Monday, March 2, 2009

Grateful

Lisa (my daughter-in-law) and I were talking today when I went to the Hospital to pick up Lorelai so she could have a grandma day. She was being so good while she was there keeping watch over her baby sister Elisabeth, so it was decided she needed some special, all to herself with grandma time.

Well, almost all to herself.

Shawn was with us but Shawn's nieces all love him and he loves them so Lori was cool with it being her grandma and uncle Shawn time.

Anyway, as I said earlier Lisa and I were talking. She and Donald (my son) were both at the hospital watching over and generally being there for sick baby girl.

We were having a rather lighthearted conversation. Nothing unusual there, Lisa and I click with each other so well that we always enjoy a bit of downtime to just talk and laugh and enjoy ourselves.

In the middle of this Lisa said something to the tune of, "do you think that people would think it was terrible that here we are with our baby girl very sick in the hospital, and instead of feeling horrified and sad we are instead having a fun time?"

I told her that I was sure people would understand and be happy to hear that we were able to find joy in this unhappiest of times.

She agreed with me. For the most part we are just plain happy people.
As long as we have each other, and that includes those dear family members that don't live here in the Tri-Cities with us. Jeff, Heidi, and my grandaughters Abbey and Lindsay.

We love you all so very much.

And we are so lucky in that we DO have each other.

Another thing that I have just recently thought of, is that there are so many people right now praying for Elisabeth and for Donald and Lisa. So many people who have shown so much love and concern for our family as a whole.

Those prayers must be working because we don't feel too scared or worried.

Notice I said "too".

Because at a time like this when Elisabeth, is doing poorly and there are so many issues that still seem to be up in the air, of course we are worried, of course we have that small fear in the back of our minds, that things could go terribly wrong for our little Lizzy.

Another thing that Lisa and I talked about was that she couldn't believe how many people have been to her blog in the last few days. She has a very popular site and she is used to the normal heavy traffic she gets but since Saturday, she has gotten double to triple the interest. We know that there is only one reason for this.

There are so many people who care about Elisabeth.

Local friends and family who have helped out, and friends that none of us have ever met in person, who let her know in so many ways how much they care.

It's good to know that if Lisa gets a little silly, by showing a picture of Lizzy's big glowing toe and likening it to ET, that no one will think that she isn't being as sober as she should be.

I reminded her of what it is that we are really doing.

We are COPING.

In our family we cope by having fun. By talking about silly things. By talking about the latest crazy post from Lisa's brother David, on his month old blog.

We laugh together, and when it is appropriate we also cry together.
The one thing we never do, and that we will never do, is to stop relying on each other. What happens to one of us happens to us all.

The thing about this that stands out to me, is that we are not unique. We don't live in a vacuum. I know that throughout this great land, and in every other nick and crannie of the world. That you will find families. Big or small, spread out, or living within minutes of each other.

I love my family. I appreciate each one of them.

And I hope that there isn't a single person reading this that can't relate to what I'm saying here.
I include the people who may not have any actual blood related family, but have formed families of dear friends who consider themselves family just the same.

Well, I don't want to be too melodramatic.

We like to leave that little duty to Alexandra.

So please just know that we are so happy for the love that has been shown to us at this time and we will do the same for you, if it's ever needed.

13 comments:

bensfm said...

Sometimes the ONLY way to get through a serious situation is to find the humor that you can! I'm glad Lisa has you to turn to when Donald has to be other places. You guys are good for each other!

Stephanie said...

you are all angels one and all.
Keep on laughing and loving and teaching us all how to deal with real life. God Bless.

Ann said...

I've been reading Lisa's blog for almost a year now, I think. And I had no idea that you had such a wonderful blog over here. Truth is being dramatic doesn't really help anything and having a little fun relieves a lot of stress. I think it is easier to enjoy the tough times when you know that God is in control. Worrying won't help anything so why do it. Elisabeth is a joy and a delight to so many. Everyone in my house over here in Pullman is praying for that little girl.

Jan said...

You understand the Plan lady. Pure and simple. It brings joy knowing someone is in control.

Lisa Christine said...

Oh Susan. What a lovely post! We are lucky, aren't we? This wonderful family that we can call our own. Pure happiness.

libbie said...

This IS a lovely post. So well written, just like all your others! And just like Jan said . . you understand THE PLAN . . . pure and simple. YOU, my friend, are an amazing lady! And you have yourself some amazing kids and grandkids too!

Amanda said...

Until yesterday i had no idea that your daughter-in-law had a blog ~ but i have now been to her place and read through a lot of her posts. They are such a sweet family and i will certainly visit her again and keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

You are a wonderful mother-in-law and grandmother. You are all so lucky to have each other.

Much love and a big hug,
Amanda x

David said...

back to lengthy posting. everything is right in the world. :)

dani said...

oh, suz, i'm so happy that you all can be lighthearted... especially around elisabeth!!! you know it has to be so much better for her than gloom. i know she feels it, and it has to be good for her. i cannot wait til the day she can laugh with you all:)
love and prayers,
dani xxx

Debie Spurgeon said...

What beautiful inspirational words Susan, I appreciate your positive attitude. I love that you are laughing and have good spirits. Little Elisabeth is being taken care of by your family and the doctors, you all will be blessed for you diligence and love you show to each other.

Marilyn said...

This is a beautiful post, thank you Susan.

David said...

susan, i see you just passed the 8000 visitor mark. congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Our prayers are with you.

Love,
Stephanie