will be having a western washington 4th of July...slugs and all!

Debie Spurgeon said...

You've got standards and you're sticking to them, good for you. I can't answer that question for myself though, I'd like to think I could do it for that much cash, but I don't think I've ever seen a banana slug.

I'm not a bare foot lover, I actually have flip flops that I wear around the house because they are so much more comfortable than bare feet.

You keep me smiling.

The Donald said...

One of my fondest memories of your house in Des Moines was helping Brian shoot slugs with his slingshot. Among other things.(such as the 4 sale sign that hung in the front yard...in fact that was the same trip as power barf/concussion #1.)

Stephanie said...

Well I too can do without the slugs . But what wise woman you are. Money will not bring true happiness. Just think how young you are to have learned such an important lesson. I now know I am one year older than you are. Too bad you don't live in the midwest. I know we would have tons of fun together.
p.s. I am a barefoot girl too.

Lisa Christine said...

Barefoot....oh yuck.

I guess the good news for me is that I will NEVER run the risk of stepping on a slug!

I'm with Debie....I don't usually like walking around the house barefoot. I love having on a cozy pair of slippers or a tight, freshly laundered pair of socks. Comfort at it's finest!

All in all, this was a fabulous post (minus the descriptions of walking around with a nude foot). I love your final line "I am NOT for sale". And here is the best part....I know you mean it. You would never give into something that you don't want to do. You have a strong sense of self. One of the things that I love about you.

I'm looking forward to this weekend. You'll have to show me these huge banana slugs. I don't think that I have had the 'pleasure' of ever seeing one.

Anonymous said...

Between Jan (with her maple bars) and you with the slug stories I'm feeling all nostalgic for dear old Battle Ground, WA.

Oh, I so remember the banana slugs. I haven't thought of them in 10 years or so. I forgot about the feel of them squished between my toes. Maybe I'm blocking out the memories! And the salt.....I forgot about the salt. So gross and fun at the same time.

We have other gross things here in TX, but at least our slugs are small, black, and not at all slimy.

Mitchellaus Copernicus said...

Man, I would pretty much do anything. In fact, most things, I would do for free as long as there was an audience.

dani said...

suz...
i didn't know there was such a creature as a slug as big as you described!!! ugh!!!
i've never seen one here in ky over 2 in long and about as big around as a pencil... i don't even want one that size squishing between my toes!!! just the thought is causing my gag-reflex to... well... FLEX!!!
love,
dani

Jeanette said...

No sale for me either. Bugs are gross. I guess I'm too much of a girlie girl.

KaTrina said...

The one thing I don't miss about the west side of Washington is the slugs...yuck yuck yuck, they were HUGE